$3.30 NLHE MTT: $3 NLHE MTT: Flopped Set of 6s on A6x(2spades) Flop, Turn A Question

H

HerbPuffer

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
$3.30 NLHE MTT: $3 NLHE MTT: Flopped Set of 6s on A6x(2spades) Flop, Turn A Question

Just started playing BCP a few days ago so no hands or notes on anyone. This is the $3 $3K PKO. Only have 8 hands on V, 25/0 vpip/pfr,

Just wanna check the line. I think once he hits the trips he doesn't fold. Bigger raise on the flop? Betting turn ends the same way I think, just one street sooner, and I'm ahead at that time so at least I can say I got my money in good.haha.

Thanks in Advance,

HP

Yatahay Network - 3000/6000 NL - Holdem - 9 players
Hand converted by Holdem Manager 3

MP+1: 249,375 (41.6 bb)
Hero (MP+2): 280,986 (46.8 bb)
CO: 440,570 (73.4 bb)
BTN: 436,445 (72.7 bb)
SB: 340,644 (56.8 bb)
BB: 731,245 (121.9 bb)
UTG: 282,000 (47 bb)
UTG+1: 251,000 (41.8 bb)
MP: 249,375 (41.6 bb)

9 players post ante of 750, SB posts 3,000, BB posts 6,000

Pre Flop: (pot: 15,750) Hero has :9s4: :9h4:
4 folds, Hero raises to 13,579, 2 folds, SB calls 10,579, BB calls 7,579

Flop: (47,487, 3 players) :as4: :2s4: :9d4:
SB checks, BB bets 9,000, Hero raises to 29,999, fold, BB calls 20,999

Turn: (107,485, 2 players) :ad4:
BB checks, Hero checks

River: (107,485, 2 players) :6c4:
BB bets 80,614, Hero raises to 199,999, BB raises to 319,384, Hero calls 36,659 and is all-in

Results: 580,801 pot (0 rake)
Final Board: :as4: :2s4: :9d4: :ad4: :6c4:

Hero shows :9s4: :9h4:: (Full House, Nines full of Aces)
(Pre 71%, Flop 99%, Turn 84%)

BB shows :6d4: :ah4:: (Full House, Aces full of Sixes)
(Pre 29%, Flop 1%, Turn 16%)

BB wins 580,801

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Preflop
Standard open, standard result.

Flop
Yes you need to raise bigger. If he is bad enough to donk lead for 9k into a pot of 47k with a hand like A6, then he is also bad enough to pay more than just 20k to see the next card. Just keep the amount, which you raise to, smaller than the pot for psycological reasons. I would probably go to around 40k setting it up for an easy river jam on good runouts.

Turn
I dont understand this check back? Top pair is now trips and will never fold, and while you dont want his spades to fold, you can keep them in by sizing down a little bit. I typically bet half pot in a spot like this. Very few people can fold a 9 out draw on the turn for half pot, even on a paired board.

River
You trap worked, great! Now you need to get it in. Leaving yourself 6BB behind is missing out on heaps of value, and is another pretty big mistake.

Results
Just a standard cooler. Whenever your boat runs into a better boat, you are usually going to go broke. But so is the opponent, when the roles are reversed, so in the long run its just a wash. Also if he can have A6 or A2, he can also have A3, A4, A5, A7, A8, and all those hands are going to be played the same way. So stacking off your boat is still printing value in the long run.

H

HerbPuffer

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Preflop

Flop
Yes you need to raise bigger. If he is bad enough to donk lead for 9k into a pot of 47k with a hand like A6, then he is also bad enough to pay more than just 20k to see the next card. Just keep the amount, which you raise to, smaller than the pot for psycological reasons. I would probably go to around 40k setting it up for an easy river jam on good runouts.

Turn
I dont understand this check back? Top pair is now trips and will never fold, and while you dont want his spades to fold, you can keep them in by sizing down a little bit. I typically bet half pot in a spot like this. Very few people can fold a 9 out draw on the turn for half pot, even on a paired board.

River
You trap worked, great! Now you need to get it in. Leaving yourself 6BB behind is missing out on heaps of value, and is another pretty big mistake.

Results
Just a standard cooler. Whenever your boat runs into a better boat, you are usually going to go broke. But so is the opponent, when the roles are reversed, so in the long run its just a wash. Also if he can have A6 or A2, he can also have A3, A4, A5, A7, A8, and all those hands are going to be played the same way. So stacking off your boat is still printing value in the long run.

Thanks much, sir. As always your thoughts are GREATLY appreciated. And thanks for not commenting on it being 9s and not 6s. I must have been lying upside down trying to calm down after the hand.haha.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Thanks much, sir. As always your thoughts are GREATLY appreciated. And thanks for not commenting on it being 9s and not 6s. I must have been lying upside down trying to calm down after the hand.haha.

It is a pretty sick one for sure. He had 1% equity on the flop but hit his perfect runner-runner. Well such is poker sometimes :)

H

HerbPuffer

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It is a pretty sick one for sure. He had 1% equity on the flop but hit his perfect runner-runner. Well such is poker sometimes :)

So very true. Hopefully all the bad variance is all gone n tons of ruin good is out there goot me tomorrow. N definitely still remembering to bet those turns in that situation. Any A is never holding there which I'm happy about but also, like you said, for 1/3 to 2/5 pot will also still keep my flush draws in.

Mutch Appreciated,

HP

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Exactly. If you bet like 40k on the turn and then jam the river when checked to, he is never going to fold trips, at least not when the draws missed. He will convince himself, you are bluffing, and make the hero call. Its even possible, he will misinterpret a small turn bet as weak and check-raise, in which case you can get all the chips in on the turn.

300HPGOD

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
This is a cooler obviously that you should be only mad about losing since it is a bad beat. However there is a big takeaway from this hand for you going forward. When you hit a big hand like you have on the flop you should already have your wheels turning as to the best way to get all my chips in by the river. The best way may be to raise large on the flop to get it in maybe even on the turn or the best way may be to get it in on the river (this will usually be villain dependent). The point is that once you flop that big hand you should start to plan the hand.

I am not sure if you did or did not do this but this point is why it is so important that you bet on the turn here. Without a bet on the turn the only way we can get our chips in without an overbet is for the villain to lead. We can rarely count on that happening (even though it happened in this case) so it is imperative to make a bet on the turn here to setup the river shove. Also the Ace is probably one of the best cards for you since villain easily can have Ax and now we know they wont be folding to the turn bet. Checking the turn was a big mistake, not for protection by any means but for being able to ensure a river shove that is less than pot.

The rest of the hand I thought you played well other than the turn. I like the raise on the flop in this spot (sizing I think is okay but definitely would not go smaller than you went) and the river is an easy call after you made the correct raise to their lead. I will say though that when they lead as they did here I think it is better to just jam it instead of leaving some of our chips behind. There will be times when villain just calls this bet with worse and they would have called a jam also and you are missing some value.

H

HerbPuffer

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This is a cooler obviously that you should be only mad about losing since it is a bad beat. However there is a big takeaway from this hand for you going forward. When you hit a big hand like you have on the flop you should already have your wheels turning as to the best way to get all my chips in by the river. The best way may be to raise large on the flop to get it in maybe even on the turn or the best way may be to get it in on the river (this will usually be villain dependent). The point is that once you flop that big hand you should start to plan the hand.

I am not sure if you did or did not do this but this point is why it is so important that you bet on the turn here. Without a bet on the turn the only way we can get our chips in without an overbet is for the villain to lead. We can rarely count on that happening (even though it happened in this case) so it is imperative to make a bet on the turn here to setup the river shove. Also the Ace is probably one of the best cards for you since villain easily can have Ax and now we know they wont be folding to the turn bet. Checking the turn was a big mistake, not for protection by any means but for being able to ensure a river shove that is less than pot.

The rest of the hand I thought you played well other than the turn. I like the raise on the flop in this spot (sizing I think is okay but definitely would not go smaller than you went) and the river is an easy call after you made the correct raise to their lead. I will say though that when they lead as they did here I think it is better to just jam it instead of leaving some of our chips behind. There will be times when villain just calls this bet with worse and they would have called a jam also and you are missing some value.

Thank you much, 300, and duly noted. You aren't the first to say about betting turn, but I think the first to mention that betting turn gets me to a regular-sized river jam which makes perfect sense as well.

I appreciate you stopping by and giving me some input.

-HP

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Just want to add, that this idea of hand planning and setting it up for an easy river shove is also why, I prefer a slightly larger flop raise. If there were less chips behind, then the small raise is fine, because its still easy to get it in on the last two streets. Even without the donk bet I would still pick a large sizing on the flop. The goal here is to stack AX and get a lot of value from flushdraws on the flop and turn. If they have a hand like QcJh or 4s4d, we are not going to extract much anyway, so there is no point in betting small to keep those hands in.

jaworek1405

jaworek1405

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hello, I agree with guys and I also think that you should bet for value on the turn. Check on the turn it is a little risky move and it is a very small mistake. IMO your raise 3x on the flop looks good, you can raise a little more about 4x, because of flushdraw and very deep stack on your opponent. If opponent play call your raise on the flop it is very possible that he has Ax on a hand. On the river - I probably play like hero with full house, because if opponent has three of a kind he probably never fold this hand and often we will win this hand. It was cooler situation and you can nothing to do on the river. GL :)

S

Sidetracked

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You got very unlucky, but should have never checked the turn. Trip Aces is exactly the hand that you want him to have, and that is the time to get his stack.

Jon Poker

Jon Poker

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Preflop

Flop

Turn

River

Results

It can't be said much better than this. Great explanation and I second everything mentioned here. Pretty spot on

Viparida

Viparida

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

Unfortunately, it happens. He had less than 5% but it turned, it`s part of the game.