$5.5 NLHE MTT Deep Stacked: Would you play like the villain did?

C

candide78

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
https://www.cardschat.com/replayer/7aqm8dE

Hi guys!

Just courious. How many of you would have played like villain in this hand?

I don't think I would have gone all in, even with 8 outs....

Not a chance. It's a clear fold. Even with a made hand, villain could get all the chips by calling and betting the river given the SPR. Unless he thinks you're on a flush draw I guess? Still, it's a clear fold on the turn for villain.
Regards
John.

jaworek1405

jaworek1405

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hello, I have another strategy than opponent. I always fold Jto pre flop from this position like opponent. I think that hero played well this hand. Opponent made very risky move, because it was semibluff for 8 outs and he was a chipleader. I think that opponent played this hand very aggressively. On that turn card I prefer probably playing only call in opponent's place and I want to see the river card. On the river are some cards good to bluff against hero like any club or any diamond. But hero should remember that hero has one club and one diamond on a hand and blocks some outs. GL :)

A

atcj13

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Seems like a fish play. Based on the strength you are showing he really doesn't have any fold equity. Unlucky river but in the long run you are making way more against these types of plays than you are losing.

300HPGOD

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
No is the answer to your question if I'd play this way but what this is more than anything is a poorly timed bluff. I think villain here thinks you have nothing (very weird line for the player in your position to take if they have nothing) so they think they can shove and get you off the hand. They are not thinking clearly as you have a lot of your stack already in which makes you way less likely to fold plus you increased the size relative to the pot of your bet on the turn compared to the flop which is usually a sign of strength. Unfortunately this is one of those times like Edward G Robinson says in the Cincinnati Kid... "Its all about making the wrong move at the right time" for your opponent and he got there on the river.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I always prefer to focus on my own decisions rather than those of the opponent, since these are, what determine my success in the long run.

Preflop
Standard open of course and also standard sizing given, that several players behind you are sitting with 30BB or less.

Flop
You flopped TPTK, but unfortunately you are playing against the table chip leader, and the SPR is around 8. So as a default this is not a spot, where I would be looking to stack off, unless the chip leader is a huge fish or maniac. For that reason I would lean towards a more tournament typical bet size of around half pot.

Turn
Same story as on the flop. You went for almost a pot sized bet, which means, you are setting it up to play for stacks on the river. And unless you had a clear read on him, that does seem a little bit optimistic. As played you have to call it off, since you made the decision to play for stacks with your own sizing, and there are a bunch of draws, he could be on.

Results
Turns out you actually took the perfect line against this particular opponent, but unfortunately he got there on the end. That's poker my friend. Either rebuy or look to play the next tournament.

Nr98

Nr98

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Can be short about this, no. JTo should be a fold vs an open in those positions.

Having said that though. There's some merit in jamming turn, we fold out flush draws while not blocking any of them. But 1. he shouldn't be in this spot preflop, and 2. a flop float vs 2/3 pot is a bit ambitious with this hand tbh.

For your play. Yeah maybe your sizing is a bit on the bigger size. But if you know that you're up vs players like this who even float/stack off JTo here, by all means maximize your value and bet big. Just unlucky.

jordanbillie

jordanbillie

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I always prefer to focus on my own decisions rather than those of the opponent, since these are, what determine my success in the long run.

Preflop
Standard open of course and also standard sizing given, that several players behind you are sitting with 30BB or less.

Flop
You flopped TPTK, but unfortunately you are playing against the table chip leader, and the SPR is around 8. So as a default this is not a spot, where I would be looking to stack off, unless the chip leader is a huge fish or maniac. For that reason I would lean towards a more tournament typical bet size of around half pot.

Turn
Same story as on the flop. You went for almost a pot sized bet, which means, you are setting it up to play for stacks on the river. And unless you had a clear read on him, that does seem a little bit optimistic. As played you have to call it off, since you made the decision to play for stacks with your own sizing, and there are a bunch of draws, he could be on.

Results
Turns out you actually took the perfect line against this particular opponent, but unfortunately he got there on the end. That's poker my friend. Either rebuy or look to play the next tournament.

Pretty much as always, fundiver provides the perfect analysis. :)

eetenor

eetenor

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
https://www.cardschat.com/replayer/7aqm8dE

Hi guys!

Just courious. How many of you would have played like villain in this hand?
I don't think I would have gone all in, even with 8 outs....

Thank U 4 posting

I will try to explain my thinking if I were Villain street by street as I watch each street before the next street

Preflop

With this stack size I will be looking to crack AA etc so I call wide range of fit or fold hands here 22-JJ 56s 87 s etc

Flop

I would not misread this bet as weak so I still think you have premium hands not KK but AA AK KQs KJs

With more playing data I would know if you do this with QQ AQs etc

So I am calling to crack you or float you, we are deep enough that I should be able to bluff 2 streets if you check turn when it is ugly and then I jam a safe river card

If I think you can fold a pair of AA on a flush turn Blank river card

Turn

You pot bet I know you are protecting your hand now I may think I can take it away from you on the river for stacks

Watching you play this hand this way I think I know that you will stack off not fold. Your bet sizing with AK tells me you need to work on your understanding of hand strength and bet sizing

I as the Villain play hands that beat you on this turn exactly like this and I get to toss my weak hands on the turn

I do not shove turn as I stated earlier just from this review I knew you would stack off with AK I would however get your stack on the river as I call and make my straight and you do not fold to a possible missed flush draw bluff

As the villain obviously likes to gamble we have to protect our stack in tournaments. Not because they might have this hand only but also 99 77 55 K9 K7 K5 86 86c 64c

The JT had 18% equity but 6c4c has 31% Kh5h 79% equity 7s5s has 81% equity 55 77 99 86 100%, on the turn all these hands would shove!

We do not want that shove so we do not pot bet the turn only targeting AcXc

Hope this helps
:):)