$22 NLHE MTT: AQs BTN, SB push 22BB call or fold?

puzzlefish

puzzlefish

student of the donk arts
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
I think it's a marginal play. AQ is slightly behind 66. However, in terms of putting your chips to best use I think a 10-fold reraise on your AQ is telling you that you're probably up against a decent hand. No stats on the villain but I imagine they have some sense of the range expected in SB position.

omnom8

omnom8

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
snap call vs all
his jam range very wide

Flight777sem

Flight777sem

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You didn’t make a mistake. It’s a call obviously with AQs

puzzlefish

puzzlefish

student of the donk arts
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Seriously in a $22 tourney this is a snap call?

Flight777sem

Flight777sem

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I believe it is. Considering we are raising on button and he shows 22 bb. I would call it even if it’s 100$ buy in

ammje

ammje

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You didn’t make a mistake. It’s a call obviously with AQs
Thanks for your opinion, I wanted to go far in the tournament, had gone A or Q, would have 90bb, and could dominate the table, it was somewhat passive.

gl friend. :)

P

ph_il

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Seriously in a $22 tourney this is a snap call?
What does by in have to do with this?

If we give villain a fairly tight shove range of 22+, A10s+, AKo, KQs, we are only a 45% underdog or a virtual coinflip. However, villain is likely shoving a much wider range and we can probably throw in some re-steal bluffs in the mix as hero's open looks like a standard blind steal, giving hero even more equity to make the call.

Is it a snap call? Maybe, but it's definitely a call unless villain is an absolute nit. We can't be afraid to flip for 22BBs effective.

alienat3d

alienat3d

easy-going alien grinder
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hello friends, I want to know if this movement was good, or made a mistake.

It was on the button with 70BB, did OP X2, the SB push 22BB, was call or fold?

https://www.boomplayer.com/29431739_3728416492

gl :icon_thum:D

Hey there!

I believe that it's a good call. There are only few hands AQs looks bad against, we're having A & Q, as blockers for AK, AA & QQ. It's very likely that we will have coin flip there, but there are also some worse hands, that he could use as re-steal: A8s+, A9o+, KJ, KQ, JQs, JTs. +- depends on his tightness. But even if we're flipping, we have advantages here: we're covering his stack, so our tournament life isn't in risk by that decision. There are already dead money in pot, not much but additional big blind. I think in this situation there will be re-steal a lot of the times, as your villain putting you on pretty wide OR range, as you are on BU.
In addition i passed your hand through ICMezer. Attaching results below. As you can see it says call is +EV with AQs. ;)

Thanks for posting an interesting spot! :icon_thum

Attachments

• snap1491.jpg
    snap1491.jpg
    391.3 KB · Views: 35
Last edited:
ammje

ammje

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Thank you very much for your opinions, friends, I now feel a little better knowing I made the right move.

Luck at the tables. :cool: :ciao:

If we give villain a fairly tight shove range of 22+, A10s+, AKo, KQs, we are only a 45% underdog or a virtual coinflip. However, villain is likely shoving a much wider range and we can probably throw in some re-steal bluffs in the mix as hero's open looks like a standard blind steal, giving hero even more equity to make the call.

Is it a snap call? Maybe, but it's definitely a call unless villain is an absolute nit. We can't be afraid to flip for 22BBs effective.

Hey there!

I believe that it's a good call. There are only few hands AQs looks bad against, we're having A & Q, as blockers for AK, AA & QQ. It's very likely that we will have coin flip there, but there are also some worse hands, that he could use as re-steal: A8s+, A9o+, KJ, KQ, JQs, JTs. +- depends on his tightness. But even if we're flipping, we have advantages here: we're covering his stack, so our tournament life isn't in risk by that decision. There are already dead money in pot, not much but additional big blind. I think in this situation there will be re-steal a lot of the times, as your villain putting you on pretty wide OR range, as you are on BU.
In addition i passed your hand through ICMezer. Attaching results below. As you can see it says call is +EV with AQs. ;)

puzzlefish

puzzlefish

student of the donk arts
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips

That's the problem that everyone is assuming SB has a wide range without knowing anything about the actual player sitting there and why he would suddenly jam all-in for his remaining stack. I get the math for getting 20 more BBs but at the same time there is the math for 20 less BBs. I guess the buy-in matters for me because I do not think players are as likely to throw their stacks around when more money is on the line. Not saying I'm right or putting down other comments here, just expressing surprise.

T

TDTODDY

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
AQ suited looks so nice when it comes up, but boy can it be a chip drain. Dominated by AK, a flip against any other low to middling pairs, and in trouble against aa,kk,qq. Hard to fold, but in most cases the right move.

P

ph_il

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
That's the problem that everyone is assuming SB has a wide range without knowing anything about the actual player sitting there and why he would suddenly jam all-in for his remaining stack. I get the math for getting 20 more BBs but at the same time there is the math for 20 less BBs. I guess the buy-in matters for me because I do not think players are as likely to throw their stacks around when more money is on the line. Not saying I'm right or putting down other comments here, just expressing surprise.
22BB 3bet jam with 66 is pretty standard.

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

Fully Tilted
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips

I think you're missing out on what the poster was actually expressing to you. In many instances the SB can be actually 3betting allin here VERY wide as he has fold equity vs. what looks to be a typical LP steal (I'm sure a very VERY wide range here would be +EV to shove with in THIS spot... so to assume that SB is only shoving a tight range here is VERY wrong under most circumstances.)

georgi krastev

georgi krastev

Legendary Donk-Fish
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BG
Chips
Hello.

I think this is a reasonable fold.

:)

Mmurilove

Mmurilove

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Do you have any information about the villain? Was he raising or giving a lot of 3bet? Have you seen a show down from him? And BB was very tight? If it was, maybe the SB could give re-steal with a wider range because he thought you were trying to exploit him.
However, without information and considering the stacks I think the call is ok. It gives 3bet with many Axs weaker than yours, as well as broadways and pairs, range of which you are in front or in situation of coin-flip, but even losing you would still be the leader in chips at the table, so I think it would be worth the risk.

A

ankitgupta45

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Couple of points i want to make here ,
1 ) AQs is a very tempting hand and i definitely dont hate call but u could have folded if
a. villain was playing pretty tight.
b. this is the first time he has shoved like this.
c. Preserving chips is more important in a tournament. and to me if the player is not LAG or maniac , this doesnt seem like very profitable spot to call.
Also, dont take ICMIZER info..those are not correct . ICMIZER is making this assumption based on if villain is pushing 27% of his hands and i dont think villain would be doing that. ICMIZER is for GTO players and if u r following it for $22 tourney , u r making a huge mistake.

A

ankitgupta45

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hey there!

ICMIZER needs to be tweaked to get better results. Do u really believe villain is shoving 27% of his hands Vs a HJ open and that too with a 20BB stack. I dont think so.

puzzlefish

puzzlefish

student of the donk arts
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
I think you're missing out on what the poster was actually expressing to you. In many instances the SB can be actually 3betting allin here VERY wide as he has fold equity vs. what looks to be a typical LP steal (I'm sure a very VERY wide range here would be +EV to shove with in THIS spot... so to assume that SB is only shoving a tight range here is VERY wrong under most circumstances.)
Yes, and it is this exact thinking that allows players at a higher level to exploit hero callers who are anticipating this wide range.

Luan

Luan

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
first I would analyze the tournament to see if it is near the bubble or not, if it is in the bubble I shovo all in if it is not I will call or fold!

L

Lexgrof024

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
During last few days my AK AQ and AJ were mostly beaten by lower aces.. my opinion is that any mathematics stops when it comes to pure luck. Play it by the feelling at the moment :)

Folding in Poker