$6.60 NLHE MTT Turbo: AQo on Button vs. BB defend

M

Minikiwi9

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
https://www.cardschat.com/replayer/5qhE7yI

No going to lie, felt kinda lost on this hand. But I will try and write out my thoughts best I can.
We are ITM (Wohoo!) 4 left, about 200 hands with BB and he is 27/6 VP/PFR.

I start with a Min bet, which I feel is fine, though given stack depths 2.2/2.5 may be better here?

None the less, the flop, rather dry. I know it is standard and most common to bet small with most of your range. Alas this time I didn't and not really sure on why. I think a 20k bet would have been best here, so that I can bet when I hit or on scare cards..

The Turn - I hit the Q - Hurray! I think the lack of my betting caused him to stab, and try and take it down, then I drop the Raise which he quickly called. I like the raise on the turn, as I have the best hand most of the time here- aside from a slow-played 75, possibly 52s. When he calls my raise I wasn't sure really what to think

The river came the K, which I remembered what I was thinking when I shoved. I essentially thought, well if I go half pot or a smaller value bet sizing, and he jams. I am going to call it off, why not just Jam myself. Which doesn't really sound like good reasoning, hence what I thought none the less here.:icon_puke. I don't really see myself getting called by worse here so I know it isn't a good play. If I had QJ in his shoes I would be concerned for sure with calling this.

I feel like I tripped myself up one the Flop and him calling my raise on the turn so quickly I got thrown off and not going to like felt uncomfortable in the situation some, hence why I'm looking for some help. I'm curious to here others thoughts and finding a better line to this hand.:cool:

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Preflop
I agree, that your preflop raise could have been larger. It would have created a lower stack to pot ratio, which might have helped on the river.

Flop
I dont mind checking back here. AQ has showdown value. A small bet would be fine as well.

Turn
I like your raise. Sizing is fine as well.

River
I like a small river bet here like 30% pot. You lose to KQ now, so you are trying to get called by QJ or worse, and those hands are probably not calling an overbet essentially for their tournament life. If he check-jam, your hand is a bluff catcher, and you just make a decision.

300HPGOD

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Personally I am fine with everything in this hand except the jam on the river. You are only getting called if you are beat. He is not calling with one pair hands of a 3,4, or 6. A Q calls which is the only thing you get value from with a bet like this but it is rare since 2 are exposed. A smaller bet of anywhere from quarter to 40% of the pot is better since now you are using a sizing where worse hands then you will call. He probably has something since he called your turn raise. Try to get some value from that on the river.

moulan7

moulan7

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi there,

Preflop your raise is fine as long you always make that size and you don't change it (except you are the SB). If you change it for other factors other than your hand's strength then ok, I guess depends on the player. For example I always open 2.1x (lol) no matter what unless I'm the sb where I go for more than 2.5x.
So nothing wrong if your standard size is 2x and you never change it.

Postflop I don't mind checking back (with the intention to call any turn if he bets) or a 30%pot bet.
Personally, I always check back because of my showdown value and pot control.

Turn. He bets 30% of the pot. Maybe a try to bluff and take the pot.
I bet he's sizing would have been larger if he had any flopped set, since he already lost the opportunity to build the pot on the flop.
Also I find it weird that he calls your raise. In his shoes I check with a Queen, I don't know what he's betting with but since he calls your raise probably he has something (probably a Q? can't say for sure).
I don't know if I like your reraise here, but probably it is a good aggressive move that takes value from any weaker Queens.

On the river as you already understand it's almost impossible for someone to call your shove with a weaker holding than yours :p.
Maybe you want to make it look as a bluff and provoke the call, but all you do is that you risk yourself without reason since your holding is not that strong for such a move and you push away hands that may could possibly pay you some value.

Also this line in this hand it could go the same way if he had indeed a set xD. Since your reraise could inspire him to check the river :p .

So nothing wrong with this hand, from my point of view, except your shove. I value bet would have been much better.

M

Minikiwi9

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I appreciate your thoughts on here throughout my various hands, I really like your way of thinking and can tell you have put in more study and volume than me (so far:p) I know it is okay to check back with some portion of my range some of the time, and I feel like it was okay to do it here though it isn't standard for me so I feel like I put some unnecessary pressure on myself regarding it.

I agree with what you are saying on the river (as well as everyone else) may as well get a small value bet and try and get called by QT, Q9, Q8, maybe even a 55 or 77. If I put in a 80k bet on the river and he jams. Now that I am thinking with clarity, I would likely fold as river jam bluffs don't come in to often in these smaller stakes, though it would be an on the spot decision as my hand is pretty solid.

Again thanks for the thoughts, I'm enjoying posting on here and embarrassing myself, humbling and I know it will help me in the end. GLGL:cool:
Preflop
I agree, that your preflop raise could have been larger. It would have created a lower stack to pot ratio, which might have helped on the river.

Flop
I dont mind checking back here. AQ has showdown value. A small bet would be fine as well.

Turn
I like your raise. Sizing is fine as well.

River
I like a small river bet here like 30% pot. You lose to KQ now, so you are trying to get called by QJ or worse, and those hands are probably not calling an overbet essentially for their tournament life. If he check-jam, your hand is a bluff catcher, and you just make a decision.

M

Minikiwi9

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thank you moulan.

I have done some 2.2x raising , and still do it on occasion in some MTTs. Mainly for slightly worse odds, and some think 'oh, its over min' and aren't familiar with calling or not in that case.
Now that I have been thinking about it more checking back flop feels fine and correct, though in game it made me feel a bit more lost. Then him calling turn raise made me feel clueless.
It would have been a pretty intense bluff catch for him, and I agree a massive risk. Obviously not a good line.
Happy to improve and move on from here. Thanks again!:cool:
Hi there,

Preflop your raise is fine as long you always make that size and you don't change it (except you are the SB). If you change it for other factors other than your hand's strength then ok, I guess depends on the player. For example I always open 2.1x (lol) no matter what unless I'm the sb where I go for more than 2.5x.
So nothing wrong if your standard size is 2x and you never change it.

Postflop I don't mind checking back (with the intention to call any turn if he bets) or a 30%pot bet.
Personally, I always check back because of my showdown value and pot control.

Turn. He bets 30% of the pot. Maybe a try to bluff and take the pot.
I bet he's sizing would have been larger if he had any flopped set, since he already lost the opportunity to build the pot on the flop.
Also I find it weird that he calls your raise. In his shoes I check with a Queen, I don't know what he's betting with but since he calls your raise probably he has something (probably a Q? can't say for sure).
I don't know if I like your reraise here, but probably it is a good aggressive move that takes value from any weaker Queens.

On the river as you already understand it's almost impossible for someone to call your shove with a weaker holding than yours :p.
Maybe you want to make it look as a bluff and provoke the call, but all you do is that you risk yourself without reason since your holding is not that strong for such a move and you push away hands that may could possibly pay you some value.

Also this line in this hand it could go the same way if he had indeed a set xD. Since your reraise could inspire him to check the river :p .

So nothing wrong with this hand, from my point of view, except your shove. I value bet would have been much better.

SuzdalDEcor

SuzdalDEcor

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I dont like this push on the river. I think he will be fold all worst hands. I think bet 2/3 of pot will be very good.

moulan7

moulan7

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thank you moulan.

I have done some 2.2x raising , and still do it on occasion in some MTTs. Mainly for slightly worse odds, and some think 'oh, its over min' and aren't familiar with calling or not in that case.
Now that I have been thinking about it more checking back flop feels fine and correct, though in game it made me feel a bit more lost. Then him calling turn raise made me feel clueless.
It would have been a pretty intense bluff catch for him, and I agree a massive risk. Obviously not a good line.
Happy to improve and move on from here. Thanks again!:cool:

Hi there,

no problem, happy to be of any assistance.
Don't thank me cause I 'll thank you too! Thank you xD.

Something else about the check back on the flop.
Sometimes a good player might be tempted to check raise you with air here if you bet, since that flop (although dry) has nothing to do with your range.
If this happens you must be ready to call that check raise too when you decide to make that cbet.
This is one more reason, for me at least, to check back.

1player2

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
https://www.cardschat.com/replayer/5qhE7yI

No going to lie, felt kinda lost on this hand. But I will try and write out my thoughts best I can.
We are ITM (Wohoo!) 4 left, about 200 hands with BB and he is 27/6 VP/PFR.

I start with a Min bet, which I feel is fine, though given stack depths 2.2/2.5 may be better here?

None the less, the flop, rather dry. I know it is standard and most common to bet small with most of your range. Alas this time I didn't and not really sure on why. I think a 20k bet would have been best here, so that I can bet when I hit or on scare cards..

The Turn - I hit the Q - Hurray! I think the lack of my betting caused him to stab, and try and take it down, then I drop the Raise which he quickly called. I like the raise on the turn, as I have the best hand most of the time here- aside from a slow-played 75, possibly 52s. When he calls my raise I wasn't sure really what to think

The river came the K, which I remembered what I was thinking when I shoved. I essentially thought, well if I go half pot or a smaller value bet sizing, and he jams. I am going to call it off, why not just Jam myself. Which doesn't really sound like good reasoning, hence what I thought none the less here.:icon_puke. I don't really see myself getting called by worse here so I know it isn't a good play. If I had QJ in his shoes I would be concerned for sure with calling this.

I feel like I tripped myself up one the Flop and him calling my raise on the turn so quickly I got thrown off and not going to like felt uncomfortable in the situation some, hence why I'm looking for some help. I'm curious to here others thoughts and finding a better line to this hand.:cool:

Hello,

I recommend betting more aggressively preflop. Happily take the blinds.