$3.3 NLHE MTT Bounty: Hero fold of KK on the river

Mmurilove

Mmurilove

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Good morning everyone, this is the first hand I post here in the forum for analysis, I hope everything is ok. The information about the villains and my doubts are just below the description of the hand.

partypoker, $3.30 + $0 - Hold'em No Limit - 300/600 (75 ante) - 8 players
Replay this hand on Upswing Poker

donky666 (UTG): 45,393 (76 bb)
RedSalamander (UTG+1): 15,825 (26 bb)
Courtice67 (MP): 88,044 (147 bb)
e1adacos (MP+1): 52,785 (88 bb)
s.coe (CO): 102,485 (171 bb)
Mmurilove (BU): 42,055 (70 bb)
kapkan07 (SB): 92,402 (154 bb)
IceGoleM (BB): 61,011 (102 bb)

Pre-Flop: (1,500) Hero (Mmurilove) is BTN with K K
donky666 (UTG) calls 600, 4 players fold, Mmurilove (BU) raises to 2,000, kapkan07 (SB) calls 1,700, 1 fold, donky666 (UTG) calls 1,400

Flop: (7,200) 7 9 T (3 players)
kapkan07 (SB) checks, donky666 (UTG) checks, Mmurilove (BU) bets 4,752, kapkan07 (SB) calls 4,752, donky666 (UTG) folds

Turn: (16,704) 8 (2 players)
kapkan07 (SB) checks, Mmurilove (BU) checks

River: (16,704) K (2 players)
kapkan07 (SB) bets 12,852, Mmurilove (BU) folds

Total pot: 16,704
kapkan07 (SB) wins 16,704
The information is:
- The villain who gave open limp is fish (44/11 - VPIP / PFR)
- The SB is very loose and aggressive (60/44), including pos-flop

I would like to hear from you:
PF: Ok the bet size to insulate the fish?
Flop: I cbet aiming to charge for flush/straighs draws and pairs in addition to protecting my hand. Is this right?
Turn: As the board completed a sequence I check behind to keep the pot small to play check / call on some rivers. What do you think of this? Should I continued to bet?
River: Although I hit a three of a kind with K, he also completed an eventual flush. As the bet was very high I opted for the fold to keep me healthy in the tournament. Do you think I was too tight?

Dejange

Dejange

CC Delija
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BG
Chips
First of all, thanks for posting such interesting hand :top:

I am not a poker guru, but could not resist to give my thoughts on it :)

PF: Ok the bet size to insulate the fish? Perfect: 3,25-3,50 BB's raise PF!
Flop: I cbet aiming to charge for flush/straighs draws and pairs in addition to protecting my hand. Is this right? Again perfect for me!
Turn: As the board completed a sequence I check behind to keep the pot small to play check / call on some rivers. What do you think of this? Should I continued to bet? I would rather give my pocket pair a chance and continuation betting further ...
River: Although I hit a three of a kind with K, he also completed an eventual flush. As the bet was very high I opted for the fold to keep me healthy in the tournament. Do you think I was too tight? Reaching at this point, your fold is really tight, and possibly correct as not much hands in opponent's range you could beat. But still early in the tournament, you could overcome this :top:

Ryan Laplante

Ryan Laplante

CardsChat Pro
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Pre: Larger! We want value, and EP limps rarely fold to raise. Can at least go 4x, but many fish likely call 5x or 6x.

Id cbet a bit larger on flop, but rest of hand looks good.

Good disciplined fold on river.

Passive players showing large aggression = usually large hand

Flight777sem

Flight777sem

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Considering utg comes limping you could bet definitely bigger preflop,( pot is already 2100) i would go over pot and around 2500, something between 4x 5x. They are still getting great price to call as 1900 for 4600 pot so probably utg would still call and maybe you could insulate sb. Except than that you played it good, sometimes we gotta make discipline lay downs.

Matt Vaughan

Matt Vaughan

King of Moody Rants
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Pre: Larger! We want value, and EP limps rarely fold to raise. Can at least go 4x, but many fish likely call 5x or 6x.

Id cbet a bit larger on flop, but rest of hand looks good.

Good disciplined fold on river.

Passive players showing large aggression = usually large hand

I agree with this sentiment, although it has not been my experience that we get called too often on 5-6x opens even vs EP limps.

Totally agree on the rest. The river is ultimately is such a bad range card for us (bc it completes so many hands that weren't already there by the turn for our villain) that the fact we improved is basically irrelevant. Our absolute hand strength improved, but our relative hand strength actually decreased bc we moved much further down the ranks vs hands in our opponent's range.

Very nice fold imo. Nice hand.

F

FernandPoker

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
As I'm probably not as good as you, I can just say that this was a sick hand. Thanks for posting it.

I would've probable done the same. I'm almost sure he had that straight, and was not bluffing. But maybe he was, that would've been a nice move, with a hand like AsXs ? Wanted to semi-bluff and represent a straight in case he wouldn't see any spade on turn or river ? Anyway, these pots really help me :D

Mmurilove

Mmurilove

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Thanks to all who responded! I really should have made a larger preflop bet size, but the good thing is that the next time I see an EP limp I already know how to act.

As I'm probably not as good as you, I can just say that this was a sick hand. Thanks for posting it.

I would've probable done the same. I'm almost sure he had that straight, and was not bluffing. But maybe he was, that would've been a nice move, with a hand like AsXs ? Wanted to semi-bluff and represent a straight in case he wouldn't see any spade on turn or river ? Anyway, these pots really help me :D

His thinking makes sense, I believe he really could have played like that with a hand like ATs, however there are not a lot of bluff combos, just taking AcTc and AdTd, since AsTs would be worth and Th is on the board.
So his range would continue with many more hands of value than bluff, but if that was the hand of the villain he played very well, I probably would never be able to pay on that spot.

L

Lexgrof024

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks to all who responded! I really should have made a larger preflop bet size, but the good thing is that the next time I see an EP limp I already know how to act.

His thinking makes sense, I believe he really could have played like that with a hand like ATs, however there are not a lot of bluff combos, just taking AcTc and AdTd, since AsTs would be worth and Th is on the board.
So his range would continue with many more hands of value than bluff, but if that was the hand of the villain he played very well, I probably would never be able to pay on that spot.
Or maybe even consider all in preflop or postflop? Better preflop :) I think you would have beaten any hand that would call the preflop all-in..

TheRealPage

TheRealPage

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Tricky I admit, but I think your set was winner!

Just with the basic... called preflop, check-called the flop, checked the turn (probably for a check-call or worst a check-raise) then betting first on the river after a flush draw... he was protecting something.. big.. I think... like Jacks maybe or Queens

Maybe the check at the turn made him believe you were running for the flush.. that's why he moved first at the river...

But it's easy after taking the time... I would use my time bank to decide of folding that or not!

-TRP-

Loonbat

Loonbat

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I agree with posters expressing larger preflop raise, especially in a lower buyin event, but think you played the rest of the hand pretty damn solidly. Good flop bet, nice turn check, and I really think you have a tough time calling most rivers to be honest. The T987 board hits so many limp/call ranges hard and very few opponents will pull the trigger with two pair on the river here.

Folding in Poker