$3 NLHE MTT: Turn donk overbet from Villain with AA

A

awesome

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Here's the preflop action

With 30bb, I considered a flat preflop but with a UTG raise, I'm happy to 3b and hope for a 4b to get it all in.

Game ID: 947742178 75/150 $1,000 GTD, Table 14 (Hold'em)
Seat 8 is the button
Seat 1: sosim2 (15806).
Seat 2: Villain (11180).
Seat 3: luckystar1 (6325).
Seat 5: FloppinDonkNuts (5665).
Seat 6: BeansBeans (8825).
Seat 7: Hero (4452).
Seat 8: prettyolesya (6215).
Seat 9: DehOne (4775).
Player DehOne ante (15)
Player sosim2 ante (15)
Player Villain ante (15)
Player luckystar1 ante (15)
Player FloppinDonkNuts ante (15)
Player BeansBeans ante (15)
Player Hero ante (15)
Player prettyolesya ante (15)
Player DehOne has small blind (75)
Player sosim2 has big blind (150)
Player Hero received card: [Ad]
Player Hero received card: [Ac]
Player Villain raises (350)
Player luckystar1 folds
Player FloppinDonkNuts folds
Player BeansBeans folds
Player Hero raises (873)
Player prettyolesya folds
Player DehOne folds
Player sosim2 folds
Player Villain calls (523)

Here's the flop and V checked.

*** FLOP ***: [2s 8h 7c]
Player Villain checks
Player Hero checks

I checked behind to get some bluffs and value bets from V on the turn.

The turn is where it gets interesting. V overbet donk leads the turn.

*** TURN ***: [2s 8h 7c] [3s]
Player Villain bets (2091)

What do you do here?

M

marnburger

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Not a donk lead as you checked flop, but anyway, I think I'd call here and on any river. Hand is intentionally underrepped and you have the best overpair so are only losing to 77, 88 and possibly 78s. This could be a value bet with hands mentioned or 99+, also could be a bluff with Asxs, or maybe some king high suited broadway with both spades. I think you're ahead here and are well up in your range.

The overbet is interesting, I guess you haven't seen them slightly over pot bet before? Could be trying to make up for missed value on the flop as they were planning to x/r or it's for protection, I'm leaning more towards the latter without a specific read, making the flush draw/lower overpairs more likely. Their general aggression could be a factor, if they are a complete nit and overbetting here maybe it's only with sets?

You can't really raise here as you have no fold equity against sets, tbh even the flush draws will probably call, so a raise would be for value which I don't think is worth it. I'd be hoping to check back the river but would have to call any bet.

Overall, there's only 6 likely combos of hands that are beating you here, should be feeling pretty good here about playing a 50-60BB stack next hand!

T

trent32la

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
3B larger pre. Making it 975 here.

Flop check is fine as it protects our checking range and our hand does not need a lot of protection.

Turn I'm flatting and calling it off on any river card.

S

Supmargy

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Villain range could be 33, 77+ imo, but its most likely worse. You did a good job checking imo. If he has a set, that's too bad but it seems like he's probably overbetting to make you fold.
Maybe he has some broadway spades or something like that, hoping for the bd flush draw.
I'd call in this situation though.

SuzdalDEcor

SuzdalDEcor

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
bad check flop. you can give some hands to get better combo than you (89 9T 76 65 99 55 66 etc)

smerald

smerald

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I don't mind the way you played it up to the turn, the big bet does put you in a tough spot so it isn't really necessarily a donk bet. It is definitely in Villian's range to have hit a set but I would probably call him off cause 99+ is also in his range.

What'd you end up doing?

Joe

Joe

99.98% Kiln dried
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
$3 NLHE MTT: Turn donk overbet from Villain with AA

My initial reaction is it smells like a nut flush draw...

To me the over bet implies the villain is trying to get you off the hand and take the pot, but with a set he'd surely prefer a couple of smaller calls...

Unless he himself doesn't like the second spade, but that doesn't add up in my mind..

As others have said- I guess I'm calling it down and hoping the poker gods aren't upset with me today...

In retrospect, can't figure out what the villain is raising 5xbb UTG with here that connects with that board besides AK spades, the other two aces or KK...

Would like to know what happened!

mbrenneman0

mbrenneman0

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
yeah, thats not a donk bet because it checked through the flop and you gave up initiative. which is a fine way to play this hand of course, just not the definition of a donk bet

if youre whole point for checking was to get him to bet then i dont see the issue here? you got him to do exactly what you wanted him to right? if you think he's bluffing then just call, bet or raise most rivers (obviously depending on the board texture, flat calling a river bet on boards that are dangerous)

mcgregor_415

mcgregor_415

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I would put half pot bet on the flop and would make pot bet on the turn, trying to put under pressure a possible flush draw. You can't do nothing vs sets here as you are already well committed.
In the way he plays, I would got all in on the turn as he overbet you.

A

awesome

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
A few things worth mentioning.

Over 133 hands, I had V tagged as quite aggressive with an Agg factor of 3.0 and Agg Freq on the Turn of 68%.

This was one of the reasons I checked the flop. The others:
2: I can get it in comfortably over two streets with 3500 behind and 2100 in the pot.
3: straighten my check back range.
4: underrep my hand.
5: microstakes players will go nuts on this flop w a pocket pair north of the high card.

I respectfully disagree with the flat turn and call any river advice. If we are calling any river and the pot is 6000 after calling the turn with Hero having 1500 behind...the only two options are fold or jam in my view. Once I call this bet, neither player should have any fold equity with Hero only having 25% of pot left in his stack.

I jammed.

V had top pair with the nut flush draw and she binked.

Player Hero allin (3564)
Player Villain calls (1473)
*** RIVER ***: [2s 8h 7c 3s] [4s]
------ Summary ------
Pot: 9219
Board: [2s 8h 7c 3s 4s]
Player sosim2 does not show cards.Bets: 165. Collects: 0. Loses: 165.
*Player Villain shows: Flush, A high [As 8s]. Bets: 4452. Collects: 9219. Wins: 4767.
Player luckystar1 does not show cards.Bets: 15. Collects: 0. Loses: 15.
Player FloppinDonkNuts does not show cards.Bets: 15. Collects: 0. Loses: 15.
Player BeansBeans does not show cards.Bets: 15. Collects: 0. Loses: 15.
Player Hero shows: One pair of As [Ad Ac]. Bets: 4452. Collects: 0. Loses: 4452.
Player prettyolesya does not show cards.Bets: 15. Collects: 0. Loses: 15.
Player DehOne does not show cards.Bets: 90. Collects: 0. Loses: 90.
Game ended at: 2017/6/30 10:51:46

Q

QA77

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I like calling almost every hand here. Then re-evaluate on the river but most likely call since your hand is hidden.

Joe

Joe

99.98% Kiln dried
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
This is why I'm learning to try and trust my initial reactions... [emoji1]

Harsh times mate...

The other day heads up on FT for the win in a 360 entrants tourney I flopped a straight and he flopped a flush, chances of that? [emoji23]

Was eventually philosophical & happy with 2nd place all things considered...