$5 NLHE MTT Deep Stacked: $5,5$ NLHE MTT Deep Stacked: Do you call turn with TPTK on deep stack?

jaworek1405

jaworek1405

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
$5,5$ NLHE MTT Deep Stacked: Do you call turn with TPTK on deep stack?

https://www.boomplayer.com/32069398_66FE619B51
Hi guys, what are you doing here on the turn? Call or fold? I thought that I played good isolation on one limper pre flop, but 4 players called my isolation and I was a little nervous after the flop. I decided to play almost pot size bet to take this pot after the flop. On the turn I give my opponent effort and he make of my mistake. I fold on the turn, because it was second level of tournament and I didn't risk this deep stack at the beginning of tournament without reads on this player. I saw at the first level of blinds that he called one hand from the small blind with 73o and caught two pairs on the river. My experience learnt me that one pair in multi pot situation it can be a little too weak. Now I would play smaller bets on the flop and turn. I have also a question what isolation do you play pre flop on this deep stack and this phase of tournament?

Last edited:
P

popstani

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
With out more info on the player, probably good fold. It’s obvious that you have strong holding( Ace), and then he goes all in. It hurts, but you have to fold. It’s deep stack tournament, and you have lots of time to play. There will be more better spots to play, with out spots like this where you can easily end you tournament life. By my opinion it’s good fold

D

dorynel7

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You made a mistake i push all-in on the flop because you have top pair with top kiker, on the turn when 10 comes probably good fold.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think, your flop bet was to big. When you almost pot it into 4 other players, you create a situation, where you put your stack at risk, and where a decent amount of the hands, that give you action, have you beat.

As played I think, you have to call his jam. When you think about it, he is not really representing much, and your hand is pretty face up. Did he call nearly a pot sized bet on the flop with just second pair and two players left to act after him? That seem pretty unlikely, unless he is a fish. So his nutted hands should only be 44 (3 combos) TT (1 combo) and maybe AT (4 combos), and AT is a very loose call preflop.

Also if he had a nutted hand, why play it so fast? This was a pretty dry board, so why not bet something more reasonable and suck you into calling? To me this line look like a bluff, because it makes no sense for value. Of course there is always a risk, he is just bad, and actually he will show up with a JT or whatever.

But without reads and information this is a time, where I would at least consider to make the hero call as played. I would however not have created this situation in the first place. I would either have bet small on the flop or even checked the flop, and if I bet small on the flop, I would continue betting the turn. I dont think, the board pairing should matter all that much, because he should be calling you with much more top pair than second pair.

Jon Poker

Jon Poker

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
My take on this shows a few mistakes...

Starting with our preflop sizing, we raised 7x!! Even with the limper in front that's waaaaay too big. We can go anywhere from 265 - 300 and achieve the same results without risking so much. Such a big bet screams strength here.

Moving onto the flop...I dont understand the 95% pot bet...we bet 2k into 2.1k which is way too big as well. This makes bet sizing on the turn super awkward and leaves us such a small bet on the river that it's hardly worth jamming at that point. The board texture is fairly dry aside from some gutter Broadway draws and single pair hands with a draw as well. If we want to bet for value and to charge draws the maximum here we can elect to bet about 1200 - 1400 (2/3 pot) here and achieve the same results. Also sets us up for a nice turn bet and then we can jam rivers properly.

As played with the giant flop bet we SHOULD only be getting called by strong Ax hands and sets. A pot sized bet should make 2nd pair fold a good portion of the time and prices out all of the draws. That being said - when we check turn and our opponent jams I dont know how or why we dont snap call...we bloated this pot to 6.2k and we have just a little over 7k behind- we HAVE TO be willing to call this off when they jam...we will be getting super close to 2:1 on our money and we only need to be good here 33% of the time to break even. AK is the top of our range, we lose to sets, we block AA, tens are now extremely unlikely to have flopped a set - and we lose to AT...we are ahead and never chopping with any other worse Ax hand such as AQ or AJ - this is the top of our range. We put ourselves here - to lose the nerve on what is relatively a GOOD turn card for us and to just fold is a super bad play and you are giving your chips away to hands you crush. The way you bet huge on the flop and checked turn makes it look like you have KK - when he jams and we have just a little bit over a pot sized jam, we need to SNAP this one off. If we lose - fine, we shouldnt be playing these tournaments if we are not well rolled for them and secondly it's just the correct play long term. As I said AK is the top of our range and to be folding such a strong hand in this spot is making us super exploitable and we are donating chips. Folding AK here is essentially folding everything in our entire range except for AA or Tx...that's just too much.

Conclusion- smaller preflop open 265-300.

60%-67% pot sized bet on the flop - double barrel the turn to setup river jams targeting other Ax holdings which we crush.

As played - I would jam the turn myself before our opponent does - but since we didnt - snap call the turn jam. We are simply way too strong to fold and the check under reps the strength of our hand