$3.30 NLHE MTT: Could I have played this better? (C-bet and jammed turn with 99)

B

Brain Gainz

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Seemed like a great spot until he called. Then I was drawing to a spade and unfortunately it didn't come. I guess I really didn't see JTs being in his range for calling 3bets from MP. I'm trying to think of what I could have done differently. Maybe check the turn and try to get to showdown cheap? Not sure. Any advice is much appreciated!

Yatahay Network - 200/400 NL - Holdem - 7 players
Hand converted by PokerTracker 4

CO: 29.26 BB
BTN: 130.27 BB
SB: 46.72 BB
Hero (BB): 55.44 BB
UTG: 48.29 BB
UTG+1: 40.8 BB
MP: 118.7 BB

7 players post ante of 0.12 BB, SB posts SB 0.5 BB, Hero posts BB 1 BB

Pre Flop: (pot: 2.34 BB) Hero has 9 9

fold, fold, MP raises to 2.25 BB, fold, fold, fold, Hero raises to 6.75 BB, MP calls 4.5 BB

Flop: (14.84 BB, 2 players) 8 4 7
Hero bets 10.63 BB, MP calls 10.63 BB

Turn: (36.1 BB, 2 players) T
Hero bets 37.94 BB and is all-in, MP calls 37.94 BB

River: (111.97 BB, 2 players) 5

Hero shows 9 9 (One Pair, Nines)
(Pre 51%, Flop 73%, Turn 32%)
MP shows J T (One Pair, Tens)
(Pre 49%, Flop 27%, Turn 68%)
MP wins 111.97 BB

300HPGOD

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Pre flop I think your idea for 3 betting is fine although I think if you are going to go that route you need to make the 3 bet larger as we really dont want him to call here. Most of the flops we see will have one overcard if not more. A 3 bet to 8-9 BB I think would be better. I also think calling is just fine as we can play the hand to set mine and see a relatively cheap flop. Plus we do not have to be flop dependent as we can float depending on his sizing. Yes, that is playing passively but it is a route we can take if we chose.

We hit a good flop and leading here is obviously what we want to do but I personally don't like the sizing. That's just me and others may say its just fine. I would have gone something a little smaller like half pot. This way it actually gives us more options on future streets. If we bet 70% pot on the flop then we usually have to keep going or it will look like a stab at the pot depending on how good your opponent is. I also believe that the sizing of 70% compared to 50% will not get any more folds and with the opponent raising and calling our 3 bet its very safe to say they have a bigger pair than us right now or at least 2 overcards so they are probably going nowhere. The turn bet is where you will find out what they really have. When you go large on the flop though you will usually have to go large on the turn (or at least you couldnt go like 1/3rd pot imo) and this is going to make you at least come close to being committed. Smaller flop bet will enable you to smaller turn bet and you can avoid committing yourself.

The turn on face value to me is a good card. Yes it is an over card but better than an Ace or a king. I think you have to bet here and as played I am not sure there are many sizes that make a ton of sense as you are just over a pot sized bet left. We did 3 be pre and we can rep QQ+ so I do think its a jam as played. Otherwise you are betting smaller but you would be committed anyway with 9s on a 10 high board. Again I think if you bet half on the flop you could be 40% here and it would look like a value play.

B

Brain Gainz

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Pre flop I think your idea for 3 betting is fine although I think if you are going to go that route you need to make the 3 bet larger as we really dont want him to call here. Most of the flops we see will have one overcard if not more. A 3 bet to 8-9 BB I think would be better. I also think calling is just fine as we can play the hand to set mine and see a relatively cheap flop. Plus we do not have to be flop dependent as we can float depending on his sizing. Yes, that is playing passively but it is a route we can take if we chose.

I see your point and I agree. I think if I would have gone 8-9BBs I probably could have gotten a fold.

We hit a good flop and leading here is obviously what we want to do but I personally don't like the sizing. That's just me and others may say its just fine. I would have gone something a little smaller like half pot. This way it actually gives us more options on future streets. If we bet 70% pot on the flop then we usually have to keep going or it will look like a stab at the pot depending on how good your opponent is. I also believe that the sizing of 70% compared to 50% will not get any more folds and with the opponent raising and calling our 3 bet its very safe to say they have a bigger pair than us right now or at least 2 overcards so they are probably going nowhere. The turn bet is where you will find out what they really have. When you go large on the flop though you will usually have to go large on the turn (or at least you couldnt go like 1/3rd pot imo) and this is going to make you at least come close to being committed. Smaller flop bet will enable you to smaller turn bet and you can avoid committing yourself.

My reasoning for betting so big on the flop is that I wanted to give him a really bad price to call and chase a flush or straight draw. Obviously it didn't work, so maybe in the future it is a better idea to just go smaller so I don't end up going broke like I did here.

The turn on face value to me is a good card. Yes it is an over card but better than an Ace or a king. I think you have to bet here and as played I am not sure there are many sizes that make a ton of sense as you are just over a pot sized bet left. We did 3 be pre and we can rep QQ+ so I do think its a jam as played. Otherwise you are betting smaller but you would be committed anyway with 9s on a 10 high board. Again I think if you bet half on the flop you could be 40% here and it would look like a value play.

Yeah I thought it was a good card as well. I didn't see too many 10s being in his range. It also gave me outs to a straight and flush. Since I only had a pot size left and really didn't want to see an overcard come off on the river, I thought it made the most sense to jam. If I could go back I would probably bet closer to 1/3 pot on the flop then maybe 1/3 again on the turn? I think that's still almost putting me at being pot committed by the river though.

Thanks for the feedback!

A

atcj13

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The only thing I don't like about the way you played this hand is your sizing pre. We will be out of position post flop, so I would be raising to around 8. I like the bigger bet on the flop as it allows us to get it in on favorable turns. This is actually a really good turn for our hand. We are now open ended with a flush draw and against two pairs or sets we also have our set outs.
Plus if he is calling off the turn bet with J10 here, we are making a ton with our sets, flushes and JJ+.

jaworek1405

jaworek1405

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hello, I prefer defending big blind with 99 to hit a set, because we are OOP and it is hard to play 99 OOP. Besides often on the flop will come at least one over card and we can some problem with playing 99 and one over card on the flop. As played - If you want 3 bet with 99 OOP you should play bigger 3bet pre flop, because of two reasons. First reason is that we play OOP and second reason is that opponent has over 100 bb in stack. He is very deep and players on deep stacks often call 3bet pre flop with medium hand, like in this situation. So pre flop I prefer bigger raise at least 9-10bb. When you 3bet pre flop from the big blind you have to continue aggression even when on the flop came one or two over cards. I play this hand differently than hero. I don't want to risk too often all chips with one over card on the board. I try to avoid this situations during game because this is risky move. So I prefer smaller bets on the flop and on the turn for about 50% of the pot. On the river hard decision for hero. I think that we can play check on the river and give up our hand, because opponent usually will have something. Hand like 8x and two over cards should fold after bets on the flop and on the turn. So very possible that he has Tx hand. GL :)