Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hi everyone.
[FONT=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif]
[/FONT]​
I have seen this hand posted in a forum in Spanish and I found it interesting, since AK off is, in my humble way of seeing, one of the most difficult hands to play preflop.
UTG+1: 1,760.00
UTG+2: 1,880.00
MP: 1,850.00
MP+1: 1,410.00
MP+2: 1,870.00
CO: 3,720.00
BTN: 2,780.00
Hero (SB): 2,110.00
BB: 480.00
UTG: 2,140.00

Hero posts SB 30.00, BB posts BB 60.00

Pre Flop: (pot: 90.00) Hero has A:spade: K:club:

fold, fold, fold, fold, MP+1 calls 60.00, fold, fold, BTN raises to 120.00, Hero calls 90.00, BB raises to 480.00 and is all-in, MP+1 calls 420.00, BTN calls 360.00, Hero calls 360.00

Flop: (1920.00, 4 players) 7:spade: 3:spade: 6:spade:
Hero checks, MP+1 bets 60.00, BTN raises to 2,280.00, Hero ?¿?​
Thanks in advance for your answers.
[FONT=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif]
[/FONT]​
Best regards from Buenos Aires.

puzzlefish

puzzlefish

🙉 🙈 🙊 student of the donk arts
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
This is one of those spots where the hero is probably well behind flopped sets, straights, and flushes. The pot odds aren't quite there for hero even if we consider the middle position player coming along when hero calls. I would say the hero should be folding here in the long run, although based on the type of game it wouldn't be a terrible decision to throw it all in here.

T

TheDev

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
AK is a great hand preflop but I have been in a few situations where I folded it preflop. When you have multiple people raising and reraising you can probably assume someone has pocket pair and depending on the aggressiveness likely could be KK or AA. Last time I remember folding this preflop someone did have AA and eliminated 3 players. I would've been the 4th had I stayed in.

Last edited:
B

BasTid

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
AK is a great hand preflop but I have been in a few situations where I folded it preflop. When you have multiple people raising and reraising you can probably assume someone has pocket pair and depending on the aggressiveness likely could be KK or AA. Last time I remember folding this preflop someone did have AA and eliminated 3 players. I would've been the 4th had I stayed in.

I agree with you.

I'll play AK pre vs 1 maybe 2 if I think they are pushing light. But it will always be situational and based off the players tendency's. I use to be GET IT IN! But... after being on the receiving of someone hitting their kicker. I'll only go in if its heads up. Otherwise I'm calling or folding.

My thought behind it is most players will push will either Ax suited or K with a good kicker or a pocket pair. If you are playing AKo chances are 1 cards are dead and you are also flipping against any pocket pair. The more players you come up against the more AK is not looking good. So in that situation I try avoid the flip and wait for a better spot if I can.

R

Rybod

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
to the right of a small stack and he already has money in the pot, he will do exactly that with any face card sometimes. plus the other callers.

would have folded it pre-flop for off-suit, called suited AK

big flop bet, you are folding easy with that.

L

lluminastars

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I think I would have re-raised the original button raise preflop. Or go all-in over the big blind's all-in.

greatgame230

greatgame230

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi, the hero did not make a 3 bet after raising the BTN he just called, with that board it would be crazy to call looking for the flush just would not make sense, this would vary depending on the tournament if it is a free most likely hero did call on the flop but by common sense it should be an easy fold

tame4g

tame4g

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hero should be 3 betting pre as well as squeeze shoving to pick up the dead money after two players call at this stack depth

R

rickblackdog

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You should absolutely be 3 betting to isolate here, you don’t want to be playing AK multi way as it’s often dominated by sets or 2p.

Z

zhilipp

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In 36% of the time you will have the nut flush and you get paid at least like 3 times the chips you risk. So depending on how important staying alive in the tournament is its a call to consider. If rewarded the risk youl have made a big pot.
Button could also semibluff some draws or low two pair wich gives you some backdoors.

TheDude6622

TheDude6622

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You're risking your stack for more than a double up. On the flop I call in this situation. In our minds we always think we have two overs to the board as well, but in this spot, we know someone has a set or straight on this board. If we were on the turn in this situation and still on a draw, I would fold. Since it's on the flop and get two shots to hit it, I would call.

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

Fully Tilted
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Preflop action is bad! A limped followed by a min-raise over limper??? Total rookie play! Raise it up to I-so that obvious rookie

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I have seen this hand posted in a forum in Spanish and I found it interesting, since AK off is, in my humble way of seeing, one of the most difficult hands to play preflop.

AK is actually one of the easiest hands to play preflop, and especially when you are only 35BB deep. You basically always raise or re-reraise, and if someone goes all in, you call. Just calling out of position and taking AK 4-ways to the flop, as this Hero did, is a very big mistake.

As for postflop its probably close, but it also does not matter, because Hero should never have seen the flop like this. If Hero 3-bets to around 500, and someone just call, then Hero jam this and many other flops, and then it just is, what it is.

moulan7

moulan7

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Preflop I see only two options if I was in your shoes.
I either 3-bet to around 600 or I go all in.
I prefer to go all in actually (yeah 35bb shove!) , especially if I suspect that everyone will call the raise xD.
If I 3-bet and get any callers, then I check/shove to a raise or donk shove on flop.
I really don't like your call. pre. I would have shove at least after the bb goes all in with his shortstack and 2 callers.

As played. I call BTN's shove on flop!!! xD

R

rcpeck

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I hate the call from the SB, as you're losing equity after the flop being out of position. I'd 3-bet here, then when the shorty ships, the button can only come along with a premium hand with you left to act.

If shorty ships, then button 5-bets I'm dumping AKo.

armoko

armoko

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I agree that AK is the most difficult hand to play preflop. In this situation I would fold its quite risky flop. The player got probably either straight or flush or some pocket pair

Tunkki

Tunkki

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Standard play for me is 3-bet pf. If you trap call and get raised you jam and possible get someone to fod pre-flop so you got already dead money on the pot.