$5.50 NLHE STT: did I play post-flop correctly with AK?

mbrenneman0

mbrenneman0

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
seems like a pretty standard spot. someone told me that sometimes the spots we think are pretty standard are spots we could be playing totally wrong. so i want to make sure im navigating postflop here correctly.

would you bet the river here?
does he call the flop with ace high or Kx hands often enough here to bet for value?

Turbo
iPoker - $5+$0.50|<> NL - Holdem - 9 players
Hand converted by PokerTracker 4

UTG: 29 BB (VPIP: 14.29, PFR: 14.29, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 7)
UTG+1: 28.9 BB (VPIP: 42.86, PFR: 14.29, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 7)
Hero (MP): 32.8 BB
MP+1: 28.8 BB (VPIP: 14.29, PFR: 0.00, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 7)
MP+2: 31.4 BB (VPIP: 71.43, PFR: 14.29, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 7)
CO: 37.5 BB (VPIP: 28.57, PFR: 14.29, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 7)
BTN: 24 BB (VPIP: 57.14, PFR: 0.00, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 7)
SB: 29.4 BB (VPIP: 0.00, PFR: 0.00, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 7)
BB: 28.2 BB (VPIP: 28.57, PFR: 0.00, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 7)

SB posts SB 0.5 BB, BB posts BB 1 BB

Pre Flop: (pot: 1.5 BB) Hero has K:diamond: A:club:

fold, fold, Hero raises to 2.5 BB, fold, fold, fold, fold, fold, BB calls 1.5 BB

Flop: (5.5 BB, 2 players) 6:club: 9:heart: 6:diamond:
BB checks, Hero bets 2 BB, BB calls 2 BB

Turn: (9.5 BB, 2 players) A:diamond:
BB checks, Hero bets 4 BB, BB calls 4 BB

River: (17.5 BB, 2 players) 2:diamond:
BB checks, Hero checks

W

WiZZiM

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Betting for value here almost always. He never has a flush, pretty rare to have 6x, so it leaves 9x and stubborn Ax type hands, or hands like 88 77 etc.

its tough when he re-raises you, in which you would likely have to make a tough laydown, however you gain value for all the times you 'value own' yourself. bet like 7ish bb here.

Shumkoolie

Shumkoolie

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Betting for value here almost always. He never has a flush, pretty rare to have 6x, so it leaves 9x and stubborn Ax type hands, or hands like 88 77 etc.

its tough when he re-raises you, in which you would likely have to make a tough laydown, however you gain value for all the times you 'value own' yourself. bet like 7ish bb here.

The only hands really that you're losing to are A6/K6. I agree with WiZZim in that the three flush changes nothing about the strength of your hand, hardly ever.

If you're betting, I like the bet-sizing on the river. Anywhere between 7-9 bb's should be fine. There's a lot of 78's in their range along with weaker Aces, especially given the check-call on the turn. There's almost no change of a chop here because they're three-betting AK pre. I'd bet if your opponent is passive and likely to be married to weaker Aces, but if you have history and know that they're likely to slowplay a 6, then I'd be inclined to check behind.

I may even check anyway to gain information on your opponent that you can use in subsequent spots.

mbrenneman0

mbrenneman0

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
i mean wouldnt he have folded most of his Ax hands on the flop?

my logic for checking back is thhat i feel like he is only calling a river bet with A9 or some kinda 6. maybe he shows up with a pocket pair sometimes. but ive got showdown value, and i dont want to give him a reason to check raise me on the river. what worse hands call us on a river bet?

N

ninoverm

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't think your opponent would always fold Ax hands on the flop. You're c-betting on a 6-9-6 flop, which would not likely have hit you considering you raised pre. Even baby aces are very stubborn against c-bets in these situations.

I think a value bet on the river makes sense, he could be putting you on a bluff after you c-bet. Worse aces could call, 9s could call, pocket pairs could call.

I like your check and your reasoning, though. It's a close one.

mbrenneman0

mbrenneman0

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
maybe thin value. what do you guys think about a 1/4 pot size bet on the river? 4.5bb into a 17.5bb pot?

W

WiZZiM

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You never know what type of crap hands people are willing to call with unless you "thin" value bet. This isn't really even thin tbh all his Ax will call all his 9x and most pairs will call. Unless you have a reason to not value bet here, then you are just missing value.

Like on this flop, he isn't really even going to be calling with a flush draw, he can't, so we take that out of the equation. he might call flop with Ax (not as likely as we have an A), he can also call with plenty of straight draws and all 9x hands will call, also stubborn things like KQ may call just to see a turn card.

By the turn, we can assume the KQ hands will fold, but it still leaves the rest of his range.

By the river, unless he's slow played a 6 we have literally nothing to really fear, so checking just lets all of his range that will call a bet get away cheaply, and we make the same if we check with the rest of his range that will just fold if we bet.

We can't make decisions just avoid making tougher decisions in later streets, if we get check/raised all in on the river so be it, but that is going to be the vast minority of the time. The overwhelming majority of the time we either get folds which is fine, or we get called by a worse hand, which is also fine.

W

WiZZiM

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
fwiw i think checking back is also fine, you won't lose money by checking back, but at low level SNG and especially on not known sites and low level SNG you are much better off widening your value range up significantly to take advantage of the general player pools tendency of calling too many hands.

T

trent32la

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Bet/fold 6-7bb on the river, you lose so much value by checking here.

Really tempting to jam this river but we lose value at these levels by doing so, I'd certainly jam this river with air.

N

NKGB13

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I like the idea of checking behind on the river, simply because the guy is calling every bet you made and that could mean he wants you to keep that way. If he wanted to bluf you out somehow he would hit hard at some time and he didn't.

You have a medium to good hand and although you have minimal chance to loose this one, there are also some draws that ppl usually play at 5.50 buy ins. That way you did enlarge the pot enough for your hand strenght and didn't risk paying for some nuts 9s, or flush.

The only problem, is think all about it in the 45 seconds betting time hehe..

J

Joseph Havelka

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I like your play. From my point of view a bet on the river does no good. Imo your only getting called by better hands.

D

demacedo6

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I bet for value. if it has 9x or Ax probably going to call, maybe even worse hands.

H

Hasanov

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I think 2.5BB weren't enough for a pre-flop bet. It should have been better if it was in between 3BB<BET<4BB, more like close to 4BB to mentally scare the villain.

Everything else was alright, and I think you have won that hand.

ammytyagi

ammytyagi

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
IN
Chips
I would have bet 1/4 pot on river. By checking we lose value here