L

LuisBoaC

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Villian Stats (VPIP/PFR/AF): 55/10/6

Initially I thought this was a cooler but now I wonder if the clues were there. The all-in player (SB) has been tight and passive all game. Villain has seen a lot of flops but rarely open raised or 3-bet pre. The c-bet in position was in character but I wonder if the size should have made me wary, especially as it was into a side pot? Should the fact that villain was ignoring the opportunity for implicit collusion to eliminate a player have convinced me I was beaten?
As I've written this I now think folding would have been too tight, don't think I can narrow his range far enough, can I? On Equilab giving villain a super-tight range of QQ+, AK+ (and the player who is all-in on any 2) still gives me 25% equity. But should I have just called? If so, what to do on turn and river? Do I need to give more thought to what SB has?

pokerstars, $3.11 + $0.39 - Hold'em No Limit - 60/120 (15 ante) - 6 players
Replay this hand on Upswing Poker

UTG: 2,929 (24 bb)
MP (Hero): 2,465 (21 bb)
CO: 1,282 (11 bb)
BU: 3,980 (33 bb)
SB: 496 (4 bb)
BB: 2,348 (20 bb)

Pre-Flop: (270) Hero is MP with K Q
1 fold, Hero raises to 360, 1 fold, BTN 3-bets to 600, SB calls 421 (all-in), 1 fold, Hero calls 240

Flop: (1,891) 9 K 6 (3 players, 1 all-in)
Hero checks, BTN bets 1,080, Hero raises to 1,850 (all-in), BTN calls 770

Turn: (5,591) 6 (3 players, 2 all-in)

River: (5,591) 2 (3 players, 2 all-in)

Total pot: 5,591

Showdown:
MP (Hero) shows K Q (two pair, Kings and Sixes)
(Equity - Pre-Flop: 13%, Flop: 22%, Turn: 5%, River: 0%)

BU shows A A (two pair, Aces and Sixes)
(Equity - Pre-Flop: 81%, Flop: 70%, Turn: 2%, River: 0%)

SB shows 6 A (three of a kind, Sixes)
(Equity - Pre-Flop: 6%, Flop: 9%, Turn: 93%, River: 100%)

BU wins 3,938
SB wins 1,653

5pAce_C0wb0y

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
My first question is what is his 3bet stat? This will give a better indication of his range than pfr.

B

Brawo

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
At the beginning, I think opening with KQo is correct here.You open to 3BB, and Villain moved 3-bet, little 3-bet, all-in from SB is irrelevant, because even Villain folded, you have to call, pot odds are too good. Pre-flop call is right too. You can not fold with pot odds 240 to 1651 it would be ridiculous.
More important is action post-flop. You have top pair with quite strong kicker.
Check on the flop is correct in my opinion, most of the time you are the best now, but, opponent will bet around 60% of pot hmm, If he want eliminate short stack without you he would made 3-bet [bigger] / all-in pre flop I think. Flop is safe, without flush draw or straight draw, what is he betting with? only set in my opinion, over pair --> aces? You told he rarely makes 3-bet, but have you seen hands then?
Difficult spot, in his range is AK, top pair and better kicker than yours.
There is sth else, you had to pay 1080 to 5600 it is 1:5, and you should note than after your call you had 22% chance to win, more than 1:5 so from the mathematical side it was correct decision, but it is pot commit and If I were you I would play the same way, shove all-in and watch what happen next.

Last edited:
Matt Vaughan

Matt Vaughan

King of Moody Rants
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Preflop, why are we opening to 3x when we only have about 20bb? I just don't see this as an efficient opening size for any part of our range really. I'd be defaulting to 2-2.2x.

Once we get 3bet... this is an annoying spot. On the one hand, it's a min 3bet, we get a great price, and there's still some money behind.

On the other hand, our holding is fairly weak vs a 3bet range, there's another player all in which means we'll struggle to over-realize our equity here. And at the end of the day, just because it's a min 3bet doesn't mean we should be going with it here. I understand the call, but I'm really not too happy about it.

When the flop comes down, there's just no way in hell that we're ever NOT stacking off here. It sucks because BTN really isn't too incentivized to bluff here into a dry-ish side pot, but our hand is just a bit too near the top of our range to fold (given we stack off preflop with most stronger holdings).

zekubiki

zekubiki

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
you made the call a 3-bet with a dominated hand out of position. the main mistake - is the call preflop. it's an easy fold.

vuk011

vuk011

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Preflop fold.. easy. Only an opinion. A great game from the button, he did not want to push you out before the flop.
1. out of position
2. KQo is marginal hand vs 3bet range.

Ronaldo7

Ronaldo7

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You have to pay small 3 bet preflop and after hitting top pair no way to fold... Just bad luck for me.

Ronaldo7

Ronaldo7

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
you made the call a 3-bet with a dominated hand out of position. the main mistake - is the call preflop. it's an easy fold.
Easy fold?? You need to pay 240 in pot of 1.5+k with any two... And everything else is just bad luck..

S

skeptix

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you're going to call preflop, you can't get away from this hand on the flop. Folding preflop is fine.