£60 NLHE MTT Deep Stacked: What could I have done differently?

W

Winston Taylor

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Tournament: £60 buy in £8k guaranteed (Live)
Starting stack: 50k

Level 2: 150/300 (50 ante)

Hero stack: 70k
Villain stack: 75k

I pick up QdQc in the big blind. There are 5 limps preflop including the button (villain). I raise it up to 3,000 (my reasoning for this is there have been a lot of limp callers in this tournament and this is not a hand I would like to play 6 ways so I would rather isolate one or two players). It folds round to the button who calls.

The flop comes down 3h4c10c.

I lead out for 3,200 (I guess I should make a case for charging some draws incorrect odds to call but I don't want to price out smaller pairs or two overs and not extract any value). The button reraises to 13,200, to which I call (I thought about raising here, but again I don't want to price him out with hands he is either scared of draws with or a draw itself).

The turn comes 8c.

I don't really believe he has much of anything here due to his aggressive nature in previous hands, so I check to induce a second barrel. The villain then goes all in, which has me covered. I elect to call (reasoning here as previously said is I don't really believe he has much of anything on that board, plus if he has a made flush I have the queen of clubs to potentially draw to a higher straight (except against Ax Kx of clubs)). The villain turns over 9h7c.

The river comes Jh.

And I pick up my coat and leave.

Is this the correct line to be taking, what could I have done better? Could I have reraised the flop or should I have lead out on the turn?

A

AviCKter

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Tough spot, dude.

Pre-Flop: I don't agree with the logic that making it 10x would scare everyone away, given the pot is already 4650 and they need to call 2700 more. What you're effectively doing here is making the pot unnecessarily big. You wanted to clear the field a bit, so a 7.5x raise would have achieved the same result. Anyways, not a big issue.

Flop: You c-bet and the Villain re-raises. Now in that spot, I think the Villain does it with flush draws, sometimes with straight draws, sometime with top pair or mediocre pair like 55-99, and sometimes even with set. But given that he's aggressive, I would put my money on mostly draws.
So a call here is fine, IMO.

Turn: You tried to induce, and he obliges. But check the board, if he was on a flush draw, he just completed. If he had a set, you're already beat. If he has a pair, he's not risking it that much, even if he's aggressive. He's not going to put all his chips in the middle, with just a mediocre hand. Here you're only beating bluffs at this moment. And the only bluff I can think of is a straight draw (65, A2, A5).
Personally, I might have taken my time and folded. Yes this time he had a bluff and you were right, but I would have rather not taken that spot. You still would have been left with 54K (180bb), that's way too much to be honest and lot can be achieved with that many Big blinds.

But you had a read & you were right. You should always go with what your instinct tells you, despite the outcome. Hard luck this time though.

Queen of hearts

Queen of hearts

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you have a ready hand, why do you play limp preflop?
Raise to 5-7 BB

Mini1380

Mini1380

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You carnt win them all and I think u was just unlucky. I would of played very similar

W

Winston Taylor

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks for the in depth analysis AviCKter. I guess my stack size is something I should be considering against an all in in such a marginal spot. Even if I believe he's making a play it still might not be worth risking at that stage of the tournament given I still had 180bb. I will try and not inflate the pot too much in future as well as this could lead to being put in tricky spots with marginal holdings, particularly out of position.

S

StuKers

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
We will be in bad shape most of the times, IMO

I agree with what AviCKter said. I would just add that on the turn, if we call what are we expecting him to turn over? One of two things, hands that beat us and hands that don´t beat us. Let's see:

Hands that beat us: flushes (which are likely according to his play, but we might have some equity against, because of our Q, like you said) and made sets. Of course he can have KK or AA, but it is very very probably he doesn't.

Hands that we beat: A-10, K-10, Q-10 and straight draws.

I would have done the same you did, but I think I would've folded on the turn, because in my opinion it is not worth the risk. Like AviCKter said, if we fold we still have a lot of chips. It's early in the tournament, we can afford to let go this marginal spots and wait to find better ones. :)

DontAskWh

DontAskWh

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hello.
I think the raise on the preflop is a big , and since I didn't understand why he called with 9 7. I think on his minds was to steal the pot.
Well, even , If he called , and you make a raise , and he maked a re-raise right? Why you didn't just clicked the ALL IN button at the flop , and I think he would fold on this situation.
At the turn he going all in , and I really didn't understand him why?? what was on his minds a big bluff? maybe yes.
Really sadly the river killed you , and really is sadly. I think he isn't a good player, because he make such of stupids bluffs.
Well on your situation. As you said with a lof of limpers. I think on such of situation 4BB-5BB would be a nice raise pre-flop, and If you raise at the flop with QQ , and he made re-raise. I think it was better if you just click the all in button at the flop.
Specially with a lot of limpers on your situation why you didn't think if he had AA or KK he should make a decent raise at the pre flop to protect his hand or re-raise when you make a big raise. I suggest to you to use more agressive style on the flop on such of situations.
Better luck to you next time.
Thanks.

Last edited: