MP1 (385k) 55bb
MP2 (136k) 19bb
CO (634k) 91bb
BTN (292k) 42bb
SB (528k) 75bb
BB (228k) 33bbBlinds: 3.5k/7k Ante 850
Pre-Flop: (17k, 8 players) Hero is UTG J:diamond: Q:heart:

Hero raises to 15k, 5 folds, SB calls 12k, BB calls 8.4k

Flop: J:spade: J:heart: 7:heart: (53k, 3 players)
SB checks, BB checks, Hero bets 17k, SB calls 17k, BB folds
Turn: 4:club: (88k, 2)
SB checks, Hero bets 45k, SB calls 45k
River: 10:diamond: (179k, 2)
SB checks, Hero 178562

river bet?

omnom8

omnom8

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
omg i have mixed all my hands. what you this about jam as not closed draws or better to value bet lighter vs unknoun

Flight777sem

Flight777sem

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It’s hard to get call with that show even if your opponent has lots of chips. I would go with lighter bad on that board as 90k-98k. Try to get value from the 7.

Matt Vaughan

Matt Vaughan

King of Moody Rants
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Are you targeting the player in the blinds trying to isolate and maybe get a bounty? This is a pretty light open when offsuit from UTG, even 8-handed. And we are too deep to be trying to iso the BB just because we cover them. We won't win the bounty very often.

On this flop I'd be betting larger. Worse Jx is never folding, flush draws won't fold to 40-50% pot. Our range also prefers getting folds from like AhX combos imo, which we might not accomplish with this size. I don't hate it but in general I prefer a bit bigger.

Turn I would also go bigger. Draws still available and some of them improve substantially to include a pair or a gutter or open-ended now. It also makes the river jam much smoother and less jarring. Even making it 65k instead of 45k means we can jam river 158ish into 220ish.

As played this is a pretty bad river to get value on though. JT improves, 98hh improves, and it is potentially a scare card to bare 7x. Some Tx hearts hands now have a pair but jamming pot feels thin.

Maybe we could go like 1/3 pot or something? I'm unsure about jamming though.

Bozovicdj

Bozovicdj

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Are you targeting the player in the blinds trying to isolate and maybe get a bounty? This is a pretty light open when offsuit from UTG, even 8-handed. And we are too deep to be trying to iso the BB just because we cover them. We won't win the bounty very often.

On this flop I'd be betting larger. Worse Jx is never folding, flush draws won't fold to 40-50% pot. Our range also prefers getting folds from like AhX combos imo, which we might not accomplish with this size. I don't hate it but in general I prefer a bit bigger.

Turn I would also go bigger. Draws still available and some of them improve substantially to include a pair or a gutter or open-ended now. It also makes the river jam much smoother and less jarring. Even making it 65k instead of 45k means we can jam river 158ish into 220ish.

As played this is a pretty bad river to get value on though. JT improves, 98hh improves, and it is potentially a scare card to bare 7x. Some Tx hearts hands now have a pair but jamming pot feels thin.

Maybe we could go like 1/3 pot or something? I'm unsure about jamming though.

My thoughts exactly. I am kinda happy that I am thinking exactly the same from the pre flop action to the river! Praise the poker gurus :)

C

choppot

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
The thing is this person has called 2 streets. This is a SB and SB's tend to have a tighter range than a BB caller. I don't see the SB calling pre with a lot of 7's in their range. The only 7's I see in their range are pocket 7's in which case he flopped way better than you did. They also would call with AJ or KJ which has you out kicked. I really don't see any value on the river and think a check is in order because what kind of worse hands would call you on the river anyway. Maybe an ace high would call you if you made the bet real small. A busted flush draw wouldn't call any bet. So just check it down just in case you are stuck in a trap with the pocket 7's, AJ or KJ.

Another piece of advice for you. FOLD QJo from UTG. You did hit the flop this time but in the long run, playing QJo from UTG will lose money. If this was a 3 or 4 handed table then QJ UTG is fine to raise with but at an 8 handed table not so much.