$22 NLHE MTT Bounty: $$22 NLHE MTT Bounty: $22 PKO Fold Call or Shove preflop with 88

E

EarnDAStack

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
$22 NLHE MTT Bounty: $$22 NLHE MTT Bounty: $22 PKO Fold Call or Shove preflop with 88

I played this hand last night with a $22 tournament ticked I won in a Cardschat Power Series game on party poker. BB had a really high 3 bet to LP steal % I had the Jam all set up in the slider and decided that at 30BB it was probably a punt with the BTN still left to act on the BB's 3-bet. I feel in spots like these when I'm in the middle of the pack I often over fold and it ends up costing me a shot at a deep run the percentage of the time I would have been ahead but folded.

Is 88 here high enough in my range to be jamming on a loose 3 betting BB with a player on the BTN left to act?
If it's now where would the line between shove and fold start?
I don't think this would ever be a flat right?

partypoker - 1750/3500 NL (8 max) - Holdem - 7 players
Hand converted by PokerTracker 4

SB: 55.61 BB (VPIP: 26.00, PFR: 10.00, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, hands: 51)
BB: 168.93 BB (VPIP: 25.00, PFR: 16.67, 3Bet Preflop: 7.69, Hands: 37)
UTG: 43.45 BB (VPIP: 40.00, PFR: 10.00, 3Bet Preflop: 25.00, Hands: 10)
UTG+1: 38.99 BB (VPIP: 50.00, PFR: 12.50, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 8)
Hero (MP): 35.91 BB
CO: 22.1 BB (VPIP: 57.14, PFR: 21.43, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 14)
BTN: 64.43 BB (VPIP: 28.57, PFR: 15.00, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 21)

7 players post ante of 0.12 BB, SB posts SB 0.5 BB, BB posts BB 1 BB

Pre Flop: (pot: 2.37 BB) Hero has 8 8

fold, fold, Hero raises to 2.5 BB, fold, BTN calls 2.5 BB, fold, BB raises to 10 BB, fold, BTN raises to 64.31 BB and is all-in, BB calls 54.31 BB

I'll post the final results later if anyone wants to see them

Thank's for your thoughts, and I look forward to reading your replies below :deal:

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think, this is a close decision between folding and calling. Calling does create a somewhat awkward spot, but BB could me squeezing light here, taking advantage of his huge stack to be a "chip bully". I dont like jamming. You are getting called by all better hands and folding out all worse. He is snapping you with 99, but his A5s goes in the muck, so you allow him to play nearly 100% perfect.

Be carefull about, how you use HUD-stats. With 37 hands his 7,69% 3-bet is likely only a single 3-bet, so you have no idea about this guys 3-betting tendencies. The only usefull stats here are VPIP and PFR, which are kind of normal and indicate, that he is at not a huge fish or a nit.

Katie Dozier

Katie Dozier

Poker Expert
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

Be carefull about, how you use HUD-stats. With 37 hands his 7,69% 3-bet is likely only a single 3-bet, so you have no idea about this guys 3-betting tendencies. The only usefull stats here are VPIP and PFR, which are kind of normal and indicate, that he is at not a huge fish or a nit.

Excellent reply here by Fundiver! When people are surprised about me only playing with a very simple HUD, the above quote hits the nail on the head perfectly. It is very easy to overuse stats that take a large sample to become statistically relevant, such as the one used by OP in this hand. For reference, I’d want at least a thousand hands to really “use” that stat to influence my action (and would feel way better about 10k+), and not having it on my standard HUD keeps me from overusing it. Plus, if I want that info (after deducing that I have enough hands with my opponent), then I can always click on the HUD to view more stats.

That being said, I wouldn’t shove for 35 blinds total here with 88 over a 3-bet where your stack is covered by your opponent in a bounty. The fact that this is a bounty is particularly relevant because even if your opponent isn’t a reg, most people in bounties do intrinsically understand that they need to call wide when they cover to try to scoop the bounty. Now if you have a better hand, that can actually be a good thing, but as Fundiver also said you’re pretty much going to be called by better, but it is close. 88 is most likely the top of my folding range here, so it’s certainly close and thanks for sharing this spot! [emoji4]

Folding in Poker