$5.50 NLHE MTT Rebuy: deep stage play

seeyouthru

seeyouthru

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
SO WE ARE ITM IN THIS TOURNEY WITH AROUND 30 LEFT, 8 HANDED TABLE!
UTG+1(24bb) opens 3x
HERO on hijack(23bb) with AKo CALLS!
BTN (15bb) flats behind
BB(16BB) CALLS
FLOP is TA7 two spades (pot:7890)
check,check, hero shoves 12627!
btn calls and shows ATo!
SHOULD I HAVE 3 BET PRE OR SIMPLY SHOVE?
AND WHAT COULD HAVE I DONE DIFFERENTLY ON FLOP?

puzzlefish

puzzlefish

student of the donk arts
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
You do not want to play multi-way pots with AK. Either shove it pre or play conservatively after the flop. Chances are someone hit something along with you and AK hitting a top pair is not an auto-shove on the flop.

T

tmfnsanders

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Insta 3bet shove preflop all day

That is our only play with 23bb facing a 3x open

sedlacekj

sedlacekj

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I will agree with the previous posters to some extent. If you are going to shove this hand you should only do so preflop, or if postflop gives you AK or AA. Top pair doesn't beat 2pair or set. I have seen the same play when a 9 is in the flop only to have villain with 99. You must proceed cautiously after the flop, but I think the slow play is best here. Depending on what level of players you are playing against, I have seen a great number of free-roll, and low stakes players call an all-in with ATo. They shouldn't but they do. That means all-in preflop with AK is not necessarily the best move. But it is better than all-in postflop, because you might fold some hands this way. Better players will fold an AT, but not beginners. If you see broadways in the flop, anyone still in the pot will push whatever matches up there. You could check here to see the turn. If raised or jammed, then fold.

Since you are shortstacked, probably all-in preflop is best, but you have to know you will lose to pairs often. In this case there was no way to win the hand. You will win all-in shoves enough of the time to make it profitable, but there is no shame in slow play postflop to get information, and then fold.

T

tmfnsanders

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I will agree with the previous posters to some extent. If you are going to shove this hand you should only do so preflop, or if postflop gives you AK or AA. Top pair doesn't beat 2pair or set. I have seen the same play when a 9 is in the flop only to have villain with 99. You must proceed cautiously after the flop, but I think the slow play is best here. Depending on what level of players you are playing against, I have seen a great number of free-roll, and low stakes players call an all-in with ATo. They shouldn't but they do. That means all-in preflop with AK is not necessarily the best move. But it is better than all-in postflop, because you might fold some hands this way. Better players will fold an AT, but not beginners. If you see broadways in the flop, anyone still in the pot will push whatever matches up there. You could check here to see the turn. If raised or jammed, then fold.

Since you are shortstacked, probably all-in preflop is best, but you have to know you will lose to pairs often. In this case there was no way to win the hand. You will win all-in shoves enough of the time to make it profitable, but there is no shame in slow play postflop to get information, and then fold.

you realize when we shove preflop we don't want AT to fold right? If they call with AT that means our push is just printing chips because we win this 7/10 times. This might be one of the 3 times villian hits on us, but we can't be results oriented when making strategic decisions.

Mmurilove

Mmurilove

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Do we have any information from the villains?
Was UTG1 opening a lot of hands? Any info on how he reacts to 3-bets?
Do the players to your left give too much call? Did SB have the same stack as the others?
What was your picture on the table? Were you giving too much 3-bet?

But in general analysis, considering that UTG1 is not NIT, I believe you should have given 3-bet shove, thus preventing the players on your left, as well as putting a lot of pressure on the UTG1 villain, because if he paid he would be putting your tournament at risk, leaving only 1bb, then you would only pay with the top of the range.

seeyouthru

seeyouthru

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Do we have any information from the villains?
Was UTG1 opening a lot of hands? Any info on how he reacts to 3-bets?
Do the players to your left give too much call? Did SB have the same stack as the others?
What was your picture on the table? Were you giving too much 3-bet?

But in general analysis, considering that UTG1 is not NIT, I believe you should have given 3-bet shove, thus preventing the players on your left, as well as putting a lot of pressure on the UTG1 villain, because if he paid he would be putting your tournament at risk, leaving only 1bb, then you would only pay with the top of the range.
You cant have that much read.
Its not a cash game!
Its a 270 entrants tourney.
And i just got moved to that table!

SuzdalDEcor

SuzdalDEcor

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
preflop easy push. Flop is ok

lackerboy

lackerboy

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Taking into account the stacks and sizing of the first player's bets, you have to push here. By playing through the count you give the blinds a good chance of counting. And in general, the stack is small to play postflop, it is easier to push preflop and realize the max value value of the hand ..

Z

zuker

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
push preflop
call only you have squizzers behind

S

skeptix

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This is a really easy jam preflop. The only time I'd call here is if someone in the blinds was super aggro and I'd be trapping them in hopes they squeeze all in with a hand I dominate.