Bad call?

DougPkrMonsta

DougPkrMonsta

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Just wanted to run this hand by you guys.

Final 4 of Tuesday's PS freeroll.

A 10 off on the button with 21BB. I min raise and small blind shoves 10BB. I call and his tens hold.

Was this a correct call?

http://www.boomplayer.com/en/poker-hands/Boom/20566042_FFE3480135

Once you've raised to 9200 and they go all in for 44112 you have to call 34912 more to win a pot which contains 58912 (your 9200, 4000 bb, 1600 antes, and the 44112 shove).

This means you are getting about 1.7 to 1 to call (pot = 58912 divided by risk = 34912) so you need about 37% equity (risk divided by (risk + pot) or 34912 divided 93824) versus their shoving range to break even on the call.

Compare this to what you know about this player's range, what percentage of hands is this player going all in with and how does ATo do against these hands?

I always used to use PokerStove to compare hands against ranges and you can still find this program, the website is just no longer working.

For instance against the top 10% of hands, ATo is 39.575% so it is greater than the 37% breakeven (assuming they are re-shoving only top 10% hands.

Give them only the top 5% and your equity goes down to 31.157% and you should fold.

I think against most players this is a profitable call, as top 10% includes 77+, A9s+, KTs+, QTs+, AJo+, and KQo.

The issue is: This is for half of your stack and depending on your read, it may be more profitable to let this one go and find a better spot.

Hope this helps and good luck at the tables! :D

T

trent32la

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Greatly depends on how wide your opponent is capable of reshoving. I snap fold here vs a NIT, but will call off vs most opponents since SB will be rejamming any ace, any pair, any broadway etc.

Personally I would just open shove this preflop. We want to apply max ICM pressure on our opponents, and by doing so we don't allow them to rejam light on us and force us to raise/fold and put us in awkward situations when we get jammed on. We'll also fold out some small pairs when open jamming.

andyt5303

andyt5303

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Thanks for your insight guys, much appreciated :)

milka1605

milka1605

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You incorrectly entered. It was necessary to fold. If you have an ace with a king it would have been correct. I am in such a situation would have done exactly the fold. You lost half stack.

T

trent32la

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You incorrectly entered. It was necessary to fold. If you have an ace with a king it would have been correct. I am in such a situation would have done exactly the fold. You lost half stack.
So you are only implying that our calling range should be AK+ and whatever pocket pairs and we should be raise/folding AJ/AQ? If our opponent's are playing that tight to where we have to r/f AJ/AQ, then we can raise atc here profitably.

Gh0stL

Gh0stL

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
PE
Chips
For me in this position and the villain go all-in, I fold. I thing AJ is not a good hand for me.

G

gatogl888

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Breakeven, was not a bad call, but as somebody said, you can find a better spot...