$22 NLHE MTT: AQo LJ (20bb): Vil UTG+1 (47bb) Opens 3x, Hero 3bets 8.5x, Vil 4bet jams 47bb?

RiverLord90

RiverLord90

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
$22 NLHE MTT: AQo LJ (20bb): Vil UTG+1 (47bb) Opens 3x, Hero 3bets 8.5x, Vil 4bet jams 47bb?

361 players left ITM.

We're in this situation so many times in tournaments, this is probably an easy decision for us. You can imagine what villain has.

The DriveHUD equity calculator gave us a 58.72% against villain's automated/perceived range. We only have 2 hands registered against villain so I guess it doesn't matter.

NL Holdem $2500(BB)
EP ($116744) [VPIP: 100% | PFR: 100% | AGG: 20% | Flop Agg: 0% | Turn Agg: 50% | River Agg: 0% | 3-Bet: 0% | 4-Bet: 100% | Fold to 4-Bet: 0% | Hands: 2]

HERO ($50718) [VPIP: 22.4% | PFR: 16.1% | AGG: 27.7% | Flop Agg: 35.8% | Turn Agg: 25.5% | River Agg: 15.1% | 3-Bet: 6.7% | Fold to 3-Bet: 37.9% | 4-Bet: 27.7% | Hands: 107549]

Dealt to Hero: A Q

UTG Folds, EP Raises To $7750, MP1 Folds, MP2 Folds, HERO Raises To $22025, CO Folds, BTN Folds, SB Folds, BB Folds, EP Raises To $116744 (allin),

HERO Calls $28693 (allin)

EP shows: K A

Flop ($172962): 7 3 J

Turn ($172962): 7 3 J Q

River ($172962): 7 3 J Q T

EP wins: $106936

S

ssbn743

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
361 players left ITM.

We're in this situation so many times in tournaments, this is probably an easy decision for us. You can imagine what villain has.

The DriveHUD equity calculator gave us a 58.72% against villain's automated/perceived range. We only have 2 hands registered against villain so I guess it doesn't matter.

NL Holdem $2500(BB)
EP ($116744) [VPIP: 100% | PFR: 100% | AGG: 20% | Flop Agg: 0% | Turn Agg: 50% | River Agg: 0% | 3-Bet: 0% | 4-Bet: 100% | Fold to 4-Bet: 0% | Hands: 2]

HERO ($50718) [VPIP: 22.4% | PFR: 16.1% | AGG: 27.7% | Flop Agg: 35.8% | Turn Agg: 25.5% | River Agg: 15.1% | 3-Bet: 6.7% | Fold to 3-Bet: 37.9% | 4-Bet: 27.7% | Hands: 107549]

Dealt to Hero: A Q

UTG Folds, EP Raises To $7750, MP1 Folds, MP2 Folds, HERO Raises To $22025, CO Folds, BTN Folds, SB Folds, BB Folds, EP Raises To $116744 (allin),

HERO Calls $28693 (allin)

EP shows: K A

Flop ($172962): 7 3 J

Turn ($172962): 7 3 J Q

River ($172962): 7 3 J Q T

EP wins: $106936

Agree that this is a common spot. Couple of things though:

We have 20BB's - we don't have the luxury of 3bet/folding. As a general rule, if you're not going to fold, you should just put the chips in yourself.

So, this is a tough but standard spot, however, when all factors are considered, we may be able to find a way out of this one:

1. Is this a BBA, or any kind of ante game?

2. Typically, this hand (HJ vs +1... I'm guessing) should be played as a 3-bet/flat the 4 suited combo's. We can't do that here (beings we had AQo) and profitably fold to 4bet. - so this option becomes a jam. If there are ante's, especially, I'd just prefer this option.

3. We can fold. However, this is pretty nitty, especially in an online tourney; we'd need a good reason, like villain is an uber-nit. The presence of ante's can actually make this fold even harder as everyone should be playing more hands, and the big blind (particularly in BBA format's) comes along OOP with inferior holding almost every time - and there's an extra bet already out there.

4. We can flat call. now this decision should be made on table tendencies, and the tendencies of the BB in particular. If other players are likely to call, and if the BB always calls, this is not a good option. If there is lots of 3-betting occurring this is also not good.

So, yeah, tough spot, but it could be worse... imagine if he was UTG and you were +1 in the same situation? Anyway, I can't fault any of these options, just want to suggest we think about it a little differently, yes it's standard, but it's not set in stone and we do have a little wiggle-room.

Q

QA77

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I don’t like 3bet folding so all in or fold seems like the best options. Because its early position and its a bigger raise (3x), I would fold sometimes here. I definitely don’t think calling is the way to go. Shoving isn’t horrible but feels like AQo can be in trouble vs a 3x raise from EP.

jordanbillie

jordanbillie

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You better excuse my analysis, because I play an entirely different game than most people.

With that being said, it's almost impossible for me to give an accurate analysis of this spot since I'm extremely limited on my information (your data that you provide is almost meaningless to how I play).

I agree with the notion that 3-betting is pot committing you, so if you prefer that route a shove would probably be better.

In this spot, if I have limited experience with this villain, I'm likely to flat. I've been playing "small ball" a lot in these spots and it's effective because it goes against the norm. Then you simply play the flop accordingly (and surprisingly, you may have won this hand).

My whole game is centered around disruption, and not falling victim to the formulaic style of playing that has infested most of online poker.

Jon Poker

Jon Poker

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Off of 20bb we are never 3betting half of our stack here just to fold - that's an insanely bad play. Anyhow, when we are shallow at 20bb no sense in being cute about it and making it 22k leaving 28k behind...just shove it all in there and let the cards fall where they may. You almost won the hand and I wonder if you would even be posting this situation if you HAD won the hand. People tend to focus more on the bad results moreso than the play at hand. Even vs an early position raise from a villan we have no hand histories on I think this is just a 3bet shove spot. We can get called by worse alot here. AJs, ATs, all the middling pairs have to call off our jam and we are doing well flipping with those hands.

Conclusion - the 3bet for half our stack here is unnecessary - we cant fold to a 4bet after this unless we are just that damn foolish so - if we are raise calling off - just rejam the 20bb stack with AQ and let the cards fall where they may. If you are uncomfortable doing this - then fold and look for another spot. This is a profitable play long term and when we do get called we are in decent shape when flipping and generally only crushed by very few hands which we hold relative blockers to.

One more time....3 bet jam or fold, let fate do the rest.