Hero (CO): 4,799 (160 bb)
BTN: 5,645 (188.2 bb)
SB: 4,895 (163.2 bb)
BB: 4,931 (164.4 bb)
UTG: 4,880 (162.7 bb)
UTG+1: 5,000 (166.7 bb)

SB posts 15, BB posts 30

Pre Flop: (pot: 45) Hero has :qd4: :kh4:
fold, UTG+1 calls 30, MP calls 30, fold, Hero raises to 120, 3 folds, UTG+1 calls 90, fold

Flop: (315, 2 players) :kc4: :as4: :qc4:
UTG+1 checks, Hero bets 158, UTG+1 calls 158

Turn: (631, 2 players) :9d4:
UTG+1 bets 631, Hero calls 631

River: (1,893, 2 players) :9c4:
UTG+1 bets 4,091 and is all-in, Hero folds

Results: 1,893 pot (0 rake)
Final Board: :kc4: :as4: :qc4: :9d4: :9c4:

Hero mucks :qd4: :kh4:: (Two Pair, Kings and Queens)
(Pre 0%)

UTG+1 wins 1,893

Benclarky1

Benclarky1

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Also, i have no information on this player and its the first level of blinds. It is a home game tourney though and a few other know villian in person and have played many hands with villian, the only information i got off them is that he is very LAG

C

candide78

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi

It seems like quite a tough spot. With his river bet size, you need about 40% equity to call I think and you're probably getting between 42-46 depending on how wide his range is.

In terms of range, you should be calling with somewhere around 30% of your range, how many combos this depends on you, for me it would be around 80-90 combos. To get that you're going to have to fold some two pair combos. But as you have two pair different than the pair on the board you might be right to call your particular hand.

It looks like a bluff, calling the flop and betting out on the turn looks like a classic float play, which he dbl barrels when you call.
That said, this early in I'm probably folding, tournaments have enough variance as it is without marginal spots like this in the first level of blinds lol!

Regards,
John.

Benclarky1

Benclarky1

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi

It seems like quite a tough spot. With his river bet size, you need about 40% equity to call I think and you're probably getting between 42-46 depending on how wide his range is.

In terms of range, you should be calling with somewhere around 30% of your range, how many combos this depends on you, for me it would be around 80-90 combos. To get that you're going to have to fold some two pair combos. But as you have two pair different than the pair on the board you might be right to call your particular hand.

It looks like a bluff, calling the flop and betting out on the turn looks like a classic float play, which he dbl barrels when you call.
That said, this early in I'm probably folding, tournaments have enough variance as it is without marginal spots like this in the first level of blinds lol!

Regards,
John.

Hi john, thanks for the reply and your knowledge. I too had bluff on the mind but due to how early in the tourny this spot cropped up i decided to just let this one go.

Pufik

Pufik

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think you make good decision, imagine which hands he want first just limp call a then call your 3bet. I think hands like K9s Axs, maybe bluffs like KJ, QT,JT. it is really hard, specially at this time, during coronavirus you can find lot of fun players at this limits, he can have 57o too, but you don`t want risk

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Preflop
With two limpers in the pot you can go a bit bigger than 4BB, especially when you are this deep.

Flop
Standard C-bet.

Turn
His pot sized donk bet is a bit weird, and I think, the best play is to just call. You are fairly deep, so if you try to get stacks inside here, you might mostly get action from those few hands like A9 or JT, that beat you. Some reads would be nice here though, and the fishier he is, the more I want to raise this up and play for stacks.

River
As played a pretty trivial fold. Not only do you now lose to 9x, you also lose to any random Ax, and you are facing a big overbet jam. If I had to guess, I would say, that he probably had A9, K9 or Q9. It kind of makes sense, that a "fun" player would limp-call these hands preflop, check-call flop with one pair, make a pot sized donk bet on the turn with two pair and overbet jam the river with a boat.

Benclarky1

Benclarky1

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Preflop
With two limpers in the pot you can go a bit bigger than 4BB, especially when you are this deep.

Flop
Standard C-bet.

Turn
His pot sized donk bet is a bit weird, and I think, the best play is to just call. You are fairly deep, so if you try to get stacks inside here, you might mostly get action from those few hands like A9 or JT, that beat you. Some reads would be nice here though, and the fishier he is, the more I want to raise this up and play for stacks.

River
As played a pretty trivial fold. Not only do you now lose to 9x, you also lose to any random Ax, and you are facing a big overbet jam. If I had to guess, I would say, that he probably had A9, K9 or Q9. It kind of makes sense, that a "fun" player would limp-call these hands preflop, check-call flop with one pair, make a pot sized donk bet on the turn with two pair and overbet jam the river with a boat.

Thanks for taking the time to look into this hand, it does make alot of sense with him to have the range you mentioned (K9, Q9, any random A including A9) it was the turn lead that didnt make much sense, he did say straight after the hand that he had the nuts. I dont believe the way the hand played that this was true either.

300HPGOD

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I am fine with everything you did on this hand but would like to add one thing that no one has mentioned yet (at least not that I saw) and that is a raise on the turn. In these spots where I think I could be getting bluffed and I know I might face some huge river bet if I just call I will make a min raise to slightly over a min raise on the turn. It does not cost as much as you think as it would only be 600 some odd chips and many times it will buy you a river check where you then can check behind if it is warranted. It also makes villain really define his hand when you min raise here. If he shoots back over you then I think many times you can fold right there depending on villains raise size. If they just call your raise and then lead out huge on the river then you know their prospects of bluffing have greatly decreased. Many times though they will only call your raise on the turn and then check to you on the river saving you a lot of chips compared to making a call of a bet on the river or folding to a jam and never getting to showdown.

L

levidoff

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think you played correctly. I’m even sure that he had A. And he decided to play his hand like that. It’s not at all clear that he was playing. And your fold at the beginning of the tournament is very correct.

T

Transitley

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Wow, the quality of this hand analysis is superb, I've learnt about 3 big takeaways just following this thread: love the strategy of turn reraise just above min to try and get clarity/shutdown the betting almost - very logical.

I reckon I would have called because I don't know enough, and think you were right to fold looking at all the compelling feedback so well done you.

Do you really thing he had 'the nuts' - I know its incidental really but its funny that people say they had 'the nuts' which in this case would have been 99. Surely he doesn't bet this after the flop? Its irrelevant but just a point, maybe J10 and had nuts on flop.

Sorry I'm not adding much value but new to the forum and guess keen to feedback to people how great the quality of analysis is.

cheers
T

mt2lhd

mt2lhd

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
due to loose stats of opponent and limping pre-flop we can consider he had a hand like J9s , 9To , K9o and some hands along those lines, i liked your play because it was early stages of tournament and you had little info from the opponent so you did well

A

antoniogtp

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
early stage decision with two pair on paired and 3 club board

Being that deep in stacks it is definitely a good fold you only have kq and there are many hands that have you beat like k9 or any flush... Probably an ace high flush since the ace of clubs is not on board he could have have Ax of clubs... he could have bet his ace with the flush draw on the turn as with the flush draw his hand gained a lot of equity... It would be a really crazy call at such an early stage of the tournament and being over 100 big blinds deep.

Benclarky1

Benclarky1

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I am fine with everything you did on this hand but would like to add one thing that no one has mentioned yet (at least not that I saw) and that is a raise on the turn. In these spots where I think I could be getting bluffed and I know I might face some huge river bet if I just call I will make a min raise to slightly over a min raise on the turn. It does not cost as much as you think as it would only be 600 some odd chips and many times it will buy you a river check where you then can check behind if it is warranted. It also makes villain really define his hand when you min raise here. If he shoots back over you then I think many times you can fold right there depending on villains raise size. If they just call your raise and then lead out huge on the river then you know their prospects of bluffing have greatly decreased. Many times though they will only call your raise on the turn and then check to you on the river saving you a lot of chips compared to making a call of a bet on the river or folding to a jam and never getting to showdown.

I really like the concept of raising the turn (smallish) to get a cheap showdown, so thanks for that

Benclarky1

Benclarky1

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Wow, the quality of this hand analysis is superb, I've learnt about 3 big takeaways just following this thread: love the strategy of turn reraise just above min to try and get clarity/shutdown the betting almost - very logical.

I reckon I would have called because I don't know enough, and think you were right to fold looking at all the compelling feedback so well done you.

Do you really thing he had 'the nuts' - I know its incidental really but its funny that people say they had 'the nuts' which in this case would have been 99. Surely he doesn't bet this after the flop? Its irrelevant but just a point, maybe J10 and had nuts on flop.

Sorry I'm not adding much value but new to the forum and guess keen to feedback to people how great the quality of analysis is.

cheers
T

Thanks for stopping by and having a look at the post, I too have learnt a lot just from posting hands on this forum and also reading other peoples posted hands too. back to the hand though, JT of clubs would of been the nuts here, although i wouldn't raise JT of clubs this early position nor would i limp call, but it is possible for him to have this hand in his range at this lower level poker. Still would be a bit weird of him to just call flop then lead out pot on the turn with a hand like this. i think his range contains more like K9, Q9, J9, 9T, A2o+, A2s+,and some random 9x hands (96, 97 and so on). These would make more sense.

T

Transitley

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks for stopping by and having a look at the post, I too have learnt a lot just from posting hands on this forum and also reading other peoples posted hands too. back to the hand though, JT of clubs would of been the nuts here, although i wouldn't raise JT of clubs this early position nor would i limp call, but it is possible for him to have this hand in his range at this lower level poker. Still would be a bit weird of him to just call flop then lead out pot on the turn with a hand like this. i think his range contains more like K9, Q9, J9, 9T, A2o+, A2s+,and some random 9x hands (96, 97 and so on). These would make more sense.

Ooops, yes, I'm straight flush blind!!! That could be a leak! :)