$3.30 NLHE MTT: Should I ever be folding premiums to jams?

B

Brain Gainz

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
This is a situation I find myself in a lot. I'm I'm pretty deep into a tournament, have a decent sized stack, and someone shoves into me. In this case he had ~ 24/15 VPIP/PFR, so I knew he wasn't a complete nit. But even then, it's just so hard to lay down hands like this.

So my question is, are there times when you lay down hands like 99-QQ or AK/AQ from jams? Does it come down to realizing that best case scenario I'm flipping and being patient enough to find a better spot? I'm not sure. I don't want to be results oriented and start folding these hands just because I've been losing with a lot of them lately, but I do want to look at these spots and see if there's something I can do differently moving forward.

Yatahay Network - 300/600 NL - Holdem - 9 players
Hand converted by PokerTracker 4

UTG+1: 19.2 BB
MP: 31.21 BB
MP+1: 81.61 BB
MP+2: 51.62 BB
CO: 23.36 BB
BTN: 23.34 BB
SB: 40.75 BB
BB: 84.12 BB
Hero (UTG): 56.37 BB

9 players post ante of 0.13 BB, SB posts SB 0.5 BB, BB posts BB 1 BB

Pre Flop: (pot: 2.62 BB) Hero has J J

Hero raises to 2 BB, fold, fold, MP+1 calls 2 BB, MP+2 calls 2 BB, fold, fold, SB raises to 40.62 BB and is all-in, fold, Hero raises to 56.25 BB and is all-in, fold, fold

Flop: (87.37 BB, 2 players) K 7 K

Turn: (87.37 BB, 2 players) K

River: (87.37 BB, 2 players) 6

SB shows A K (Four of a Kind, Kings)
(Pre 44%, Flop 93%, Turn 100%)
Hero shows J J (Full House, Kings full of Jacks)
(Pre 56%, Flop 7%, Turn 0%)
SB wins 87.37 BB

There's another example from today where I called off with QQ and he had AA, but it knocked me out so the table closed and the hand didn't register in PT4 for some reason.

Any feedback is appreciated! Thanks!

A

atcj13

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
For 40 bb's with this action I don't think I am calling anything less than QQ. Most people at these stakes are probably doing this with JJ+ and AK, sometimes maybe 1010 or AQ. I don't think we are doing well enough against that range to make this call profitably with less than QQ. He doesn't have lunatic stats that would lead you to believe he is doing this light.

EvertonGirl

EvertonGirl

Professional Fish
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
I would be folding JJ here.

If I had enough reads and he has never shown to 3bing light then I would only be calling with KK+, if I have only seen him 3bet once, then I would be calling with QQ+

As mentioned he doesn't seem to be a light 3better, and as he jammed against an EP raise, I would give have given him credit and folded the Jacks.

D

D_godfather

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Good question as I am seeing this frequently at those stakes too. Sometimes they have A rag and with small sample size the stats can take too much prominence. With a decent stack waiting seems like it can’t be wrong most of the time. If I see AQ or 99 I take a note.

Folding in Poker