$70 NLHE MTT Deep Stacked: Shoving on the turn with AA on a pretty safe board

guccipix

guccipix

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Playing in a $70 dollar buy in live tournament, starting stack is 30k, I have 26-27k, i get aces on the button. Blinds are 400-800 with a small ante, one player from middle position flats for 800, when it’s my turn to act I raise to 2500. SB and BB fold, the guy who flatted calls my raise. Flop comes J96, believe it was a rainbow. He leads with about 3k, I call. Turn comes a good card for me, think it was a 4 but put a flush draw out there. He bets 5k or so, I go all in. He calls and turns over J9 offsuit. The river is a king, I lose the pot. I had him covered but was down to about 9k after the hand.
The reason I am posting is because I’ve thought about this hand a lot in the past week and can’t seem to come to any conclusion other than having played it perfectly, just got beat this time. I think J9 is the only hand he is playing this way. JJ, 99 or 66 are raising preflop, I don’t think 44 is leading on the flop, and I’m beating hands like J10, KJ, QJ, meaning the only hand beating me is exactly the hand he has. I think i played this one right and in another spot i would have won a nice pot, but I’d like to hear if someone else would play it differently. Maybe Just a call and no shove and he’d slow down on the river and i could check behind or do a small value bet.

W

wilywiles

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thats the tricky thing about Aces, Kings, Queen. They are the most exciting hands to wait for but are incredibly hard to get away from. Theres not really much you can do here, it played out the way the cards are dealt and thats just how poker goes. Best thing you can do is just keep your composure and dont let these kind of situatuons throw you off your game.

rikoberto

rikoberto

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Playing in a $70 dollar buy in live tournament, starting stack is 30k, I have 26-27k, i get aces on the button. Blinds are 400-800 with a small ante, one player from middle position flats for 800, when it’s my turn to act I raise to 2500. SB and BB fold, the guy who flatted calls my raise. Flop comes J96, believe it was a rainbow. He leads with about 3k, I call. Turn comes a good card for me, think it was a 4 but put a flush draw out there. He bets 5k or so, I go all in. He calls and turns over J9 offsuit. The river is a king, I lose the pot. I had him covered but was down to about 9k after the hand.
The reason I am posting is because I’ve thought about this hand a lot in the past week and can’t seem to come to any conclusion other than having played it perfectly, just got beat this time. I think J9 is the only hand he is playing this way. JJ, 99 or 66 are raising preflop, I don’t think 44 is leading on the flop, and I’m beating hands like J10, KJ, QJ, meaning the only hand beating me is exactly the hand he has. I think i played this one right and in another spot i would have won a nice pot, but I’d like to hear if someone else would play it differently. Maybe Just a call and no shove and he’d slow down on the river and i could check behind or do a small value bet.

Hey guccipix..i agree with the way you play it..Lets take it from beginning..Standard 3bet in position and standard call on the flop..on turn the pot is already 12,5K chips and he bets 5K..so it becomes 17.5K and you have 21.5K behind you,facing a decision..Lets look his range..he limped-call your isolation,(so as you correctly said most of times he doesnt have 99,66,JJ) and then he leads twice on flop and turn..His double barrels shows his hand has equity at this board..
Lets see what hands could limp-call and can have in his range that have equity on the turn:Top pair-good kicker and 2 pairs,straight draws,gutshots,flushdraw or pair and flushdraw..Only hand in his narrowed range which you are behind on the turn is J9 as you said..i agree with shove for couple of reasons..
1)By shoving,all of his Jx+ hands gonna call your shove(something you want as you are way ahead to most of them),and you deny equity on his draws,making his potential call not +EV..2)By calling there are a lot of cards that you can afraid on river,for straights,flushes or 2 pairs(we assume that we dont know he has already 2pairs) that can put you in difficult position on river,especially when pot would be 22.5k and you will have 16.5k left so SPR<1
3)By just calling if he is on draw and he missed,he will comfortably check/fold most of times so you will not take more value..
So i think you played it fine..just you were unlucky on this spot..move on and good luck next time :)

1dkp0k3r

1dkp0k3r

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Seems pretty standard to me. Only other way to play it would be to just call the Turn and re evaluate on the River. If you know this player to be tight, I would opt for a Turn call. On the River he would only be betting KJ or better, so if he is tight and bets all 3 streets you can easily fold the river

hugh blair

hugh blair

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Maybe All in preflop win the 2500 or 3000 pot including blinds and antes was the better play winning a small pot instead of losing a huge pot this move would have left u close to 30000 chips instead of in danger zone or 9ooo chips I know you want value but it is dangerous letting opponents cards see flop against you as they will not pay you unless they hit big also surprised the big blind did not put 1700 more in with any 2 I think you should 5x minimum 4000 to go or all in preferably hindsight a great thing good luck

S

Sprockett

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I dont think I could get away from this one. I would however raise his donk bet on the flop. This is a draw heavy board and there are a lot of cards on the turn that would scare the crap out of me. Since he only have about a 12 k stack left after his bet, and the pot is 9-10 k already I would raise enough to commit him (I think a shove is fine). This way he his gonna pay for it if he has a draw/is behind and if we are beat we are paying him of anyway.

Just my 2 cents

Safe Poker Sites