$4.40 NLHE MTT Bounty: Villains range and decision?

Bozovicdj

Bozovicdj

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
As the label says, I would like to know what do you put the villain on, and what would your decision be?I don't have detailed stats on the villain, since I registered late, and have been at the table for only about 15 hands.

pokerstars Hand #184749028792: Tournament #2263798863, $1.92+$2.00+$0.48 USD Hold'em No Limit - Level V (35/70) - 2018/04/03 13:07:02 CET [2018/04/03 7:07:02 ET]
Table '2263798863 87' 9-max Seat #2 is the button
Seat 1: BozovicDJ (7203 in chips, $2 bounty)
Seat 2: romanyk019 (4846 in chips, $2 bounty)
Seat 3: iren66614 (4204 in chips, $2 bounty)
Seat 4: baldiss (16224 in chips, $4 bounty)
Seat 5: mr.sheffer (8145 in chips, $3 bounty)
Seat 6: OrakelDuden (4213 in chips, $2 bounty)
Seat 7: f-man89 (3994 in chips, $2 bounty)
Seat 8: redrow12 (3635 in chips, $2 bounty)
Seat 9: Maks1183 (14026 in chips, $2 bounty)
BozovicDJ: posts the ante 11
romanyk019: posts the ante 11
iren66614: posts the ante 11
baldiss: posts the ante 11
mr.sheffer: posts the ante 11
OrakelDuden: posts the ante 11
f-man89: posts the ante 11
redrow12: posts the ante 11
Maks1183: posts the ante 11
iren66614: posts small blind 35
baldiss: posts big blind 70
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to BozovicDJ [Qs As]
mr.sheffer: folds
OrakelDuden: calls 70
f-man89: calls 70
redrow12: folds
Maks1183: folds
BozovicDJ: raises 420 to 490
romanyk019: folds
iren66614: folds
baldiss: folds
OrakelDuden: calls 420
f-man89: raises 3493 to 3983 and is all-in
BozovicDJ: raises 3209 to 7192 and is all-in
OrakelDuden: folds

Q

quant1986

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
QQ+ and perhaps AK without further information. Some tricky limpers love to limp with premium hands in early position.

Don't expect an all-in bluff here as he is facing two more to act.

J

jrx1908

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The tournament is only beginning, the best spots will appear. I fold.

rikoberto

rikoberto

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
As the label says, I would like to know what do you put the villain on, and what would your decision be?I don't have detailed stats on the villain, since I registered late, and have been at the table for only about 15 hands.

Hello BozovicDJ ..Well as previous guy mentioned,it ''smells'' trap,but probably i would call the shove..Let me explain why i would do this:
Ofc he can have monsters like JJ+,AK+ in his limping/shoving range but at that stakes its not extreme to say that can have any pocket pair,some good broadways like KJs,JQs or some hands that hit good on bords like T9s,JTs and decided to gamble.This has more sense if we think that he isnt the 1st limper so he doesnt open the pot with a limp-trap,but 2nd limper making trap kinda problematic for his ownself..
But lets say we dont have that info so he doesnt have broadways and all his range are medium to good pocket pairs such as 88+ and AK.
Against that range your AQs have 39.4% equity and when he shoved you take 1,48:1 pot odds(5167:3493) so you need 40.2% equity to call.These pot odds make call -EV IF it was normal MTT.But its not.Its Bounty Mtt..
Here i need to ask what exactly bounty Mtt it was because varies in format and in maths you need to use..But i supposed you played Progressive K.O MTT on Pokerstars..Also i need to know (because it doesnt mention below on your post)the starting stack of players.This is important because it will transform his bounty(2$) to chips..
A typical Progressive KO tournament with 50% bounty prize pool and 3,000 starting stack as an example, the initial starting bounty is worth 1,500 chips..So Assuming that starting stack was 3000 chips you must add the half of this amount on your pot odds(as the other half added on your bounty in case you eliminate him) to see if your call is profitable..So adding extra 1500 chips the initial 1,48:1 pot odds to call (if it was normal mtt) become 1,91:1 or 34,38% equity for call making it correct from maths prespective..If it deserves the risk that deep in blinds,its another subject :)
PS:I am very curious to know with what he finally shoves..if you can post it i would be gratefull :)

M

MattJM68

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

Obviously in an individual situation it doesn't seem a terrible decision to call, but if you think you are a strong player, fold and look for a better spot. If in a MTT you are in a situation where you're not pot committed and you have to call off your whole stack and you think you have, at best 50%, just fold and look for a better spot. In a tournament you have to worry about more than your direct odds. If you have 10k chips, and get it in with 50% 100 times, 50 times you will be out of the tourney and 50 times you will double up. Now those 50 times you go out are much worse than doubling is good. Did that make sense??? Basically the impact on your chances of winning the tournament is larger when losing chips than winning chips. So getting it in with at best 50%, especially if you believe you have a skill edge over the rest of the field, is -ev.

MoryMorte

MoryMorte

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
22-TT most of the time.
Some fishes trap with AA and maybe KK here but we don't have enough info to say that. You will bust him if you call so that makes it more of a call.
In a freezeout I will fold here, Rebuy tourney or Bounty I am calling.
Later in tourney I might fold but that bounty changes EVERYTHING.

H

Haemophile

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I've played against this player and he does take risks, this is not a monster hand by my reckoning but it is a pair. I,d say 77 88 or 99 as most times he raises with lower pairs and open shoves AK. bht there is a small chance of AA but i think its unlikely.

NHequalsFU

NHequalsFU

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think I can call here with no solid reads.

I dont think AA,KK or QQ should be jamming here with stack size.

You will be flipping against pairs <QQ most times and occasionally will see AK.

No real stats on villain either and I'm calling here.

Bozovicdj

Bozovicdj

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

Hello BozovicDJ ..Well as previous guy mentioned,it ''smells'' trap,but probably i would call the shove..Let me explain why i would do this:
Ofc he can have monsters like JJ+,AK+ in his limping/shoving range but at that stakes its not extreme to say that can have any pocket pair,some good broadways like KJs,JQs or some hands that hit good on bords like T9s,JTs and decided to gamble.This has more sense if we think that he isnt the 1st limper so he doesnt open the pot with a limp-trap,but 2nd limper making trap kinda problematic for his ownself..
But lets say we dont have that info so he doesnt have broadways and all his range are medium to good pocket pairs such as 88+ and AK.
Against that range your AQs have 39.4% equity and when he shoved you take 1,48:1 pot odds(5167:3493) so you need 40.2% equity to call.These pot odds make call -EV IF it was normal MTT.But its not.Its Bounty Mtt..
Here i need to ask what exactly bounty Mtt it was because varies in format and in maths you need to use..But i supposed you played Progressive K.O MTT on Pokerstars..Also i need to know (because it doesnt mention below on your post)the starting stack of players.This is important because it will transform his bounty(2$) to chips..
A typical Progressive KO tournament with 50% bounty prize pool and 3,000 starting stack as an example, the initial starting bounty is worth 1,500 chips..So Assuming that starting stack was 3000 chips you must add the half of this amount on your pot odds(as the other half added on your bounty in case you eliminate him) to see if your call is profitable..So adding extra 1500 chips the initial 1,48:1 pot odds to call (if it was normal mtt) become 1,91:1 or 34,38% equity for call making it correct from maths prespective..If it deserves the risk that deep in blinds,its another subject :)
PS:I am very curious to know with what he finally shoves..if you can post it i would be gratefull :)

Ty for this detailed answer, I honestly don't know the entire math behind odds in bounty tournaments, and am too lazy to calculate it during the game. But I do know it "increases" my EV, more often then not tilting it to the + side. Keeping that in mind I did call and of course got crushed by KK. The starting stack was 5000, and although I don't have detailed stats, I saw this player calling both IP and OOP to see the flop only to fold to a standard c-bet, so I kinda figured his range here is not so monster-like. Guess I was wrong..

I think I can call here with no solid reads.

I dont think AA,KK or QQ should be jamming here with stack size.

You will be flipping against pairs <QQ most times and occasionally will see AK.

No real stats on villain either and I'm calling here.
First and foremost, villain shouldn't be limping from UTG1 with AA/KK/QQ when UTG already limped before him, it is just too inviting for the rest of the table, therefore a very risky play. From that perspective, I was thinking lower pocket pairs not including TT/JJ, and some suited Ax, since I know that in these low buy in MTTs people tend to play them more aggressive then the hand deserves.

I've played against this player and he does take risks, this is not a monster hand by my reckoning but it is a pair. I,d say 77 88 or 99 as most times he raises with lower pairs and open shoves AK. bht there is a small chance of AA but i think its unlikely.
Knowing that V is a risk taker, would you call here with AQs, what would be the bottom of your calling range here?

Andrew Popov

Andrew Popov

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I suppose you overestimated the power of your hand.

A

AlexTheOwl

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
22-TT most of the time.
Some fishes trap with AA and maybe KK here but we don't have enough info to say that. You will bust him if you call so that makes it more of a call.
In a freezeout I will fold here, Rebuy tourney or Bounty I am calling.
Later in tourney I might fold but that bounty changes EVERYTHING.

Yes!

W

wilywiles

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thats gotta look like some pocket rockets setting up a trap. I think that also depends on the experience of the players at the table. If he's good, that would be a trap so maybe Im giving him to much credit but anything else, except kk or qq at the lowest, If he's doing that with anything less than 10s, I would say its because in low stake tournament, you tend to see radical wrecklessness at the tables

ZenGreen

ZenGreen

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I dont know what adjustments on ranges since this is a bounty game. If this is the only time in 15 hands that he has done this (Not only against you but anyone at table) if hes already jammed, Im calling. If this is the first time. Ill cry about it later and fold and just cuss at myself.

B

bkkblues99

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The tournament is only beginning, the best spots will appear. I fold.
This. Without any solid stats on the villain, this is at best a ~ 40% equity spot. I understand how some people pointed out the math involving Bounties, but I still strongly agree that the "better spot" argument beats the math, specially this early and with 50BB effective.

M

MattJM68

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This. Without any solid stats on the villain, this is at best a ~ 40% equity spot. I understand how some people pointed out the math involving Bounties, but I still strongly agree that the "better spot" argument beats the math, specially this early and with 50BB effective.
I'd love to know a pro's view on this. Is the additional value made from not taking a fairly decent ~50% equity decision worth the additional time spent in a tourney with less chips, or is it worth riding the variance, i'm not sure.

B

bkkblues99

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Maybe bankroll is also a factor here in a broad sense. For example, if I got 100+ buy-ins for this tourney, it probabyly makes sense to take these spots.

T

TheShek

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The old limp-re-raise all in. Oldest trick in the book! It screams of AA or KK, but as with the above opinions, they can do this with a lot of pocket pairs, KQs, AT/AJs, a lot of hands you're way ahead of. Plus with the bounty it's tough to fold since you are ahead. I watch a fair bit of Lex Veldhuis' stream and he would snap call here because of the bounty. He would call a lot wider even.