$3 NLHE MTT: Final two tables, short handed, BTN v BB w A9s

A

awesome

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Villian Stats (VPIP/PFR/AF): 26/19/1.8

I am on the BTN w 16bb and A9s (spades).

I min raised and the most active player (stats above) at the table calls in the BB.

Here's the preflop action and flop:

Game started at: 2017/11/13 15:50:8
Game ID: 1052817658 3500/7000 $1,000 GTD, Table 13 (Hold'em)
Seat 8 is the button
Seat 1: Downer23 (78299).
Seat 4: VinayAKa (309617).
Seat 5: Bjornolf (175441).
Seat 6: McHirowin (147978).
Seat 7: RiverMan88 (193324).
Seat 8: HERO (115312).
Player Downer23 ante (700)
Player VinayAKa ante (700)
Player Bjornolf ante (700)
Player McHirowin ante (700)
Player RiverMan88 ante (700)
Player HERO ante (700)
Player Downer23 has small blind (3500)
Player VinayAKa has big blind (7000)
Player HERO received card: [9s]
Player HERO received card: [As]
Player Bjornolf folds
Player McHirowin folds
Player RiverMan88 folds
Player HERO raises (14000)
Player Downer23 folds
Player VinayAKa calls (7000)
*** FLOP ***: [5s 3h 7h]
Player VinayAKa checks

This is clearly a better flop for the BB caller. Do you cbet here with the back door flush draw, two overs and Ace high?

Jblocher1

Jblocher1

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Shove pre to decrease your variance with 16BB. As played im checking this flop though because it hits BB's range better than our own. In a micro MTT though you aren't likely to get floated on the final two tables of an MTT so if you did cbet I wouldn't hate it necessarily. If u are cbetting the bet should be 1/3 pot. But like I said, shove pre though especially to decrease variance vs the 10BB SB player.

U

uavissar

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Shove pre. A must. SB is short and BB is deep. You dont want to give odds to the BB to call, or fold to a shove from SB.

As played- check and re evaluate on turn.

A

AlexTheOwl

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Pre-flop is probably a shove, but ICM and the small blind's stats are a factor in raise or shove decision.

You don't want the blinds to wake up with a hand and knock you out before the money, or before a significant pay jump, if they are likely to fold to a smaller raise.

It's true that the flop hits the BB's range better than yours. But if he had a pocket pair he would probably have 3-bet pre-flop. And he probably would have folded unsuited low cards to your raise.

Even with the wet flop, his most likely hand here is no pairs and no draws.

I'd c-bet most of the time here. If the flop was similarly wet with higher cards I usually would not c-bet.

Unfortunately your c-bet will look like a c-bet. So if your opponent has a tendency to float, or 3-bet, I'd be less likely to c-bet.

A

awesome

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Fold to cbet is 40%

I checked.

Turn gets interesting.

Player HERO checks
*** TURN ***: [5s 3h 7h] [3s]
Player VinayAKa bets (19852)

V leads 55% pot on the board pairing.

We now have the flush draw.

I'm Calling in position in this spot but it should be a fun river situation.

Any views on the call?

A

awesome

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The river is where it gets fun.

We hit TPTK and V moves us all in.

*** RIVER ***: [5s 3h 7h 3s] [9d]
Player VinayAKa bets (95626)

You calling?

U

uavissar

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Fold to cbet is 40%

I checked.

Turn gets interesting.

Player HERO checks
*** TURN ***: [5s 3h 7h] 3♠
Player VinayAKa bets (19852)

V leads 55% pot on the board pairing.

We now have the flush draw.

I'm Calling in position in this spot but it should be a fun river situation.

Any views on the call?

That's about half pot no?
You have over cards and flush draw. Best case you have 15 outs, which us about 30% (again best case), so you have pot odds to call.

With that said, on a paired board a good player will put pressure on you when the river comes, especially on this specific board that fits his range much more than your range (in theory at least).

If a spade comes on the river I don't see you getting any value and if you do get called its probably by a FH.

Hence I suggest you raise big here, even shove.
You represent a monster. You block spades. A 7 or a 5 will have a hard time calling here. Even a small over pair will have a hard time calling here. Obviously, you will be snapped by a FH or a 3 and if you do get called by a 7 or a or a 5, you have outs.

16clumsyandshy

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Seems like a simple call on the river since you're only losing to a Full house or a random 3. But would villain really lead the turn with a full house or trips? Seems too strong to do that after you checked back the flop. To me your hand looks like Ace high that is bluff catching and he is trying to push you off the hand.

D

dpucciarelli

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Shove pre !!!!!! Villain must not see any cards.

E

Edvin55555

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I prefer to cbet in this case. You have good chances for his fold or improving your equity on turn card.

liuouhgkres

liuouhgkres

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
KH
Chips
Preflop: I kinda disagree with others. In late stage I prefer to not shove agressively. Depends on players on blinds, if they are tight, it's better to raise and fold to 3-bet, because they are 3-betting very tight. So min-raise preflop.

Flop: This flop suits bb, so you shouldn't be bluffing very wide. You have better bluff candidates with less showdown value like small suited connectors.

Turn: Shove. This is a great spot to make him give up ton of equity. He should fold 5 and 7 and if he has hearts flush draw he has tough spot.

River: With these stacks it is easy call.

Bozovicdj

Bozovicdj

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Preflop: I kinda disagree with others. In late stage I prefer to not shove agressively. Depends on players on blinds, if they are tight, it's better to raise and fold to 3-bet, because they are 3-betting very tight. So min-raise preflop.

Flop: This flop suits bb, so you shouldn't be bluffing very wide. You have better bluff candidates with less showdown value like small suited connectors.

Turn: Shove. This is a great spot to make him give up ton of equity. He should fold 5 and 7 and if he has hearts flush draw he has tough spot.

River: With these stacks it is easy call.

Well, if hero was to decide to check the flop, what is he representing on the turn with that shove? It looks like an A high shove and is likely to get called by a lot of bluff catchers, which is bad news for us.
That being said, I would advise a pre-flop raise or at least a good c-bet.
As played, river is a call

Jacki Burkhart

Jacki Burkhart

long winded rambler...
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I will sometimes raise pre sometimes jam pre depends on: how tight and good are the players in the blinds? The tighter/weaker they are the more likely I am to kin raise/fold. The better/more aggressive they are the more likely I am to just jam with what is most likely the best hand and not risk getting outplayed later.

Flop: not a great flop to Cbet but BDFD and 2 overs isn’t terrible equity. If villain has a highish fold to Cbet (like above 60) then I’ll Cbet something like 30% of pot. The more competent my opponent the more ill keep this flop as a Check Back.

Turn: as played I think I like a flat and reassess on river. If you had Cbet Small and then he led this turn I’d be more inclined to jam because we’re repping stronger hands and the pot is worth winning. BUT...if you flat this turn you must be willing to hero some rivers with A hi. Not all the time but you must have that mode. If you don’t think you have that in you; better to keep it simple and equity deny by jamming.

River: as played this is a must call. You have TPTK but also you have the top of your range that could ever get here this way. And what is villain repping? He could have a 3; but there’s not a ton of combos he would call with preflop. If he has a random 3 Then good for him he’s getting my stack.

Ryan Laplante

Ryan Laplante

CardsChat Pro
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The river is where it gets fun.

We hit TPTK and V moves us all in.

*** RIVER ***: [5s 3h 7h 3s] [9d]
Player VinayAKa bets (95626)

You calling?
Easy call.

Id shove pre, but raise is ok.

Flop checking is definitely best.

Turn is ez call.

Well played. :)

T

trent32la

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
From an unexploitable standpoint, this is a shove pre.

However, in a $3.30 MTT, we can play more exploitively and raise a wide range on the button from this stack, therefore our inducing range needs to be larger and A9s would go into my r/c range here.

Postflop I am play the hand the same way and calling river.

MaSSive_1

MaSSive_1

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Shove pf for so many reasons.. Its 2018 almost even in 3$ tourny people will defend the bb decent amount. No point of letting them realising equity for that price. See all 5 cards with that stack or pick the blinds and antes.

Lorpugo

Lorpugo

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
villain shows ten ten and you are out :)

A

awesome

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I called.

Bummer.

Player HERO allin (80760)
Uncalled bet (14866) returned to VinayAKa
------ Summary ------
Pot: 236924
Board: [5s 3h 7h 3s 9d]
Player Downer23 does not show cards.Bets: 4200. Collects: 0. Loses: 4200.
*Player VinayAKa shows: Three Of Kind of 3s [3d Qd]. Bets: 115312. Collects: 236924. Wins: 121612.
Player Bjornolf does not show cards.Bets: 700. Collects: 0. Loses: 700.
Player McHirowin does not show cards.Bets: 700. Collects: 0. Loses: 700.
Player RiverMan88 does not show cards.Bets: 700. Collects: 0. Loses: 700.
Player HERO shows: Two pairs. 9s and 3s [9s As]. Bets: 115312. Collects: 0. Loses: 115312.
Game ended at: 2017/11/13 15:51:32

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands