$7 sit and go 18 players

K

KLDUFF1987

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
So was playing in a $7 18 man sit and go, had A8 and there was a limp from villian so I raised to 244 with A8 off I hit my pair on the flop, hen this happens was my play okay here ?

pokerstars Hand #153773804397: Tournament #1574811497, $6.45+$0.55 USD Hold'em No Limit - Level IV (40/80) - 2016/05/24 14:53:26 WET [2016/05/24 9:53:26 ET]
Table '1574811497 2' 9-max Seat #5 is the button
Seat 3: Maydayplay (348 in chips)
Seat 4: jack.pozz1 (2932 in chips)
Seat 5: SimplyCool66 (1297 in chips)
Seat 6: general_jim3 (1870 in chips)
Seat 7: anoan_fide (1281 in chips)
Seat 8: cwyw4 (1884 in chips)
Seat 9: swanns (3838 in chips)
Maydayplay: posts the ante 10
jack.pozz1: posts the ante 10
SimplyCool66: posts the ante 10
general_jim3: posts the ante 10
anoan_fide: posts the ante 10
cwyw4: posts the ante 10
swanns: posts the ante 10
general_jim3: posts small blind 40
anoan_fide: posts big blind 80
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to SimplyCool66 [Ad 8c]
cwyw4: folds
swanns: calls 80
Maydayplay: folds
jack.pozz1: folds
SimplyCool66: raises 164 to 244
general_jim3: folds
anoan_fide: folds
swanns: calls 164
*** FLOP *** [9h 7s 8h]
swanns: checks
SimplyCool66: bets 321
swanns: calls 321
*** TURN *** [9h 7s 8h] 9♠
swanns: checks
SimplyCool66: bets 722 and is all-in
swanns: calls 722
*** RIVER *** [9h 7s 8h 9s] K♥
*** SHOW DOWN ***
swanns: shows [Ks Jc] (two pair, Kings and Nines)
SimplyCool66: shows [Ad 8c] (two pair, Nines and Eights)
swanns collected 2764 from pot
SimplyCool66 finished the tournament in 14th place
*** SUMMARY ***
Total pot 2764 | Rake 0
Board [9h 7s 8h 9s Kh]
Seat 3: Maydayplay folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 4: jack.pozz1 folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 5: SimplyCool66 (button) showed [Ad 8c] and lost with two pair, Nines and Eights
Seat 6: general_jim3 (small blind) folded before Flop
Seat 7: anoan_fide (big blind) folded before Flop
Seat 8: cwyw4 folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 9: swanns showed [Ks Jc] and won (2764) with two pair, Kings and Nines

MediaBLITZ

MediaBLITZ

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
There's no info on your villain, so analysis will be incomplete on anyones part.

I have no range on your opponent - did you?

PF raise should have been 300 minimum. Anything under that and the chip leader is probably going to call with anything (he was going to call that here anyway).

Did you realize you were up against the biggest stack at the table? What was your thought process before the flop? Was he showing weakness earlier to fold to 3 bets?

His play was, to say the least, not standard. So I would think there was some sort of clue that he was a loose cannon. Is that why you followed this line? What did you think when he check/called your flop?

The answer to your question lies in your thought process, so if you can elaborate on that a little more you will get a better answer to your question - in fact YOU will probably find the answer yourself.

K

KLDUFF1987

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
There's no info on your villain, so analysis will be incomplete on anyones part.

I have no range on your opponent - did you? - He was a loose cannon, he doubled up with A7off and called a lot of pots and limped a lot

PF raise should have been 300 minimum. Anything under that and the chip leader is probably going to call with anything (he was going to call that here anyway).

Did you realize you were up against the biggest stack at the table? What was your thought process before the flop? Was he showing weakness earlier to fold to 3 bets? Yes I relised that he was a bigger stack than myself and as said before he did call a lot, raise maybe every 3 hands or so

His play was, to say the least, not standard. So I would think there was some sort of clue that he was a loose cannon. Is that why you followed this line? What did you think when he check/called your flop? I felt that he missed the flop when he checked as most of the time if in eailer hands he'd of bet

The answer to your question lies in your thought process, so if you can elaborate on that a little more you will get a better answer to your question - in fact YOU will probably find the answer yourself.

I also like to put that he was on other tables like 3 or 4 most from $7 same as me

MediaBLITZ

MediaBLITZ

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
So if you are saying the bottom of his range is around A7, then you want to have a bit stronger than A8 to bring war to him.

If he's working several tables then he's probably playing with a HUD, if you are not then, again, be careful about bringing the fight to him if you don't have a HUD.

I see the blinds are only 40-80, so you haven't seen too many hands from him, unless you have a history on your HUD? How do you know he's not just playing Snyder Tournament Formula poker as opposed to being a donkey (although the results of this hand strongly suggest the latter). That is, mixing it up and being aggressive while the blinds are small and affordable.

What did you put him on when he check called the flop? I understand you thought he missed the flop from the check, but what about when he called? What did you think he was calling with?

Anyway, giving your play every benefit of the doubt, A8o is not strong enough to 3 bet a "loose cannon" preflop - you know he's going to call most of the time so just flat it if your not intending to shove the flop.

You played it better than he did but with guys like these you have to either get out of the way until... or when you do get aggressive, no half stepping, force him into harder decisions.

J

JPainTrainSicko

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
+1 mediaBLITZ, great thoughts and analysis

MasterOfDisaster

MasterOfDisaster

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Tbh shove or fold preflop. Prolly best to just fold with 16bb

W

WiZZiM

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
yeh raising here is a super iffy play, you dont have the chips and your SPR postflop will always be horrendous. you do have position but too many players to act behind and you are almost always going postflop with this hand.