Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
Hello people.
In one of our free-rolls, I made this move:
http://www.boomplayer.com/en/poker-hands/Boom/11427453_CFA07F901C

No objections that I got lucky on the river, but my op there called it a "bad bluff". As I rarely bluff, I have limited experience. So I'm asking what you think?
I felt he was a bit uncertain post flop and as he checked the turn with 2 5s and 3 dimes on the board, I thought I'd scare him. Nevertheless I didn't, so he has every right to feel that he was mistreated by Lady Luck and I was a lucky River Rat.
But was it really a bad bluff?
If you had the 7s, what would you do?

Attachments

• Bluff01.JPG
    Bluff01.JPG
    51 KB · Views: 71
  • Bluff02.JPG
    Bluff02.JPG
    52.1 KB · Views: 71
Last edited:
DaveE

DaveE

Solvem probler
Project Moderator
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Page cannot be found.

DaveE

DaveE

Solvem probler
Project Moderator
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Just copy the link at the very top of your screen and post that.

As far as the bluff it would depend on your table image. If you've been tight I would probably give you credit for an overpair. If you've been splashing around I'm probably calling you down like villain did.

Did you raise preflop?

PsychoVas

PsychoVas

What The Duck???
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
Just copy the link at the very top of your screen and post that.

As far as the bluff it would depend on your table image. If you've been tight I would probably give you credit for an overpair. If you've been splashing around I'm probably calling you down like villain did.

Did you raise preflop?
I called his 3-bet pre. Called the C-bet, he checked the turn (3rd diamond).

trekmaster

trekmaster

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Looks like its only a bad bluff to him because he lost the hand.

R

RamdeeBen

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You should either be 4B shoving pre or folding. Given his 3B pre though and your flat call, your bluff shouldn't work that much given stack sizes and pot size.

That said, I think post flop is ok - would be much better if we was deeper. He's going to have a lot of AK in this spot and even AQ all of which probably fold. Unless he's trying to induce a shove like he did to call it off, not sure. The only thing that puts me off is the paired board and draws on the board which probably make him more likely to call of with any pair just because of how big the pot is, his 3B pre and stack sizes just going to make it hard for him to fold any paired hands.

If you're targeting exactly AK/AQ which, given his line...he can very well have those hands in his range given his CB on the flop and check on the turn then I think it's ok but that's only about the hands you can get to fold here.

PokerFunKid

PokerFunKid

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Would fold the 7s myself, but with AJ i would call you there. You're trying to represent the flush. But i think with 2 overs and a scary turn card your bluf was good. Most micro/freeroll tournament people will call you with just a jack there. What did you think the villian had?

PsychoVas

PsychoVas

What The Duck???
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
Would fold the 7s myself, but with AJ i would call you there. You're trying to represent the flush. But i think with 2 overs and a scary turn card your bluf was good. Most micro/freeroll tournament people will call you with just a jack there. What did you think the villian had?
Pocket pair.

romych007

romych007

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
in this situation, I would do the same self

G

gqr31ff

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
all you did the right thing with a hand and you have to play but he lost his hand

Zorba

Zorba

Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AQ
Chips
People he asked what would you do if you had the 7's.

I would have folded them on the turn, your call on the flop would have made me think you were on a flush draw or possibly AJ, then the raise on the turn would have made me think that 77 was no good.

n3rv

n3rv

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You should either be 4B shoving pre or folding. Given his 3B pre though and your flat call, your bluff shouldn't work that much given stack sizes and pot size.

Generally agree with this. It wasn't a really bad bluff, but unless villain has been 3-betting you often or you know he will check-fold often then it really isn't a great play to passively float A-high and hope he gives up. You don't have the betting lead, you have quite a short stack, and his pocket pair could easily have been higher than 77.

His bet on the flop was for value so he has probably taken your approach as weakness and your aggression on the turn as not making much sense at all. Why are you not scared of the nuts and why would you go all-in to induce a call if you thought you had the nuts? He has not much left to lose to find out after his pre-flop and post-flop decisions... literally nothing to lose, as it is a freeroll... but the pot odds were pretty good anyway if he was actually seriously debating the decision.

But yeah, a lot of people who play freerolls figure they might as well hold on to their initial instinct if they have caught anything of value, so sometimes it doesn't matter if your bluff or your semi-bluff makes sense to you or to other players. Different people approach the table in different moods. Generally speaking I probably wouldn't have played the 77 the same pre-flop or on the flop so the turn is a bit irrelevant. But if you shove at any time I obviously have a tough decision to make. It would be tougher if you had more chips but if I haven't seen you shove light before then it might be a fold most of the time.

Last edited:
C

CactusCat

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
As mentioned though, it was a paired board so he knows his 77s likely rate to be good. In a cash game I probably wouldn't be calling even if I thought you were bluffing as you'd at least have overcards and a big diamond. But in a tourney it's an ambitious bluff.

You don't have JJ or 1010 (obviously). You don't have QQ-KK-AA as you didn't 4-bet preflop, so the one hand you're representing is AJ offsuit with Ace of diamonds, no? You would never be doing this with the nut flush. That's a very narrow range to represent.

The fact that he made the call meant he read you as having exactly AK-AQ semibluff-shoving the turn trying to fold out small pocket pairs. But that should mean he'd be aware that you had a number of outs and he'd lose a decent percentage of the time despite being the favorite. It's barely a bad beat, it's not like he had a 5 and you hit a King on the river; he's just sore he lost the hand after making the correct call.

Aces2w1n

Aces2w1n

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I had pocket 9s blinds were 5k 10k im on the button and he was utg... stacks werent short or deep but he raised 2.5bb pre and he jammed the flop.. it was live and I can tell wen he has hitand called n doubled up

J

jj20002

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
the turn was an easy fold for pocket 7 (maybe it was me!!!), 77 had enough chips to survive (comparing with other players) wasnt pot comitted, and pot relation with stack was way lower than odds,

the odds from the standpoint of 77 (AQ had to consider those too):

1st scenario: holding a J or a T or a flush had to be considered, so 77 was dominated (and 2 cards to overcome)

2nd scenario: holding AK, AQ, K9, Q8 KQ and one of the cards is a diamond, the odds were 6 cards to get TP, 4 or 8 cards the straight and 9 cards (minus 4 or 6), plus 6 cards (J or T,) so 27 or 23 cards over 44

3rd scenario: the one that happened (was the best for 77 but how any could know) here AQ had 3 tens, 3 jacks, 3 queens, 3 aces, and 4 kings so 16 over 44 cards

4th scenario: a lower pair!

considering the size of the pot, the stack, the stage and the odds from the three scenarios combined (like a third for each) the outcome is a fold!

77 made a reading and put AQ in the third scenario where 77 was 2:1 winning (here it comes the bad bluff but in fact was a good one, not only because it worked, but because the odds were to low to pay)

dificult to know that 77 was in 4th scenario? 77 could have easily been something like AA, KK, QQ or quads, full or flush, or at least had a diamond then AQ were way behind,

therefore imho the way the hand was played was very scary from both sides for me was check turn and check river

Jacki Burkhart

Jacki Burkhart

long winded rambler...
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I don't think it is a bad bluff, and I think I would have folded my 77 on this turn card.

That said, I think you made a few mistakes in this hand and then actually made a good bluff on the turn that didn't work out, and then you got lucky.

Preflop: I agree with whoever said you should 4bet shove, or fold. Especially because of the presence of the initial raiser. how are you going to feel if you flat and then the original raiser jams? AQ is ahead of both of their ranges (though, not by a lot) but with FE I think you can jam AQ here profitably.

Flop: Given the action, I think you should just fold on the flop to his Cbet. he is representing strength. No reason we shouldn't believe that he has Top Pair or better. But even if he has a pair smaller than top pair, we're behind without any diamonds and the pot is getting big relative to our stack. Let's put it this way, what are you beating on this flop? AT or lower, KQ and pure bluffs. Pretty much everything else in his 3betting range is crushing you right now. Just let it go. If you had a big diamond it might be different, but you're basically just calling off a quarter of your remaining stack with 2 overs. Not a wise idea.

Turn: Once you get to the turn, and he checks to you I think it's OK to jam. You've kind of backed yourself into a corner and it seems like the best way out. If his flop bet was just a naked Cbet, then he should fold. If he has a hand like 66,77,88,99 he should usually find a fold here since another overcard arrived and the flush draw just got there.

River: hey, we all gotta get lucky sometimes! That is the beauty of being the aggressor. they say you have 2 ways to win: making them fold, or having the best hand... but we should really remember there is a 3rd way to win: having the worst hand and then sucking out! we've all done it...

horizon12

horizon12

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Fold preflop... In freeroll 3bet mean very good hands...

Yes , it very bad bluff vs 3 bet pot...

KUN_AGUERO_KROOS

KUN_AGUERO_KROOS

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
you both played the hand terribly. He`s a calling station and you played AQ pre flop like it were a monster.

Farseer

Farseer

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Not so bad play. I wouldn't have just called pre-flop though, shove is ok but so is folding if SB is tight. As played, I would have moved all-in @ flop.

alaz3r

alaz3r

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I hate bluff ,but i love when bluff me .. ;)