$22 NLHE MTT: SB A4o shove to steal the blinds, profitable spot or not?

Z

zorcka

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hey guys, I got myself into a SCOOP, short information:
playerpool 4111 people, 131 people left. About 690 paid.

I shoved from the SB (slightly covering the BB) with A4o and ran into AKo.
I ran in through ICMizer and it was a +EV shove because the BB will have to fold thightly? & I was thinking "I'm blocking one ace".
Now I'm wondering what some other opinions are about this shove?
After busting, I was thinking this shove was too wide for this deep in the tournament, getting an other payjump when 102 people left. Because I didn't cover the BB for a larger amount of chips.
Now I'm thinking I should have only shoved the following range (if I had an ace in my hand) A5+s AT+o in that spot to steal blinds.

pokerstars, $20 + $2 - Hold'em No Limit - 20,000/40,000 (5,000 ante) - 8 players
Replay this hand on CardsChat - https://www.cardschat.com/replayer/124BFRtGE

UTG: 660,650 (17 bb)
UTG+1: 1,258,451 (31 bb)
MP: 46,896 (1 bb)
MP+1: 1,301,763 (33 bb)
CO: 457,260 (11 bb)
BU: 668,671 (17 bb)
SB (Hero): 708,810 (18 bb)
BB: 559,616 (14 bb)

Pre-Flop: (100,000) Hero is SB with 4♠ A♥
6 players fold, Hero raises to 703,810 (all-in), BB calls 514,616 (all-in)

Flop: (1,149,232) T♥ 6♠ 8♣ (2 players, 2 all-in)

Turn: (1,149,232) A♣ (2 players, 2 all-in)

River: (1,149,232) 2♥ (2 players, 2 all-in)

Total pot: 1,149,232

Showdown:
SB (Hero) shows 4♠ A♥ (a pair of Aces)
(equity - Pre-Flop: 26%, Flop: 16%, Turn: 7%, River: 0%)

BB shows A♠ K♦ (a pair of Aces - higher kicker)
(Equity - Pre-Flop: 74%, Flop: 84%, Turn: 93%, River: 100%)

BB wins 1,149,232

Bozovicdj

Bozovicdj

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Well, in this specific spot, I'd want more info? For example, when is the next payjump?

I can see that 1bb player, we want him to bust out before us, also there are a couple stacks shorter then you, and a couple close to you. It seems that we may wait for a better shove spot. However, this will be a +ev decision in the long run. If you are playing these tournaments regularly, then y shove it. If not, then you want to maximize on this specific tournament and go as far as possible, so I might think about folding actually. It may be too nitty, but hell, if it gets you 20+$ more, then fold away.

Z

zorcka

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Well, in this specific spot, I'd want more info? For example, when is the next payjump?

I can see that 1bb player, we want him to bust out before us, also there are a couple stacks shorter then you, and a couple close to you. It seems that we may wait for a better shove spot. However, this will be a +ev decision in the long run. If you are playing these tournaments regularly, then y shove it. If not, then you want to maximize on this specific tournament and go as far as possible, so I might think about folding actually. It may be too nitty, but hell, if it gets you 20+$ more, then fold away.

The next payjump was when 102 people were left,
My position was around 75 of 130 people left.
If I had waited for a better moment, I could have made the next payjump indeed.
So I totally agree with your opinion! Thank you for the respons!

Nr98

Nr98

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Standard spot, standard jam. Don't overthink it because BB happened to have had AK.

300HPGOD

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
For the most part this is a go for shoving. I think if the BB is very loose (It matters cause it affects the % in which they call) I think you would have more a decision. I say that because in that case BB would be calling a lot and much of the time they will have worse than us but it will 107, 95, Q8, etc type hands. On paper that would seem to be what we want be we are felted if that is the case 40% of the time. Rarely would they have a hand we dominate and rarely would they have one or two cards lower than our 4. So they would have decent equity against us.

With all that being said, though, you have 17 BB in a heads up spot with an Ace in your hand. That is a strong hand that should be played that way. Raising to 2x, 3x or 4x makes little sense to me since if we are called we are playing out of position. I like the jam and it is bad luck that we ran into something here that is better than what we had.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Seem like a completely standard spot to open jam. The alternative would be to limp, but a rag ace is not really the kind of hand, you want to take postflop, and what is the plan, if he jam? Are you going to limp-fold or limp-call? I dont like any of those options, so for me this a jam all day long, and if he happen to wake up with a better ace or a pocket pair, sucks to be me.