Q

quant1986

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Mid stage live MTT, re-entry period ended

CO: fairly loose and sticky, ~60BB, defended T6o from BB against EP open.
BTN: tight, 60BB+
SB: tight,<25BB
BB (Hero): 50BB

CO limped, BTN called, SB completed, BB checked with 44♠

Flop (5BB, 4 players): J T 4
SB checked. BB bet 3BB. CO called. BTN and SB folded.

Quite dynamic board, I may take check-raise line sometimes but my hand is quite vulnerable so decided to bet here. Could get value from draws, Jx,Tx

Turn (11BB, 2 players): 7
BB bet 6BB, CO called.

River (23BB, 2 players) 9
BB checked, CO bet 13BB, BB ?

Not sure if bet-fold or check-call is better. Decided to check given obvious flush draws missed and villain may be bluffing with this card. I could check KQ without spade here as well.

Questions:
1.What do you think CO range is?
2. Would you take a different line?

SirYivx

SirYivx

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
CO sounds like a calling station, so because of this I would go larger with the bet sizing. I think 3 BB on flop is fine, maybe 3.5-4 BB considering CO loose play and 4 players in the pot, not a huge deal though. Also, I do like the flop lead, many times it will get checked around and you will miss your check-raise opportunity. I think you played it well, but you have to bet bigger on the turn. The 7d only completes a straight for 89, and while that hand is definitely in CO's range, so are hands like JT, J9, J8, T9, T8, etc and spade draws like K5s, A6s, etc. There are SO many more combinations of hands that we are ahead of here, so we want our opponent to pay to draw with these hands. I'm going at least 2/3 pot on the turn, anywhere between 8-11 BB.

This is one of the worst river cards we can see, but it's definitely not THE worst. Our opponent still has tons of 2 pair hands that we can get value from, and only a small number of hands with 8's in them. We can all but eliminate KQ from his range, as he would've likely raised that pre-flop, as well as JJ and TT. SO we are losing to hands like T8, J8, 87s, and 89. I think check-calling and bet-folding are both fine here. I would lean more toward check-calling, as getting raised on the river would be super gross and we would have to fold. We are still getting the right odds to call on the river here though, as we are still ahead of the majority of our opponents range. It seems so obvious when we call and he has it, but I'm calling here unless I know a lot about my opponent and know that he wouldn't take this line without an 8.

Z

zuker

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
flop nice bet
from turn you have to start undress him. bet so big as he could call maybe even overbet. river block bet/fold.

S

skeptix

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Bad runout for you, but your line is fine. I think I find a call much of the time given the nature of your opponent.

M

mara2259

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Having a set on the flop, you too sluggishly defended your hand from a fairly loose player, now you have a big problem. Having invested in a 10BV bank, you will have to spend another 13BB to make sure that the villain has 8 or KQ. It may also be assumed that a player calling an open raise from early position with an T6o hand is able to enter the game with TT or JJ limp. :sleep:

R

RocwX

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would find it hard to fold this hand. My first guess would be that the opponent was chasing a flush and, when it didn't happen, tried to bluff their way out of the hand. I don't see someone with KQ, suited or not, limping preflop in that situation. I also don't think someone with just an 8 would stick for the turn unless it was the 8 of spades and they had another spade. I think you'd win this hand most of the times and calling the river bet would be fine.

Matt Vaughan

Matt Vaughan

King of Moody Rants
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
DEF bet bigger on the turn. It's a card that connects the board more. Yes it brings in 98 but it also makes a lot more river cards really bad for us. Now any 9 or 8 is bad in addition to any spade not being the greatest.

As played though. The river is probably the worst non-spade in the deck because it not only brings in any 8x hand (of which there should be plenty because 8xss is out there), but also KQ (which almost certainly plays this way and there are potentially 16 combos).

I'm not saying I x/fold or anything, but I think even bet/fold is probably an overplay so I like the check.Whether I call the river bet at this size will come down to a lot of factors in-game, but I would lean toward calling only because we're so high up in our distribution. I assume we're not checking many stronger hands here, but maybe we could check raise KQ. I don't think we ever have an 8 here as played unless it's MAYBE 98.

Then again, people don't tend to stab enough in live games, so I wouldn't really despise a fold either.

K

kkonicke

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I like SirYivx thoughts quite a bit. There are way too many hands out there that would bet for value that you beat. So many 2 pair, also missed flush draws...if he's a bad player maybe he thinks AJ is good and bet. This feels like either J8 or J9 to me...hopefully for your case you called and it was J9.

Matt Vaughan

Matt Vaughan

King of Moody Rants
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I like SirYivx thoughts quite a bit. There are way too many hands out there that would bet for value that you beat. So many 2 pair, also missed flush draws...if he's a bad player maybe he thinks AJ is good and bet. This feels like either J8 or J9 to me...hopefully for your case you called and it was J9.

I think there's like... maybe 0.5% chance that we run into 2 pair here. People just don't value bet thinly live. There's a one liner on the board so no one here is value betting worse than 8x.

Jacki Burkhart

Jacki Burkhart

long winded rambler...
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
i like your line. yes you could bet turn bigger but it's fine. 6/11 is more than 50% you are denying odds to draws and our goal isn't to make them fold anyways.

as for the river: should you bet fold or check call?

I think I would go for a small blocker bet here which accomplishes 2 things: possibly gets value from 2 pair because it's so cheap,

gets us to showdown cheaper everytime he has a naked 8x as he can't really raise that for value with possible Q8 and KQ out there.

it's an easy fold vs a river raise

so...as played i think I bet 6bb

greatgame230

greatgame230

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
1. the range should be K10o, Q10o, KJo, that is, nothing special for just calling in the pre-flop.
2. I would have played the hand a little differently first I would raise the pre-flop, then check the flop trying to induce any other player to try to take the pot, I think in the turn and river decide which movement to do it is very easy, you just have to see what movements the rest of the players are doing