$3.30 PLO8 MTT: SHOVING WITH THE LOW HAND

Jdjakubisin

Jdjakubisin

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I didn't copy down the starting stacks, as they are irrelevant to the conversation...

I've got an afterthought here that says "don't auto-shove early w/ 2 or more opponents, wait until you are in late or just check call."

I'm dealt in the SB: Jh-3h-2d-6s
Blinds 40/80

UTG+2 calls BB
UTG+3 calls BB
DEALER calls BB
SB(me) calls BB
BB checks

Flop: 6d, 10c, 7c

ALL CHECKS

Turn: (6d, 10c, 7c) Ac

SB(me) Raise POT (400)
+2 calls 400
+3 calls 400
DEALER folds

River: Kd

SB(me) Raise POT (1600)

+2 calls 1600
+3 calls 1600

The pot is now 6400, and I have to take a 25% split= 1600 after committing 2080 and sharing the low hand with UTG+3 and UTG+2 took the high.

My afterthoughts are...
1) Should I have just checked the turn, I may have reduced the hit the 25% split left me with.
2) If someone would have raised instead of me, I would have paid the same price for the odds I accepted.
3) With no 2bets, I am almost assured one of those guys are calling with the low, if not both and one of them with the high as well.

Let's get some PLO hand analysis posts going... It's so much crazier than the regular NLTH posts...

Last edited:
eetenor

eetenor

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I didn't copy down the starting stacks, as they are irrelevant to the conversation...

I've got an afterthought here that says "don't auto-shove early w/ 2 or more opponents, wait until you are in late or just check call."

I'm dealt in the SB: Jh-3h-2d-6s
Blinds 40/80

UTG+2 calls BB
UTG+3 calls BB
DEALER calls BB
SB(me) calls BB
BB checks

Flop: 6d, 10c, 7c

ALL CHECKS

Turn: (6d, 10c, 7c) Ac

SB(me) Raise POT (400)
+2 calls 400
+3 calls 400
DEALER folds

River: Kd

SB(me) Raise POT (1600)

+2 calls 1600
+3 calls 1600

The pot is now 6400, and I have to take a 25% split= 1600 after committing 2080 and sharing the low hand with UTG+3 and UTG+2 took the high.

My afterthoughts are...
1) Should I have just checked the turn, I may have reduced the hit the 25% split left me with.
2) If someone would have raised instead of me, I would have paid the same price for the odds I accepted.
3) With no 2bets, I am almost assured one of those guys are calling with the low, if not both and one of them with the high as well.

Let's get some PLO hand analysis posts going... It's so much crazier than the regular NLTH posts...

Thank U 4 Posting

Your actual actions were correct vs V's that know PLO8. The other low with no high has to fold when you pot river if they play well.

However, you are in a game where the other V's do not fold properly so you cannot pot- pot low only or you get this result.

The hardest part of this is you should pot turn -check river and fold to a pot size bet. It seems crazy but your read of one other low calling your pot turn is usually correct.

If possible while playing, taking notes of the side cards for each of the 2 villains is the most important. It is those cards that let us know just how bad our villains truly are at PLO8.
It will tell us how passive they are, how little they know about a 2 way game and how little they know about using Pot size bets and position in PLO8.

We can then structure our play in a way in which we do not quarter ourselves. Mostly it means over folding rather than betting or calling. Again your pot turn bet was a better play than check calling pot, but when the worst for you happens 2 callers, we have to shut down.

In this type of PLO8 (loose callers) we seldom get to scoop for stacks vs 1 player so we cannot lose several medium size pots then get it all back in one hand often enough to call a river pot bet vs 2 on this board.

Hope this helps
:):)

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands