$3.50 NLHE STT: Did I make a mistake here, if so, on which street?

L

LuisBoaC

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Villian Stats (VPIP/PFR/AF): 38/17/2

Only 8 hands in (never met villain before). I think I may have been too passive somewhere in this hand.

pokerstars, $3.11 + $0.39 - Hold'em No Limit - 10/20 (3 ante) - 9 players
Replay this hand on Upswing Poker

UTG: 1,292 (65 bb)
UTG+1: 1,848 (92 bb)
MP: 1,358 (68 bb)
MP+1: 1,388 (69 bb)
LP: 1,729 (86 bb)
CO: 1,372 (69 bb)
BU (Hero): 1,442 (72 bb)
SB: 1,589 (79 bb)
BB: 1,482 (74 bb)

Pre-Flop: (57) Hero is BTN with 2 2
UTG calls 20, 1 fold, MP calls 20, 1 fold, LP calls 20, 1 fold, Hero calls 20, SB calls 10, BB checks

Flop: (147) 2 A J (6 players)
SB checks, BB checks, UTG checks, MP checks, LP bets 147, Hero calls 147, 4 players fold

Turn: (441) J (2 players)
LP bets 441, Hero calls 441

River: (1,323) J (2 players)
LP bets 1,118 (all-in), Hero calls 831 (all-in)

Total pot: 2,985

Showdown:
LP shows 9 A (a full house, Jacks full of Aces)
(Equity - Pre-Flop: 47%, Flop: 4%, Turn: 9%, River: 100%)

BU (Hero) shows 2 2 (a full house, Jacks full of Twos)
(Equity - Pre-Flop: 53%, Flop: 96%, Turn: 91%, River: 0%)

LP wins 2,985

PackinPat

PackinPat

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

Only 8 hands in (never met villain before). I think I may have been too passive somewhere in this hand.

PokerStars, $3.11 + $0.39 - Hold'em No Limit - 10/20 (3 ante) - 9 players

UTG calls 20, 1 fold, MP calls 20, 1 fold, LP calls 20, 1 fold, Hero calls 20, SB calls 10, BB checks

SB checks, BB checks, UTG checks, MP checks, LP bets 147, Hero calls 147, 4 players fold

Showdown:

LP wins 2,985

I think you played this fine. some hands your just going to get it all in and lose.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I dont like isolating 4 limpers preflop with 22, so I am totally on board with just limping behind and trying to flop a set. I also dont like raising on the flop, when he pots it. It was a monotone board, and even though this guy was obviously a goofball, there was no way of knowing this, and the 4 other guys could also have flopped a flush and be looking to check-raise.

On the turn you could just rip it, when you filled up. But when he pots it again, it looks kind of wild, so I am on board with just calling and giving him a chance to blast off on the river with whatever, he have. On the river you got counterfeited. While you technically improved to a better full house, a ton of other hands improved to quads or full houses, that beat you.

So at this point I would just hate life and let it go. Sometimes when you get counterfeited, you can turn your hand into a bluff, but that was obviously not possible here. And then there is nothing else to do than just accept, what happened, and not get married to your hand or go on entitlement tilt.

Its easy to be results oriented and say, you should have raised, while you still had the best hand. But if you rip it on the turn, is he really giving you action with A9? I dont think so, and then you are just denying him a tiny bit of equity. On any river, thats not an A, a J or another diamond, you are surely getting value from him. So as long as you find that fold on the river, you played the hand perfect.

Last edited:
F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think you played this fine. some hands your just going to get it all in and lose.

But not nessesarely with bottom pair in a limped pot. There was a counterfeit on the river, and 22 was now no different from 32.

C

CB33

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Flop is fine as played, flush is there and villian overbets pot. I think I would have jammed on the turn with bottom full house and villian overbets again. With no preflop raise can’t really put on AA, AJ or JJ, I would put a flush or trips between flop and turn in his range the way he played this. Any A,J, river kills hero’s hand plus if villian has J and second card hits we counterfeit.

Unfortunate river. I find a fold as played on the river, not much we are beating here against a player that has overbet pot 2 streets and jams river. That all being said, the way villian played the hand, possibly would have called a jam on turn so same result. GG��♠️

Last edited:
C

CB33

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I dont like isolating 4 limpers preflop with 22, so I am totally on board with just limping behind and trying to flop a set. I also dont like raising on the flop, when he pots it. It was a monotone board, and even though this guy was obviously a goofball, there was no way of knowing this, and the 4 other guys could also have flopped a flush and be looking to check-raise.

On the turn you could just rip it, when you filled up. But when he pots it again, it looks kind of wild, so I am on board with just calling and giving him a chance to blast off on the river with whatever, he have. On the river you got counterfeited. While you technically improved to a better full house, a ton of other hands improved to quads or full houses, that beat you.

So at this point I would just hate life and let it go. Sometimes when you get counterfeited, you can turn your hand into a bluff, but that was obviously not possible here. And then there is nothing else to do than just accept, what happened, and not get married to your hand or go on entitlement tilt.

Its easy to be results oriented and say, you should have raised, while you still had the best hand. But if you rip it on the turn, is he really giving you action with A9? I dont think so, and then you are just denying him a tiny bit of equity. On any river, thats not an A, a J or another diamond, you are surely getting value from him. So as long as you find that fold on the river, you played the hand perfect.

I can get on board with this also. I might be a bit more nitty than you, ha!

C

chiefmax

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
the limp was fine and the call on the flop was fine. on the turn id go all in hoping to get a J to call. on the river you fold because your hand wasnt that good anymore.

greatgame230

greatgame230

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think the hand was well played but I would have raised after the flop there are 3 hearts I would not have wanted a fourth heart on the turn, in this case, you would have control of the hand and it would have been easier to play it, but this is just my opinion I think that the hand was well played anyway

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
on the turn id go all in hoping to get a J to call.

Given that the Villain bet the flop into 5 other players on a monotone board, his range should be made flushes, sets and perhaps top two pair for value, and the nut flushdraw as his bluffs. And if he does have something overplayed, as in fact he did, its more likely to be top pair than second pair.

His line here is a bit like a small dog, which is all bark and no bite. Acting very tough while in fact he is just scared and want everyone to fold, so that he can win a small pot :)

V

Veritas

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think the Hand went from bad on the flop to the worst on the river.

flopping a set on a monotone board and facing a pot size bet, i would consider raising. calling is still okay, but raising is better.
Turning the set into a full house and still only calling a pot size bet for 22bb?? he wants some value and you have the nuts (assuming he 3bets AJ, AA and JJ pre), so what are you waiting for?? with calling you have less than pot size behind so if you shove he is getting the Right Price to call.
on the river I think V doesn't have too many bluffs in his range and we can only beat a bluff or a flush. any A, Any PP, the last J beats us and we split vs 2x. so calling here is the worst you could do. he might slow down with a small flush once the board paired and he won't shove it on the river when you are committed to the pot because his flush can't beat anything you would call with. therefor you have to fold the river and you still have 40bb left to Play, that's a lot!
all you did in this Hand was to call and bust to a bad run out. to be honest, that is what you get for slow rolling the nuts! don't be a calling station, next time raise/shove and take the pot!

F

FernandPoker

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I raise very big turn for value and some kind of protection, if the board pairs, but IDK if that would be a good play.

jfmcd86

jfmcd86

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I would’ve folded set of 2’s on the turn, there is 3 hearts and a pair of jacks on the board, but if I were to call on the turn that would be an easy fold in the river

Bozovicdj

Bozovicdj

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

PokerStars, $3.11 + $0.39 - Hold'em No Limit - 10/20 (3 ante) - 9 players

Showdown:

LP wins 2,985

Easy limp pre-flop,
go for the raise on the flop, a lot of Ax hands will call your bet, a lot of Kx with the K of hearts will call you, at the same time if you just call (like you did) there are way too many turn cards that would make Villain shut down and just go for a check-fold which would mean you lose value on later streets. Try getting some value on that flop!

If you haven't raised the flop, definitely raise that turn when you've hit a full house.

Considering how it went down, river is a fold IMO, just every A is now beating you, also every pocket pair beats you etc.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I would’ve folded set of 2’s on the turn, there is 3 hearts and a pair of jacks on the board, but if I were to call on the turn that would be an easy fold in the river

We had a full house on the turn, so at that point we beat a flush and only lost to quads (JJ) or better full houses (AA, AJ, J2). AA, JJ and even AJ would probably have raised preflop, and J2 would have folded. So its extremely unlikely, we dont have the best hand at this point, and folding would be insanely nitty.

Last edited:
G

gustav197poker

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hi good day. I leave my opinion.
I think that on the flop and in the turn you did not play badly.
Given the texture of the board, you limited yourself to the call and that seems acceptable to me.
I think on the river, you had very little chance of winning, as any pair won. And with 3 big bets (Flop-turn-river) made by the villain, most likely he has connected a hand, which just beat yours in the river.
It seems to me that you had bad luck, it is not a common table and these riverazos usually happen.
Greetings.