$55 NLHE MTT Bounty: AJ UTG facing a small 3-bet

S

skeptical

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
MTT: around 1200 players, prety early in the tournament ( 8 min levels). Blinds - 700/350 - Ante 85

UTG (74 500) - Hero
UTG + 1 ( 49 000)
UTG + 2 (49 000)
MP (80 900 )
CO (103 000) - Villain
BTN ( 49 900 )
SB ( 54 000)
BB (54 500)

Dealt to Hero Ah Js

Hero raises to 1750, MP calls, Vilain raises to 2800, BTN SB and BB folds, Hero re-raises to 9100, MP folds and Vilain calls

FLOP (21 680) 4d Ks Ac

Hero bets 6 500, Villain calls

Turn (34 680) 4d Ks Ac 3d

Hero bets 10 400, Villain calls

RIVER (55 480) 4d Ks Ac 3d 2c

Hero ( 36 500 left) ????

Hi,

We have no info about the Villain at this point.
Vilains min 3-bet on the flop really messed up my head.

What are your thoughts on this hand? Especially preflop and river play?

Thanks!

Last edited:
F

feisas7991

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Flat pre flop and prob be looking to take a lot of turns if we you think he is could be light.
As played for sure start with checking on the flop, you can still get it in by the river if you want to put foot on a gas pedal.
If you think he is light just continue your story and get the full stack in on the river, are you check folding there or want to start bluff catching on the rainbow board?
Prob other people could explain this better than me.
GOOD LUCK!

Q

QA77

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Preflop I would rather call being oop. Flop bet is fine. Turn bet is a little small. I’d elect to check the turn to induce some bluffs from QJ, J10 hands. As played, I guess just shove the river and hope you’re up against A10 or Kx. Check folding seems out of the question. You don’t want to get bluffed out by a hand that might call your shove.

Q

QA77

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

Last edited:
V

Veritas

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
AJo is a Hand I wouldn't mind if we fold UTG.
but I would not go for such a huge 4bet. just flat and see a flop.
after the call this is a nice flop to check call or even check raise.

as played:
we can't fold to his 3bet, but going for a huge 4bet seems to be a bit aggressive. with his call you should be suspicious About his range.
with the A and K on the flop, there are not too many AK AQ AA KK Combos left that beat us. so he might get sticky with his QQ JJ ?
turn and river are kinda blanks, so if you think you are ahead on the flop, Keep on betting.
He won't get there with 5x A5 A4 A3 A2 after your 4bet.

K

kkonicke

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I also am not sure about the 4bet. As played, you gave him a pretty good price to continue with all his Kx and Ax on the flop and turn. I think you just jam river. Sometimes he'll have AQ or KK, but jamming gives him an opportunity to misplay his QQ/JJ type hands...or else it's possibly he also has AJ or AT/KQ and will pay you off. This spot is so awkward, because he'll probably check all Ax that's worse than yours...he might jam his Kx, especially if it's diamonds...and he'll also jam with AQ or KK. If you'd call all-in, you're probably better off sticking it in yourself in this case and hoping for the best.