Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
£50 NLHE MTT: KK on paired flop facing two callers, all less than 20BB

Mid stage live MTT, 60 people remaining, 42 to cash, 10-handed

MP1 (Hero): 15BB
BTN: ~18BB, No particular read but he just doubled up after jamming 66 from SB facing open raise from BTN who called 44 with his jam.
SB: ~15BB No info

Hero raised with KK from MP2 to 2.5BB. BTN and SB called.

Flop JJ7 rainbow, Pot ~10BB

SB checked, Hero bet 33% pot, BTN called and SB folded.

Turn 4, still rainbow, Pot ~16.7BB, Hero bet 25% pot (hoping get called by A7s,78s,67s) but BTN re-raised to all in.

Given I had ~5BB left, I reluctantly called villain all in knowing he has 77,JQ,JK,JT,J9 in his range and not much bluff combo (maybe 89?)

If I instead check the turn, maybe easier to find a fold especially when villain had a bit of drama calling my flop bet.

Note the table is not particularly loose and no super short stack behind me so unlikely I would get a call if I shove 15BB preflop but it is a lower variance move that I would do when getting close to bubble.

How would you play this hand instead?

villain showed JQo

Last edited:
ZenGreen

ZenGreen

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Getting it in on the turn. Stacks arent big enough to do much else. Size flop bet for nice 1/2 pot jam or whatever, make it purdy

E

Edson

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You slowplay this hand... And as we all know: Slowplay = you pay.
On this stack you should push allin preflop :)

J

jrx1908

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
How were you playing at the table?
Allin PF x players with smaller stack is a good alternative.

DuffMcGruff

DuffMcGruff

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
15 BB is a definite shove pre. Stop being scared you won’t make enough by shoving pre. Even if you do take it down, you will gain like 20% of your stack. Plus, if you don’t shove with the best hands, you worst short shoves will not get through.

Nathan Smith

Nathan Smith

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Tricky spot - if you open shove you make a lot of worse hands fold - so you do lose value unless someone wakes up with a mid pair behind you.I prefer your play - but once villain calls your flop bet you are trying to check to get to a showdown - but you will be facing an all in by the river anyway so can you fold?

ICK

ICK

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I feel like a 80% pot bet on flop gets only a jack to call or reraise, which is what you want so you don't lose a load of chips obviously i don't know how that person was playing around the time.