$27 NLHE MTT: $27 TCOOP-01 Phase 1 of 3: K10 w/ TP facing bet 111% pot from initia

daredeviljo

daredeviljo

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
$27 NLHE MTT: $27 TCOOP-01 Phase 1 of 3: K10 w/ TP facing bet 111% pot from initia

pokerstars Hand #147396447247: Tournament #1446351768, $24.55+$2.45 USD Hold'em No Limit - Level VI (40/80) - 2016/01/20 19:02:19 ET
Table '1446351768 18' 6-max Seat #5 is the button
Seat 1: Mr.Angler007 (4218 in chips)
Seat 2: lol1976nc (955 in chips)
Seat 3: lsg6496 (5972 in chips)
Seat 4: t.birds fc (8402 in chips)
Seat 5: JMVIndustry (6118 in chips)
Seat 6: NICKON99 (5734 in chips)
NICKON99: posts small blind 40
Mr.Angler007: posts big blind 80
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to JMVIndustry :ks4::10s4:
lol1976nc: calls 80
lsg6496: folds
t.birds fc: folds
JMVIndustry: calls 80
NICKON99: raises 160 to 240
Mr.Angler007: folds
lol1976nc: calls 160
JMVIndustry: calls 160
*** FLOP *** :10h4::7d4::4d4:
NICKON99: bets 800
lol1976nc: calls 715 and is all-in

So, I've got top pair w/ 2nd best kicker, but I'm facing at 111% pot from the initial raiser and a call allin.
What's the play here?

Last edited:
Delvuter

Delvuter

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I NEVER limp, EVER, that is the first thing. I bet standard 3XBB and if someone 3-bets, it’s a fold or 4-bet. KT is not good enough to call with. So we would 4-bet bluff with it. Or in your case 3-bet as played. That route may have taken the pot pre, which I always like to try to do. But yeah, post I just fold to that. We don’t win enough there I don’t think for it to be profitable over the long run. Nick’s bet pre says he could have (TT+ dominates us, obviously), (AK, AQ, AJ, all over cards making it a coin flip), (AT again dominates us), (77, 44, which may have folded pre had you bet) I don’t have an an equity software to see what our winning percentage is against those possible hands included with non-winning combos, but I am guessing we wouldn’t lose the house saying a fold here is starting to look like a god idea.

M

Marginal

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If you never limp nor call a 3 bet you are making huge mistakes, there are many hands that play well that by 3 betting or 4 betting, you are turning into a bluff and losing the equity we had with those hands.

4 bet bluffing KT here is really unnecessary.

Im not really bullish on this hand, im not super stoked about calling the raise preflop but I can understand why. Full pot bet on flop I feel inclined to call and then re-assess turn Just because when we play a hand like this, we cant really be folding top pair on this board. Reason being, with the all in on the flop, its very unlikely for villain to bluff turns with no side pot considerations, so a bet on the turn is more indication that we are beat.

Lucothefish

Lucothefish

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If it was HU I could call that overbet from sb, but when shortie calls you now have two to beat and no redraws, it's a fold.

Delvuter

Delvuter

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I did say I never limp, but I didn’t say I never call a 3-bet. I try to have a 7% 3-bet average per the suggestion in the strategy articles, and I try to 4-bet bluff now and again if my stack warrants it. I call 3-bets with suited connectors and small PP if my stack warrants it and medium PP, but not very often will I call KT, I am sorry, but that hand sucks.

Delvuter

Delvuter

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Im not really bullish on this hand, im not super stoked about calling the raise preflop but I can understand why. Full pot bet on flop I feel inclined to call and then re-assess turn Just because when we play a hand like this, we cant really be folding top pair on this board. Reason being, with the all in on the flop, its very unlikely for villain to bluff turns with no side pot considerations, so a bet on the turn is more indication that we are beat.

calling the flop is a leak.

M

Marginal

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
folding top pair in single raise pots to a cbet is probably a bigger leak.

Lucothefish

Lucothefish

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
folding top pair in single raise pots to a cbet is probably a bigger leak.
I think the problem here is that even against SBs bluffing hands we're not that far ahead, and as a rule you need a stronger (made*) hand to overcall than you do to just call.

* which is why I mentioned redraws, drawing hands play better against a range and against multiple opponents than made hands do, and we have a vulnerable made hand here that hates half the deck on the turn.

M

Marginal

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
SB does not have to be very strong here though, I'm not saying our hand is great or that I love our hand folding here we are folding top of our range.

Lucothefish

Lucothefish

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yeah don't get me wrong, this:

Reason being, with the all in on the flop, its very unlikely for villain to bluff turns with no side pot considerations, so a bet on the turn is more indication that we are beat.

Is good reasoning to take the flat IP and evaluate as it cuts our reverse implieds down, and in general I think overbets are bluffy a.f. so it's not like calling here is terrible.

I'd feel a lot better about it if that 7d was a 9s or something though so we at least had a chance at picking up outs ott, we're pretty naked as-is

M

Marginal

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It's not an overbet. He mashed pot it's exactly pot

daredeviljo

daredeviljo

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Am I missing something? Was there 240 chips put in by NICK, lol and I? And NICK bet 800 into a 720 pot? Where does the other 80 come from?

heh, you're right. I didn't even check, where did OP get 111% from