€3 NLHE MTT Rebuy: Button position and nut flush draw

poker_bro

poker_bro

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't have hud stats and I don't remember clearly what happened, stack sizes, blind sizes etc, but I think somebody could help me to create a basic plan for the same kind of situations.

Everybody folds, and I make the basic opening bet on the Button, I have AQ hearts, small blind 3bets (almost same stack size with me, semi unknown, but because he has a bigger stack size than others + other tells, I think he is a semi-good regular). My first mistake, I didn't 4bet, probably because of that table seems very passive, so I thought he had a very strong hand, but anyway, a huge mistake.

Flop seemed perfect, J club (or something), Ten and 8 heart, nut flush draw and nut straight draw for me (15 outs). The small blind checked, I made cBet, I am not sure was it half of the pot or 3/4, he called. Turn - another eight, now I have a very tough spot. I can't just check and show weakness, and what if I don't complete my flush or straight on the River? I will lose a huge pot. I have no idea what he could have, and because there was a strong draw for me, I went all in, main purpose to get him to fold, he called. I didn't complete my draws and he showed AJo, and I lost a big pot, 2/3 of my stack.

My question is if I made that 4bet and he calls, how should I play this hand?

Edu1

Edu1

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
in my opinion you can adopt two ways to play in this spot, you can play the passive style and see what the SB will do first, trying make your straight or flush without any Cbet or raise, only paying if he bet (the size of the pot is already big, if you won is nice, and I think both are not so deep in the tournament for these big bets)
or play aggressive, like you do, (but knowing the risks) and bet the pot in the flop and hope to make your hand better in the next streets
this agressive style is good for high rollers tournaments, no for $3 mtt
reminder, you're lossing this hand in the flop even with 15 outs, SB range is like 10% of all hands (you basically is losing for any hand in "villain" range) so I think the passive style is more common to play in this situation

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Preflop
I am never folding AQs to a normal 3-bet, when I have position on the 3-better. But that being said I think, it is totally fine to just call and play the pot in position. 4-bet jamming is also +EV, but in general you will get snapped by AK and big pocket pairs and fold out anything else, so you are not inducing many mistakes, and its high variance.

Flop
I like a bet here with all those outs. Its actually not even a bluff, since you are ahead equity wise of a hand like top pair, and he could have some worse draws as well, that will call. For the record its not a C-bet, since Villain put in the last bet on the previous street.

Turn
I have made this jam in similar spots, and the outcome has usually been the same as, what you experienced. Villain snap with top pair or better, I brick, and I am out of the tournament or left with a crippled stack. The issue is, that with typical tournament stack sizes of 30-50BB, there is simply not much fold equity left, when Villain has already called a big flop bet. So I think, checking back is a much better play. Semi-bluffing is only great, if people actually fold. As someone with a cash game background, I find, that this is one of the situations, where I need to adjust my style.

poker_bro

poker_bro

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thank you very much for great answers.

Actually, I had 18 outs btw (+3 Queens).
And I agree with that passive play recommendations, but I was too afraid to not hit my draws. Anyway, I had only something like 20bb stack, rebuy time was ended and bubble position wasn't even near, so I had to make that aggressive play to get some chips, this time I was unlucky.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
With 20BB is does not seem like, there was enough stack to call a 3-bet and then make it a 2-street game postflop. So either 4-bet jam pre or simply jam the flop, when he check to you. This gives you max fold equity, and if he has a hand like AJ, you actually get it in ahead. I has assuming stacks like 30-40BB or even more.

Full Flush Poker