$3.30 NLHE MTT Bounty: $3,30 NLHE MTT Bounty: $3,30 NLHE MTT Bounty: Was this to aggresive or just stupid

bhuelse

bhuelse

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
$3.30 NLHE MTT Bounty: $3,30 NLHE MTT Bounty: $3,30 NLHE MTT Bounty: Was this to aggresive or just stupid

Hi,

I am just get busted in a bountybuilder MTT. It was really early. I thought the opponent has just a draw. The hand before he was aggresive, too, but shows nothing.

But in the end I think it was stupid from my side. :(

https://www.boomplayer.com/29125758_25B4612ACD

Should I fold at the turn?

regards
Boris

puzzlefish

puzzlefish

🙉 🙈 🙊 student of the donk arts
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Meh. He cold called his set on you. It happens. The question for you will be how often will you fold on a polarizing turn bet when you have an over pair. He could play any set, any two pair, any pair beating yours (KK, AA), or just air to spook you. I say you could find a fold on the turn this early in play, but you will have to call sometimes.

bhuelse

bhuelse

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hmm its a a bounty tournament, so its a bit more aggresive then normal mtts. But after thinking about this hand, I should fold at turn, because it was to early. Maybe call such hands later in tournament, when I have more informations abut the opponent.

liuouhgkres

liuouhgkres

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
KH
Chips
Preflop-fine.
On the flop you normally should bet smaller size, by betting this big you are making villains fold a lot of hands that they could call if you bet on a smaller size. Especially with QQ, since you block QJ. But, this is a 3$ tournament, and players are paying your bets off, so going big is not actually a mistake.

On the turn we have same thought process, but now we also need to think what we are going to do if villain goes all in. Since sometimes we will play bet fold here, we can not go so big. This is your biggest mistake here, you bet too big on turn, practically leaving no choice for yourself when he re-raised you. You should go less than half pot here, around 40% and I believe with queens you should fold to re-raise, because you block QJ bluffs. As played though, when you bet so big, you can't fold.

Matt Vaughan

Matt Vaughan

King of Moody Rants
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think this response is spot on:
Preflop-fine.
On the flop you normally should bet smaller size, by betting this big you are making villains fold a lot of hands that they could call if you bet on a smaller size. Especially with QQ, since you block QJ. But, this is a 3$ tournament, and players are paying your bets off, so going big is not actually a mistake.

On the turn we have same thought process, but now we also need to think what we are going to do if villain goes all in. Since sometimes we will play bet fold here, we can not go so big. This is your biggest mistake here, you bet too big on turn, practically leaving no choice for yourself when he re-raised you. You should go less than half pot here, around 40% and I believe with queens you should fold to re-raise, because you block QJ bluffs. As played though, when you bet so big, you can't fold.

I'd just add that player reads at this point can make or break you. In the micros there's a HUGE range of player skill. Generally there are no "killers" who are super skilled opponents, but there will be reasonably tough, balanced players out there. And then there are total droolers at the other end of the spectrum, and sometimes there are opponents where it'd be crazy to fold at any point vs them.

So knowing nothing, I agree with liu that we should be betting smaller in general for the most part, and most likely finding a way to fold to this turn aggression in a 3bet pot if at all possible. But with this sizing, pretty much impossible.

K

kelvin22

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Think "pre-flop"

I think the answer to your question lies in the pre-flop play. U got a 3bet raise by some mid-pos, and as any of us would do with QQ in the button, you re-raised 3times. But then again your bet was called by the BB, which couldn't call a 9bet in that pos with just (A)high, so it has to/could be a pocket pair. The bad luck is that the nor flop nor the turn, produced a card higher than your pocket QQ's. Plus the BB checked, and a higher pair than what the flop produced, will raise there. I assume you wanted to fold him because you thought he had a draw, but the pre-flop call wouldn't indicate (to me at least) that he called a 9bet from BB with QJ or 78. Best thing to do there is make a small bet on the flop, see how he reacts. Usually, set holders respond with aggression to small bets because they want you to go allin and he checked in order to mislead you (which is something we would all do). His intuition most likely tells him your holding a pocket pair as well. A re-raise from him in this case, could also indicate a bluff, or you could just put him on AT, but the pre-flop play kinda eliminates those 2 options. Then again it's hard to fold the queens, especially on that turn and you holding an overpair. But you made a pretty big raise and he put you allin. That early in a tournament (especially bounty builders), you don't go allin unless your 99% sure you have a winning hand (not that things couldn't change on the river). As a matter of gameplay, the set holder played it perfectly and he baited you (which you fell for). Any A or K would have made you think twice about calling, but none came out. Still, it's the allin that should have tipped you. The amount you raised indicated you were prepared to pay it, and the re-raise should have told you that the opponent has no fear of whatever chips you have left. The turn, was definitely a fold after the re-raise. Checking the flop could have resulted in you seeing the opponents hand, but its very unlikely. He would have went allin on the river. Man... there are really so many ways you can think of this hand, and you can plot a good play and/or bluff, but all the science in the world, can't help you against luck. We've all been there.

Ryan Laplante

Ryan Laplante

CardsChat Pro
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think you played the hand perfectly.

If villain jams turn with only JJ or TT or 99, half the time you are ahead, half the time they are.

Thats all you need to be very profitable!

Vilgeoforc

Vilgeoforc

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
This is one of the most difficult moments. I've lost my stack many times in a similar situation. On the turn, the bet is too big, it does not leave you a chance to reset. I think against this rival the return check on a turn is possible. The stack is deep enough to fold on the river if your opponent goes all-in. But it's easy in theory, if I were you, maybe I didn't fold myself.

O

oreleo

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
On the flop and turn, the beat is too big.

Luan

Luan

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
in this situation you have raised very low at least a 5BB ratio relevant to the amount of the increase of the opponent who paid first. to be able to expel the TT value of the pre-flop hand because the raise was with AQ or AJ and he would pay most of the time!

M

Mr_Nuisance

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You played this hand as good as it could be played. The way the villain played it does not give much alert to saying that he could have a set in this situation, but him cold calling your preflop 3bet and your postflop bet could make me a little suspicious. Personally, I might have just checked back the turn instead of betting, because if I get 3bet in that situation, I feel like it would put me in a very awkward spot even though I have a pocket pair higher than the board. But like others have said, either play would be a smart move in this situation!

T

tmfnsanders

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Preflop-fine.

This is pretty good.
Your preflop sizing is great.
Flop is a little high, but there's still 2 opponents in the hand so I guess it's ok
Turn I think I like a check back since there aren't many scare cards and let him lead river
River just pretty much call anything or make a thin value bet if he checks

I don't think this would really change the results much with his particular holding, but it does keep his entire range in the mix and give him the opportunity to bluff some missed draws on the river.

I just don't think trying to get stacks in 163bb deep this early in the tourney is a great plan. Do we really need to go for 3 streets of value here?

Bluffzone68

Bluffzone68

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BZ
Chips
Hello

To me this hand was played perfectly by you, and was played brilliantly by your villian.

There was no way you could have escaped that play.

Assuming you went all in, the villian would surely have called you.

So according to me just not get worked up with that hand.

V

Veritas

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Always hard to put V on a set and fold when you hold an overpair like QQ KK AA....
it's just a cooler i guess. in a 3$ Bounty builder i think it's fine to get it in

I wouldn't mind to check back the turn because the Cold called 3bet should be valued here. TT 99 JJ all in his range
as played i think you can't fold to his shove on a bricked turn....
unlucky