$5.50 NLHE MTT: Was the call on river correct?

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
There are basically two ways to look at bluff catching on the river. There is the game theory approach, where you determine your MDF and call exactly so much, that your opponent neither win nor lose money, if he is bluffing. Without knowing your exact range my guess is, that KK is probably a call, if you want to be balanced. And if KK is only a partial call, then it is better to call with those KK, that does not have a heart. This is because, you would like him to have a hand like KhTh or Kh9h, so not blocking those hands is good.

The exploitative approach rely on assumed player pool tendencies, and the analysis on the river is something like this: The guy called a pretty large raise from SB, which mean, he is probably a fish. He called you on the flop, which mean, he probably connected. He made a sizable river bet, which mean, he probably has you beat. Conclusion: Fold.

Z

zhilipp

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
With the ace and the potential straight probably a fold.

jaworek1405

jaworek1405

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hello, my advice for you to this hand, on these very deep stacks isolate pre flop more, even 600 is not bad. After the flop I play bet about 50%-67% of the pot, because of the flush draw on the flop. You bet less than 50% of the pot and opponent decided call with second pair. As played - I agree with fundiver that better fold on the river, because usually bet for over 50% of the pot means that opponent have something strong. I usually also play like him with two pair or better and I bet about 67% of the pot.

moulan7

moulan7

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
My mind says fold the river (I don't know about my body lol) because every big card hit the streets and he called a big preflop raise. Given that, I believe his range includes any two face cards or pocket pairs, which leads me mostly to think that he has 2 pair (not A8 of course xD) or better till the river.

I like both your bet sizes.

TheDude6622

TheDude6622

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
There are so many draws on the river that beat us, I would have to say fold. Even though the bet gives us such good odds to call, it is a tell that is telling us the villain has a really good hand here.

Jon Poker

Jon Poker

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I personally think the river is a fine call. Yes there are tons of combos that beat us - the only completion of a straight on the river that wasn't there on the flop is KT - so I dont think our opponent ever has a straight here. I think when we check back the A on the turn our opponent can also assume we may not have an ace - therefore could value bet a hand like KQ or KJ possibly - they could be looking to turn a hand like 99, TT or maybe even JT into a bluff.

Point is we need to call this down on some frequency because our opponents should have enough worse hands (such as Qx, Jx and underpairs) that will value bet or bluff this river and we need to protect our stronger holding. If we are over folding in these spots then we are being exploited and that's never good. In the same respect if we are calling these down everytime we are also being exploited by Ax taking us to value town so as I eluded to I think this is sort of a player dependent mixed frequency spot. Controversially if I were the villan and had the A8 here on the river I am not sure I go for the value bet simply because there are some obvious combinations of Ax I lose to and I also want to give weaker hands room to bluff when I check turn and river so for those reasons in villans shoes I check this river to pot control and try to induce bets.

SuzdalDEcor

SuzdalDEcor

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I dont know... I think fold will be better than call. What the hands of his range will be betting here? His range on the river i think will be next: AX all which calls 3bet, JTs and QTs, JQs. I think JT and QT will not be bet always.

300HPGOD

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I dont think this is a terrible call but I would lean towards folding. It depends on the player and what you know about them. I dont think he is betting 1 pair hands here unless it is an ace and we of course would be beat. That means his betting range is Ax, all the straight draw combos that got there, two pair combos, sets, and the missed flush draws. If you think the player would bet his missed flush draws here in this manner than you could call but that would have to be happening roughly 30% of the time to make the call correct.

The hands you beat here are predominant checking to you except the busted flush draw. Easy to say when we get to see the result but I think this is a fold.

VovanBaron

VovanBaron

RiddlesInTheShadow
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The right decision is to think simple cause there are a huge bunch of hands that beat you and only few combos to bluff ...It is important to put your opp not to be so monkey but thinking player...and I found KcJc and KhQh which can be played in a such way with a bluff bet river in this spot what you beat...so dont bind to your good hand KK cause the line played shows you are way behind.

PosFlopALLIN

PosFlopALLIN

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi mates, I'm not sure if I did well to call on the river, since the river was very bad, was completed many projects of the villain.
What do you think.

https://www.boomplayer.com/32265238_3DB99A3063

gl ;)

I would have bet low turn more or less 1/3 of the pot if I took the back if I called I don't think he would be leading with A on the river so check behind river would have saved about 400 chips.I believe his mistake was on the turn ... because he ran out of information without betting ... so he managed to extract more river