$22 NLHE MTT: $$22 NLHE MTT: Planning to bluff on which river cards?

J

Jako7600

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
OK, so I'm in the $22 Super Tuesday - there are 26 people left. I'm in about 5th spot and I really don't like the line I took on this hand...

Villain opens UTG + 2 to 2X The BB with 40BB behind. Villain has shown that he is a very strong player, and his online results confirm that he is crushing these stakes.

I have 60BB - have also been aggressive - but have been targeting the weak players at the table - and have steered clear of this player thus far.

Action folds to Hero in BB with AsTh - Hero calls.
I think this is standard - not comfortable with inflating the pot by 3 betting oop, and its too tight a fold getting more than 2:1.

Flop is Ks Qc 8s

I check.
Villain bets 1/3 pot. At this point I have a gut shot to the Jack and a backdoor flush draw and am aware that I can occasionally have the best hand. I float with intentions of taking the pot away if villain slows down.

Turn is 7s
This is where i question my play: I decide to lead the Turn a bit more than half pot. My initial thinking was that I didn't want to play the hand check- call flop, check - call turn and check - fold river when i miss. Plus when I hit my hand after calling turn - my flush is super face up and i'm not going to extract any value on river by leading or by checking. So i don't like check- calling turn.

So I lead the turn for a bit more than half pot. Villain calls.

At this point my question becomes, given this line what cards do I continue barrelling on? What hands can I expect Villain to fold?
Obviously I'm barrelling all spades and Jacks (12 cards)
Do I barrel a river K? what about a 7? what about a Q? what about a 2?

I'm thinking now that a check - raise on turn would seem stronger? Thoughts? If i check -raise and villain calls does the range of cards I should barrel river on change?

Bear in mind that depending on my river sizing (villain has a 1.5 SPR) I can be overbet shoving, or betting large which is placing significant pressure on Villains stack. Based on my opponent, I do not expect him to call me down with a weak one pair (unless of course he has a good read on my bluff/ my bets make no sense).

So in sum:
1. Float on flop with decent equity (or should i fold / or even check raise flop??)
2. Lead on turn vs check - call vs check - raise (I'm leaning check raise now?)
3. Given i lead / raise turn --> what rivers do I barrel / give up on
4. Is this line credible that you would expect villain to fold Kx on? TT? AA? (what hands can villain have and what can he fold?)

T

trent32la

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Preflop is standard. Flop I like calling here vs such a small sizing.

Once I saw what the turn card was, I was going to reply "lead turn", however I see you did and I definitely like leading this turn. We can fold out villain's air/mid pair hands and still have decent equity with a nut flush draw and a gutshot.

As for the river, I'm overbet jamming if a 2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,T, or J without a spade hit the river. If a K/Q/A without a spade hit the river I am checking. If any spade rivers, I'm going 2/3rd pot.

Your line is certainly credible here, and villain can't really expect you to show up with a hand like AsTx here. A thinking player will know you have very few "bluffs" when taking this life.

Last edited:
J

Jako7600

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
@trent32la
If we are bluffing almost every card in the deck (except the remaining 8 kings queens and aces) then we have way too many bluffs in our range. I find it hard to believe that villain will find a fold with AK or KJ here if we lead the turn and then shove river on the 2 of clubs? For that matter on any card below a 6? If we are shoving those hands (2's through 5's) we are basically saying we turned a flush or we have a set of 8's or 7's. And would these hands really shove? I think we'd be betting smaller for value (2/3 pot or something)

That's why I was inclined to bet both my bluffs and value the same here at 2/3 pot. I was planning to continue on Q's ( he shouldn't have too many Q's except KQ that bets flop), 7's, 6's 9's T's J's (representing mainly hit straight draws, or trip sevens). So if we check give up on a 2 3 4 or 5 - which we don't really represent - then we balance our bluffs with our value making it a lot tougher for villain to find a call with AK, or KJ or AA