$5.25 NLHE STT: DON position bluff okay?

mbrenneman0

mbrenneman0

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
$5.00 + 0.25 Double or Nothing

fifth hand in the game (first one that I played) folds to me, i raise from the btn with any 2 to steal, and possibly bluff an uncoordinated flop. flop is a good flop to bluff since villain is unlikely to have connected and the king is a decent scare card. his call gives me the impression that he has the king.
turn bricks and checks through and he checks to me on the river, wich gives me the impression he might have paired the 6, or.... my gut is telling me in the moment that he has air....
take a stab at the pot risking 140 to win 280. does he fold 33% of the time or better here to make this a +cEV play?

iPoker - $5+$0.25|<> NL (6 max) - Holdem - 6 players
Hand converted by PokerTracker 4

BB: 74 BB (VPIP: 25.00, PFR: 0.00, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, hands: 4)
UTG: 75.5 BB (VPIP: 75.00, PFR: 50.00, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 4)
MP: 75 BB (VPIP: 25.00, PFR: 25.00, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 4)
CO: 78 BB (VPIP: 25.00, PFR: 25.00, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 4)
Hero (BTN): 73.5 BB
SB: 74 BB (VPIP: 0.00, PFR: 0.00, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 4)

SB posts SB 0.5 BB, BB posts BB 1 BB

Pre Flop: (pot: 1.5 BB) Hero has 3:spade: 7:diamond:

fold, fold, fold, Hero raises to 3 BB, fold, BB calls 2 BB

Flop: (6.5 BB, 2 players) 2:club: K:diamond: 6:heart:
BB checks, Hero bets 3.75 BB, BB calls 3.75 BB

Turn: (14 BB, 2 players) T:club:
BB checks, Hero checks

River: (14 BB, 2 players) 2:spade:
BB checks, Hero bets 7 BB...

....BB calls 7 BB

BB shows 9:spade: A:diamond: (One Pair, Twos)
(Pre 67%, Flop 77%, Turn 86%)
Hero mucks 3:spade: 7:diamond: (One Pair, Twos)
(Pre 33%, Flop 23%, Turn 14%)
BB wins 28 BB

T

trent32la

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Preflop - Why are we open raising here 6-handed ante-less with 73o? Especially in a DoN, there is zero value to opening 73o here this deep pre-ante, just fold.

Flop - Standard cbet on a board that villain will fold to often, give up if you get called.

River - Really not a fan of this bluff and you'll get hero'd here a lot. Villain should be checking back most of his Kx on the river and you bet this turn with KT+ every time. Really not sure what you're trying to rep here and your line screams air. You picked perhaps the worst river card in the deck to bluff on, just give up after the flop cbet!

T

trent32la

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Fwiw if you're going to bluff this river, making a 1/2 pot bet isn't going to work. You need to make a polarizing bet here trying to blow him off his entire range by applying max pressure trying to rep KT+ or aces. A pot sized river bet will be much more effective since your opponent is capped and the larger you bet, the higher % of the time your opponent has to fold.

S

sryImPro

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Nothing much to add on trent32la's posts, tho its very likely that DON players get notes so if you are a DON grinder you should be paying attention to that.
Therefore, my guess will be that you got trapped there, continuation bet seems fine but there's no need to bet on river in situations like that.

W

WiZZiM

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
fold pre

make decisions simpler

add more tables

mbrenneman0

mbrenneman0

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Preflop - Why are we open raising here 6-handed ante-less with 73o? Especially in a DoN, there is zero value to opening 73o here this deep pre-ante, just fold.

its math. the percentage of times that neither of them have a hand to justify calling pre combined with the percentage of times they fold to a cbet if one of them does call makes it +cEV

the play here is not about the equity in my hand, but its about the likelihood that the other player doesnt have a hand good enough to call. how often is he really checking back the river here with top pair or better and how often is he folding to a river bet if he has 2nd or 3rd pair? I think most players are folding to a river bet almost 50% of the time here and only really calling with 1010+ Kx, and maybe sometimes 106... some random better hands in there sometimes but not likely enough to really consider based on preflop and flop. i think he's folding a lot of 77-99, Ax, QJ

i hope that makes sense?

also, this is bovada/ignition so there is no player history, its anonymous tables.

T

trent32la

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
its math. the percentage of times that neither of them have a hand to justify calling pre combined with the percentage of times they fold to a cbet if one of them does call makes it +cEV

the play here is not about the equity in my hand, but its about the likelihood that the other player doesnt have a hand good enough to call. how often is he really checking back the river here with top pair or better and how often is he folding to a river bet if he has 2nd or 3rd pair? I think most players are folding to a river bet almost 50% of the time here and only really calling with 1010+ Kx, and maybe sometimes 106... some random better hands in there sometimes but not likely enough to really consider based on preflop and flop. i think he's folding a lot of 77-99, Ax, QJ

i hope that makes sense?

also, this is bovada/ignition so there is no player history, its anonymous tables.
This is a SNG and a DoN as well. In a tournament like this, chips have a diminishing value as you gain them. Remember, we are playing to survive until 3 players left, not win.

You're risking 60 chips to win 90 chips here, therefore both of your opponents must fold >66% of the time for you to breakeven by raising 72o here. The stack depth is going to see you get flatted by a much wider range of hands in this spot and cbets will be much less effective due to a very high SPR.

Post-ante, in a SNG that doesn't have a flat payout structure, I like this raise a lot more since we can minraise and our opponents need to fold a lower % of the time for this to be a +EV raise. In a DoN pre-ante it's pretty much worthless to open atc here.

As for the river bluff, what are you trying to represent here? You checked the turn which really caps your range and it's hard to see you betting 77-QQ on this river since you aren't getting paid off by worse very often and your opponent's flop call range will be much weighted towards Kx. There's no real value to your opponent betting K2-K9 or 77-99 on this river since you likely have air here and those hands act as very good bluff catchers.

Like I said earlier, if you're going to make an attempt to bluff this river, a 1/2 pot bet isn't going to be very effective at all. Your line looks like air, the river blanked, and people love to herocall in these spots.

atlantafalcons0

atlantafalcons0

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
This is a SNG and a DoN as well. In a tournament like this, chips have a diminishing value as you gain them. Remember, we are playing to survive until 3 players left, not win.

You're risking 60 chips to win 90 chips here, therefore both of your opponents must fold >66% of the time for you to breakeven by raising 72o here. The stack depth is going to see you get flatted by a much wider range of hands in this spot and cbets will be much less effective due to a very high SPR.

Post-ante, in a SNG that doesn't have a flat payout structure, I like this raise a lot more since we can minraise and our opponents need to fold a lower % of the time for this to be a +EV raise. In a DoN pre-ante it's pretty much worthless to open atc here.

As for the river bluff, what are you trying to represent here? You checked the turn which really caps your range and it's hard to see you betting 77-QQ on this river since you aren't getting paid off by worse very often and your opponent's flop call range will be much weighted towards Kx. There's no real value to your opponent betting K2-K9 or 77-99 on this river since you likely have air here and those hands act as very good bluff catchers.

Like I said earlier, if you're going to make an attempt to bluff this river, a 1/2 pot bet isn't going to be very effective at all. Your line looks like air, the river blanked, and people love to herocall in these spots.

So you're saying bet pot on the river.

:D

mbrenneman0

mbrenneman0

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Idk, like what hands is he folding here to a psb that he doesn't fold to half pot on? Maybe we get him to fold a few more hands to gain 10% FE but for an extra 17% on the price. But what hands does he really have that check turn and check river? He might show up with a king 10% - 20% of the time, but most of the time he's got ace high or worse. Put yourself in villains shoes, if you have ace high, are you calling facing this action?

mbrenneman0

mbrenneman0

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
And your math on the percentage of times both players need to fold pre doesn't account for the high percentage of times players fold to a Cbet when out of position. Most players fold to a Cbet 70-80% of the time lets say that 50% of the time we get heads up, 25% of the time, both players fold (we win) and 25% of the time both call (we give up and lose) ... Well 70% of that 50% is 35% so we are winning this hand 60% of the time just from the other players folding... Throw in the 10% of times we flop the best hand and now we're up to 70% with FE plus pot equity

And with villains showdown, we pick up a lot of information on him for a relatively cheap price early on...

I don't know if it changes things much but I did realize i forgot to mention its a turbo

From Arnold Snyder's "The Poker Tournament Formula" (2007)
The button is the strongest position at the table. If you get into the pot, you will have position on the flop, turn, and river on every other player. This is a huge advantage, so your cards are of minor importance in your decision to enter a pot. In fact, the only time you will fold your hand preflop is when there is a raise greater than a standard raise of three to four times the size of the big blind. [...] All basic position strategy playsassume that you have sufficient chips to keep from jeopardizing your survival as a result of the play [...] The position basic strategy also indicates that you should raise from the button if you are the first player in the pot. This will often be viewed as an attempt to steal the blinds - which it is.
[...]
Here are the two secret strategies for making money after the flop: 1. He checks, you bet 2. He bets, you fold. Thats it.

of course the game has changed a bit since 2007, generally players are much tighter preflop now, which means his advice to call from the button against 1 standard raise might be dated, but his advice to raise if first in from the button is more relevant because people dont defend their blinds nearly as often.

Last edited:
T

trent32la

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Idk, like what hands is he folding here to a psb that he doesn't fold to half pot on?

Most of his entire range in this spot I would think. You might even get him to folding a weak king in this spot by making a large bet. Large bets nowadays are generally viewed as very strong and you are attacking a capped range by applying max pressure.
Maybe we get him to fold a few more hands to gain 10% FE but for an extra 17% on the price.

But what hands does he really have that check turn and check river?

K2-K9, 33-55, 77-TT and possibly some weird ace high type hands. It's pretty clear that you have nothing most of the time when you take this line and you rep zero. The river is the worst card in the deck you could have bluffed on.
He might show up with a king 10% - 20% of the time, but most of the time he's got ace high or worse.

Wrong, why would he bet this river with a small/mid pair ever? It's certainly in his flop call range and he's not going to get called by worse when betting since your range is so weak. I don't think you ever get him to fold anything worse than ace high here which is the smallest part of his range.You also need to take into account that you bet a very very dry flop and he needs to have a made hand or a mid/high ace to call your bet. When you get called on it and the runout completely blanks, it's time to give up the pot. You only have 6.75bb invested and this is a DoN. I'll say it again as well, his small/mid pairs act as great bluffcatchers in this spot and players at this level aren't good enough to fold these types of hands when you take this line.

Put yourself in villains shoes, if you have ace high, are you calling facing this action?

Never, however I would consider myself better than the average person in a $5.25 DoN on Bovada. My flopcall range would be something like A8-AJ, 22-99, and K2s-KQs, K6o-KQo. On the river it's pretty hard for me to bet with most of those hands knowing only better is calling and taking a check/call line allows me to bluffcatch while pot controlling OOP.

Last thing I want to say is, a great reason we shouldn't be opening 73o here in the first place pre-ante is because we want to make our decisions as easy as possible and not put ourselves in complicated situations when we don't have to. The harder the decision, the more thin each play you make becomes. Opening here might be fine if you go with a plan to open, cbet most boards when flatted, and give up if called. However your river bet was desperation and not needed at all.

T

trent32la

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
One thing you have not taken into account at all is what your range is when you bet this river. In the moment if I am the BB, I do not think you are opening atc on the button, K6s+, K9o+ would be the range I would give you. Certainly you are barreling this turn with those hands? So you pretty much have 99-QQ making an extremely thin value bet or air.

mbrenneman0

mbrenneman0

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
One thing you have not taken into account at all is what your range is when you bet this river. In the moment if I am the BB, I do not think you are opening atc on the button, K6s+, K9o+ would be the range I would give you. Certainly you are barreling this turn with those hands? So you pretty much have 99-QQ making an extremely thin value bet or air.

checking the turn back for pot control and keep his full range (all of his 2nd and 3rd pairs) in is what i would do with top pair on this board. he's probably not betting 2nd and 3rd pairs, but they might get scared off by a river bet. atleast they should if he plays correctly. i still expect him to bet the river with most of his kings, and high pocket pairs (TT+)

so its pretty clear IMO that villain played this pretty poorly. he had no business calling the flop, and no business calling the river. i guess you could say that i should have given up after he called the flop Cbet, but i still have a hard time not taking a stab at the river.

now i know he calls the flop and river with Ace high on this board texture and thats pretty valuable info IMO, means I can take him to value town when I hit the board right? .. i suppose i could have found that out for 7bb less too by checking the river

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Some good analysis here Trent! wp sir ;)