$3.50 NLHE STT: Slow play didn't work out

6bet

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
https://www.cardschat.com/replayer/224A3rbp0

I think I played this hand very poorly overall, but decided to slow play here on the flop because Im heavily blocking hands that can continue. On the turn the bet size used by villain leads me to believe he has nothing and I was hoping he would keep bluffing the river.

How would you guys play this hand? Just start betting always on the flop and keep barrelling? Alternate lines?

A

acemenow

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Depends on my read on the player.

If in a vacuum I am not playing like you did, I am running a standard continuation bet on the flop.

If I know something about the player I'll adjust my bet sizing but at this point in time unless I know the player to be a LAG and in too many pots, I want him to pay to see his hands. If he raises me after my continuation bet, I will snap 4 bet on that flop. If he hits his straight after I got it in good , so be it.

If we get to the turn because he just called called my continuation bet, I will barrel the turn.

The question I will be asking myself is similar to yours am I losing value? It can be tricky but you want to play this the same way you would for your range of hands not just with two pair so I may be over aggressive. unsure tbh

jaworek1405

jaworek1405

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hello, for me slow play on the flop looks good, because the flop is safe, we don't see too many draws. Only hand like jto catches some outs to straight. Opponent plays small bet on the turn. For me this small bet means that he hasn't a king, because if he has a king probably he will play bigger bet. This small bet can mean that opponent can something weak, for example Qx on the hand, sometimes small pocket pair or 5x. When opponent checks on the river, it means for me that my read on the turn is right and he has something weak, check in this situation on the river usually means that opponent give up his hand. In conclusion, I probably play this hand like hero. GL :)

Last edited:
eetenor

eetenor

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

I think I played this hand very poorly overall, but decided to slow play here on the flop because Im heavily blocking hands that can continue. On the turn the bet size used by villain leads me to believe he has nothing and I was hoping he would keep bluffing the river.

How would you guys play this hand? Just start betting always on the flop and keep barrelling? Alternate lines?

Thank you for posting

When slow playing we must always think about Villain range and how it hit the board.
On this flop we are blocking V’s range so it is unlikely V has K or Q and we have all the Kx Qx combos so a check back is fine.
On the turn we can consider a raise but V bet weakly so again the call is fine.
On the river V has shown nothing but weakness so our sizing is wrong. The V knows we van have a slow played hand knows we can have a flush knows that we would have called turn with AJ or any suited Ace hearts. So we need to try to get a crying call by betting min.

In some spots we would bet big to make it look like a bluff. In order to do this our player pool has to make similar bluff sizing. Does your player pool do that?
If strong looking bets are always strong in your player pool we have to make a weak bet to get called by weakish hands

Hope this helps

:):)

Evan Jarvis

Evan Jarvis

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

Generally I would just bet the flop, but mixing in a check is totally cool.

You gave them a chance to bluff at it and they didn't follow up, you still likely got the maximum from an air type hand.

Remember, the hard part in hold'em is not hitting the board, it's having your opponent hit the board with a 2nd best hand at the same time that's the big challenge.

Kudos to you for mixing it up and just unlucky that they didn't have a piece!

6bet

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Generally I would just bet the flop, but mixing in a check is totally cool.

You gave them a chance to bluff at it and they didn't follow up, you still likely got the maximum from an air type hand.

Remember, the hard part in hold'em is not hitting the board, it's having your opponent hit the board with a 2nd best hand at the same time that's the big challenge.

Kudos to you for mixing it up and just unlucky that they didn't have a piece!

Appreciate your feedback Evan, I've enjoyed a lot of your material on Pokercoaching and youtube. Keep up the good work!