AA vs QJs

PokerNuts01

PokerNuts01

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Did I incorrect played this hand? Why do people with such marginal hands have this much luck ???
PokerStars - 80/160 Ante 15 NL - Holdem - 9 players
Hand converted by PokerTracker 4

MP: 6.56 BB (VPIP: 2.70, PFR: 0.00, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 37)
MP+1: 4.88 BB (VPIP: 0.00, PFR: 0.00, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 36)
MP+2: 24.22 BB (VPIP: 26.32, PFR: 0.00, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 19)
CO: 5.06 BB (VPIP: 0.00, PFR: 0.00, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 32)
BTN: 24.09 BB (VPIP: 27.27, PFR: 0.00, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 12)
Hero (SB): 25.07 BB
BB: 5.38 BB (VPIP: 0.00, PFR: 0.00, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 32)
UTG: 60.79 BB (VPIP: 43.24, PFR: 27.03, 3Bet Preflop: 17.65, Hands: 37)
UTG+1: 7.2 BB (VPIP: 27.03, PFR: 0.00, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 37)

9 players post ante of 0.09 BB, Hero posts SB 0.5 BB, BB posts BB 1 BB

Pre Flop: (pot: 2.34 BB) Hero has A:spade: A:heart:

UTG raises to 2 BB, fold, fold, fold, fold, fold, fold, Hero raises to 5 BB, fold, UTG raises to 8 BB, Hero raises to 24.98 BB and is all-in, UTG calls 16.98 BB

Flop: (51.79 BB, 2 players) K:club: 7:club: Q:diamond:

Turn: (51.79 BB, 2 players) 6:club:

River: (51.79 BB, 2 players) 5:heart:

Hero shows A:spade: A:heart: (One Pair, Aces)
(Pre 80%, Flop 50%, Turn 0%)
UTG shows J:club: Q:club: (Flush, King High)
(Pre 20%, Flop 50%, Turn 100%)
UTG wins 51.79 BB

andyt5303

andyt5303

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Given that you had AA and got it all in pre with a caller you played the hand completely fine.

However 1/5 times this 4-betting mediocre hands donk wins this hand and it happened to be this one time - variance my friend ... don't let it get to you!

srqgrinder

srqgrinder

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Variance man. Its your worst enemy and your best friend. Even if you flatted the 8bb(I never would) it was still most likely getting in on the flop. Don't let variance scare you out of how you know you should play. Nothing you can do there but shake your head and keep going.

D

dejan85

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
well no good playing, raise must be tribet or bigger,when you have AA....

1putnik

1putnik

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I guess UTG tried to push on you by his stack, and after his 8BB-bet he had no more choice accept to call your all-in, besides QJs not so bad hand even against AA. Maybe if your all-in came after his 2BB everything would have turned out differently, but there's another "side of coin" - if he had fold it, this isn't valueable to you with AA. One thing I can say for sure - It was definitely bad luck for you, just keep your mind cold and move on.

Brandlad

Brandlad

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You just was a victim of Big stack strategy. J Q suited is an IDEAL hand for any super stack holder. Never go allin to a re-raise by a super stack holder unless it is must for your survival. You should have called his re-raised to see the flop and once you had seen two spades at flop then you could have easily saved yourself after turn by folding your hand.

J

John Bor

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I had a similar situation
I also lost a lot of money

Andrew Popov

Andrew Popov

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You just was a victim of Big stack strategy. J Q suited is an IDEAL hand for any super stack holder. Never go allin to a re-raise by a super stack holder unless it is must for your survival. You should have called his re-raised to see the flop and once you had seen two spades at flop then you could have easily saved yourself after turn by folding your hand.

Sorry, but this is nonsense. If you fold AA every time you see two suited cards on the flop - you should finish the game of poker. And even a raise from an aggressive player with a large stack does not mean that he definitely has a flush draw, and especially since it will close. The hero played it right. He just was not lucky.

In the tournament, a softer game is possible (so as not to lose space), but judging by the size of the bets it is still far from the prize zone, and to fold AA is completely against the odds.. :rolleyes:

FeRRi0

FeRRi0

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You did all right. On pre flop, if someone call your all-in with AA - you did your best. Another question for you - if you knew your opponents cards, didnt you go all-in? Probably you would go all-in anyway, so you did right

B

Bagdalac4ever

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You did right but it is not enough to have a great pair in your hands, you need luck too in poker game. I usually go all in with AA to avoid this kind of situations.

PokerNuts01

PokerNuts01

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Ideal hand? Call reraise withaut 4bet shove? See odds for this ideal hand pre-flop m8..
dbfd386ad3e3311226bc295b46bbc6b3.png

P

ph_il

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Did I incorrect played this hand? Why do people with such marginal hands have this much luck ??
You played it fine.

Marginal hands need luck to win because if they didn't win some of the time, players would fold them. And if they fold, you don't get paid off for your bigger hands.

xTTTx

xTTTx

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Push after the raise of the oponent would look better, in general, everything is correctly played on the stack

GRANDPAPA929

GRANDPAPA929

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You played well. But as I understand, it from my games, AA does not always win.
UTG just got lucky. Ohhh, how terrible these AA.

SuzdalDEcor

SuzdalDEcor

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
With QJs opp must call 3-bet preflop with good position. And on this flope he cant fold.

E

Edson

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Everything was fine with thih hand :) You played correctly but You was unlucky ;]

E

Edson

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

What are You talking about? AA is best hand and You always should going to make situation that You are in heads up with other player and playing for stack preflop. AA have more than 80% to any other hand so no matter that You play against big or short stack.

S

stokedog4

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You didn't everything fine. You just didn't hold - so that's your only "mistake" you made.... : )

well played man, just unlucky

G

GIB

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think you played correctly ... your aggressive opponent I think nothing stopped even if you immediately made all-in ... it's a coin flip and a loss is possible

R

reggie_g

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
good play,all the money went in pre while your holding the best hand,just one of those bad beats

mcgregor_415

mcgregor_415

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
This is the best possible play. You managed to put your opponent in a position to call your all in. If you went with direct all in after his initial bet, probably he wouldn't call, but after he committed with the 4-raise, it was just easier for him to call. He's got lucky, a classic bad beat!

Lerts

Lerts

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
QJ my favourite hand so im biase to this discussion. However i would say, due to the fact that is preflop says its a coin flip, even AAs can be cracked with preflop coin flips. Yes AAs is the best hand especially to go all in with preflop but they still get crack sometimes, small percentage of the times. Its a bad beat thats all i can say. If u did call and saw the flop you might then reevaluate and probably get out of the hand when he continued to bet.... or not. Its still i flop that i would call any all in with, with my AAs. So you're just unfortunate sir, tough luck and keep grinding

P

ph_il

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
QJ my favourite hand so im biase to this discussion. However i would say, due to the fact that is preflop says its a coin flip, even AAs can be cracked with preflop coin flips. Yes AAs is the best hand especially to go all in with preflop but they still get crack sometimes, small percentage of the times. Its a bad beat thats all i can say. If u did call and saw the flop you might then reevaluate and probably get out of the hand when he continued to bet.... or not. Its still i flop that i would call any all in with, with my AAs. So you're just unfortunate sir, tough luck and keep grinding
How is 80/20 a coin flip?

WTF kind of coins do you use?

Or are you talking a coin flip as in it either wins/loses, giving you the 50/50 results?

Lerts

Lerts

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
How is 80/20 a coin flip?

WTF kind of coins do you use?

Or are you talking a coin flip as in it either wins/loses, giving you the 50/50 results?

Yes that in the very moment it's 50/50, just cause we don't know what will come, yes in all situations similar to this and ur holding AAs u have to call.....it's a +ev decision, folding will be a bad play as this play is spread out over couple few times u only lose a small percentage of the time, BUT u don't actually know when are the times u are gonna lose, which means yes it is a coin flip , and it was this time unfortunate that u end up in the small percentage of losing. Just unfortunate that's all