$5500 NLHE MTT: $5500 NLHE : Kings preflop

V

vinit207

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I played in a local tournament last night. On the second level (blinds 50/100), I had Kings preflop in UTG+2. My stack size was $5550 (very close to buy-in of $5500)

A very aggressive (and loose) player in the UTG limped with $100. She was playing in lots of hands and making lots of big bets with hands like small pocket pairs and weak Aces.

The action was folded to me. I raised to $250. Everyone else folded. UTG then raised to $1500.

Based on her past moves and the limp UTG, I put her on a semi-premium hand (maybe even queens or AK) but not AA.

So I went all-in. She struggled with the decision for a while, made a lot of noise like "Ahh I should not be calling this but I want to see the flop". Eventually calls with pair of 10s.

The flop has a 10 in it and no kings show up. She has me barely covered so I bust out.

Given my stack size and hand, I think this was the right play on my part but I'd be happy to be proven wrong and improve my play. Any comments and suggestions would be greatly appreciated here.

B

Brawo

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
At the beginning I would little bigger bet to 350, early position and one limper, but it woudn't change anything, he would made 3-bet.
Difficult spot, even the best players rarely fold kings. Here you could be suspicious, but you had a read about him and 3-bet size was too big 6x! You had a lot of blinds, but If I were you I would probably call. I wish in the future I will be able to fold kings in some spots preflop.

M

maestro_et

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Right play

Preflop AI with KK after a limp-raise would have done exactly the same. Best hand should win, lucky hit by O doesn't make it a bad call. After 100 similar scenarios you'll find yourself having won about 75 of them.

Just climb back on that horse

puzzlefish

puzzlefish

student of the donk arts
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Yup, I bet it stings to lose your buy in at that level. Hopefully it doesn't put a dent in your bank roll. That was an all-in from KK any day. Too bad your aggro villain got lucky this time.

Had you just called, would it have made a difference? I don't think you could get off of KK once she starts betting or calling on the flop. It's just a situation where you can't help but lose your stack, since you're expecting to be beat by AA only with that raise size.

V

vinit207

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks guys. The buy-in was only $40 so I am not concerned about that.

At this stage of learning, I am more concerned about making the right plays under pressure.

S

skeptix

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You got it in good, and you played the hand fine. Next time just don't lose the showdown!

V

Veritas

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
never fold kings unless it's a sat bubble and V has you covered

you were 80 - 20 ahead, so it's fine

Thanks guys. The buy-in was only $40 so I am not concerned about that

misleading thread title then

Katie Dozier

Katie Dozier

Poker Expert
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
$5500 NLHE MTT: $5500 NLHE : Kings preflop

At the beginning I would little bigger bet to 350

I agree with Brawo about raising bigger, in fact, given your read on this limper I would strongly consider making an unbalanced, much bigger than standard raise size, such as 6x.

Versus an opponent playing the way the limper was, they will tend to call large raises preflop even with the worst of it, as the limper does in fact do later on in this hand. In general if you’re up against someone that’s a calling station, and you have a huge hand, get in as much as possible to maximize your EV. [emoji4]

V

vinit207

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
misleading thread title then[/QUOTE]

Didnt mean to mislead. The usual tournament buy-in is different from the tournament chip counts so I thought that was implied.

Either way, losing that stack hurt :)

okeedokalee

okeedokalee

Glory To Ukraine
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
NZ
Chips
Having Katie as our expert is +EV. Confirmed my thinking on how to play the hand. Hammer the calling stations for as many chips as possible.
You were unlucky to be sucked out on. The read was good.
Re-raise Stations large, pre-flop, and keep hammering them. They and passive players are your sources for gathering a big chip stack.
Google "box breathing", it is a source of calmness used by Navy Seals and will help you deal with beats such as these

Katie Dozier

Katie Dozier

Poker Expert
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Having Katie as our expert is +EV. Confirmed my thinking on how to play the hand. Hammer the calling stations for as many chips as possible.

Aw, you’re too kind, thank you :)

VovanBaron

VovanBaron

RiddlesInTheShadow
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The deciding thing of your line is preflop bet. 250$ raise gives good pot oods to call after you so I think 350$-450$ bet is better vs aggroloose limper, such raise probably prevents his 3bet and makes him to play safety.
Anyway it is a cooler totally and you played good enough.But there are some hugely important points:
Raise more esp. with premiums vs loose agroo opps.(3.5-4.5x)
Dont 4bet jam with kk qq ak vs utg cause you isolate yourself against aa.just call 3-bet(vs limper) call 4bet (bb 65-75+)
P.s. good reads for opp.

V

Veritas

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
misleading thread title then

Didnt mean to mislead. The usual tournament buy-in is different from the tournament chip counts so I thought that was implied.

Either way, losing that stack hurt :)[/QUOTE]

it Always hurts to lose when far ahead.

just look at it this way: everytime you lose preflop all-in with an overpair and 80-20 odds, you get 1 suckout credited with your pair vs AA ;)

K

kanselau

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I played in a local tournament last night. On the second level (blinds 50/100), I had Kings preflop in UTG+2. My stack size was $5550 (very close to buy-in of $5500)

A very aggressive (and loose) player in the UTG limped with $100. She was playing in lots of hands and making lots of big bets with hands like small pocket pairs and weak Aces.

The action was folded to me. I raised to $250. Everyone else folded. UTG then raised to $1500.

Based on her past moves and the limp UTG, I put her on a semi-premium hand (maybe even queens or AK) but not AA.

So I went all-in. She struggled with the decision for a while, made a lot of noise like "Ahh I should not be calling this but I want to see the flop". Eventually calls with pair of 10s.

The flop has a 10 in it and no kings show up. She has me barely covered so I bust out.

Given my stack size and hand, I think this was the right play on my part but I'd be happy to be proven wrong and improve my play. Any comments and suggestions would be greatly appreciated here.

BRAWO
Why do you suggest calling with KK pre ?