AK suited spades all in on turn ($109 daily nl torunament)

S

Streatman184

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Good morning everyone,

A particular hand that always annoys the hell out of me is AK.

We all know if the flop misses any pair is ahead even if drawing to a straight or flush. We just passed the first break and starting stacks were 50k and I had about 90k second highest at the table (cut off had 120k) so here's the scenario.....i was the button and had AK of spades, utg calls along with two behind him for 2k (blinds are 1k and 2k) action folds to cut off whose chip leader of 120k who raises to 5k, I call with AK, small blind folds big blind calls, utg, and two players behind fold with three heading to the flop. Flop comes Qc-Ac-Kh. I flop top two and player first to act (bb) checks, player 2 (who was utg) bets 5k I reraise to 15k, player 1 thinks for a minute then calls, player 2 calls turn 5c, player 1 checks player 2 checks, I bet 30k thinking anyone with a 10 or one club might reconsider chasing.

Player one again thinks for a minute and calls, player 2 shoves all in the remaining 90k around (which he has both myself and player 1 covered in chips) and now I'm thinking did he slowplay a straight? Did he catch a flush? I had top two pair and any ace or possible king (I was hoping he didn't have me dominated with pocket aces with trips drawing to a better full house and I'm dead at that point.

So I thought for about two minutes and this is still early in the game with top 12 payouts top price 2,850 10-12 pays 200 and it's only 35 players at the moment usually reaching no more than 50 with 1 rebuy which I don't use. So I called and player 1 thinks for a minute and calls. I river brings a pathetic deuce of hearts and I realized I am crushed. I had top two AK....player 1 flopped three queens he had pocket queens, player to showed A7c and turned the flush.

I was so pissed off that I can't see this disaster coming, should I have bet more than 15k preflop? Even if I had got the A7c out of the hand pre-flop the pocket queens would've still called and I'm dominated top two against a set. If I represented 3 kings or aces on an AKQ board what amount would it had taken to get someone to lay down three queens even with a turn flush board. Or was this one of them hands I should've slowed down the betting because the board still is dangerous and I should've realized anyone calling preflop a decent raise has to more likely be coming in with a strong pocket pair or premium cards and had hit a set in this scenario.

My thinking was hoping on had AQoff and the other maybe AJ off or A10off drawing to an inside straight. Any feedback and criticism would help, it's hard to win let alone I study and still can't get ahead with this after over a decade

Last edited by a moderator:
Bozovicdj

Bozovicdj

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
First of all, welcome to CC, I can see that you are a newer member.
For your consideration: try writing posts that are more readable, with more space between the lines etc. :)
Also, check out the forum part about tournament poker, and post similar situations there (also check the thread about how to post hands for hand analysis :) )

As for the hand: as written, you have just called 5K from the BU giving great pot odds to every other player that was already in hand. That would be the first mistake IMO, as I would definitely make a re-raise pre-flop probably to about 18-22K or so.
As played, c-bet the flop, but slow down on the turn cause the possible flush got there.

Shells

Shells

Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Welcome to CardsChat!

Just a quick note - if you have a post with a lot of content, it's best to break it down into paragraphs - more people are likely going to read it and you will get your feedback.

Thanks!