$215 NLHE MTT Deep Stacked Bounty: 2 Pair aggressive play caused my k0

alienat3d

alienat3d

easy-going alien grinder
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Honestly i don't like only your limp on Pre-Flop. I would rather raise it or fold, but when you limp, you basically playing against random hand without position. Raise would narrow your villain's range or even let you win his blind instantly sometimes.
Postflop line looks totally fine to me. Two pairs is a great hand, especially in HU situation, but it's also very vulnerable on later streets after such flop. So you have to protect it and collect as much value from drawing hands as you can and you did it well. Nothing to regret about. Simply got unlucky. It happens. But still, i would rethink your limping pre-flop strategy, as it's pretty damn hard to play without position and without information.

S

sheltowee420

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Knocked out.

Good to be aggressive with 2 pair after the flop, can take the pot or get information, but betting on the river the only one who will call has you beat, better to just check, and, if it is bubble time and I face a big bet I will probably fold.

hugh blair

hugh blair

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Honestly i don't like only your limp on Pre-Flop. I would rather raise it or fold, but when you limp, you basically playing against random hand without position. Raise would narrow your villain's range or even let you win his blind instantly sometimes.
Postflop line looks totally fine to me. Two pairs is a great hand, especially in HU situation, but it's also very vulnerable on later streets after such flop. So you have to protect it and collect as much value from drawing hands as you can and you did it well. Nothing to regret about. Simply got unlucky. It happens. But still, i would rethink your limping pre-flop strategy, as it's pretty damn hard to play without position and without information.
Like the preflop raise idea thanks for input might have worked:dontknow: but that opponent had lot of chips and was calling raises wide as largest stack and hunting bounties.
Still think limp check check and fold was best play.
Wet board alarm bells should have been going off after they called flop bet check turn and river after 4 to a straight appeared and fold keep million chips for better spot.
Must turn that hindsight which is easy in to foresight:eek:

hugh blair

hugh blair

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Good to be aggressive with 2 pair after the flop, can take the pot or get information, but betting on the river the only one who will call has you beat, better to just check, and, if it is bubble time and I face a big bet I will probably fold.

Just fold preflop even easier no difficult decisions for rest of hand thanks for input:)

Jacki Burkhart

Jacki Burkhart

long winded rambler...
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Preflop limping is fine as long as it's part of a comprehensive SB limping strategy (meaning you either limp all your playable hands and fold some and limp trap others, or you split your range into a limping range and a raising range which is harder to do correctly but also totally fine if you know how to do that).

I wouldn't fold preflop, unless this is exactly the type of player who is going to jam a lot over my limps (it's a KO so maybe he should given his stack compared to our stack). but if he's playing sort of normally then I think this limp is 100% fine.

Flop: We have flopped great and I like a lead. the board is too wet to let a free card come off and theres tons of draws and 1 pair hands we can get value from. I do like exploitively going for a larger sizing I'm not sure if I would go full pot though...only because it makes it harder to get called by some of his weaker hands and we want to get called by hands like 2 overs with a club, or middle pair or Ace high. I think I would bet about 40-70% of pot (depending on my recent flop sizings and history with villain).

Turn: I don't love this 2x pot turn jam. for a few reasons. The main reason being we have a very strong hand and we want to get value for it. You're putting too much pressure on the draws and medium hands and you're just going to fold them out (now, obviously not as he called with just an OESD and that's a pretty bad call even with a KO). I think on turn I'd bet about half pot which should leave a nice jamming stack for the river; and you don't have to jam unsafe rivers. you can check call or potentially check fold if it's a really bad card (like the 9c, Tc or 5c)

You're really kind of forcing villain to have something when you bet this big, so even though you have a really strong hand, you make such a polarizing bet that you are repping a stronger hand than what you actually have. that's generally unwise to do with a value hand as you're not trying to get folds (repping stronger and getting folds is fine when you're bluffing) and yet because of what you are repping when you do (rarely) get called your huge sizing kind of forces him to have a 2pair or better hand and nearly all of those beat you.

Now, I just said all that and you actually got called really light so if you knew he was capable of stacking off like this then it's a great jam. you'd have to have very specific villain reads before I like this though, and you didn't mention any reads so i'm sticking with, I don't love it.

Summary: pre fine. flop ok maybe a little too big. turn bet smaller. it seemed like maybe you were afraid to let the draws get there? but you miss too much value in the long run with that approach.

Last edited:
Jacki Burkhart

Jacki Burkhart

long winded rambler...
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
also, if it seems like I just roasted you, I didn't mean it that way. ;) It's hard to do this all in real time and much easier to figure out at your keyboard when you have 15 mins to analyze it.

I flopped bottom set in a $5/10 cash game recently on a wet, dangerous board and I overbet jammed the turn for like 1.3x pot and got snapped by a straight. We all make mistakes. it was afterwards that I realized "wow that was a dumb play by me. I'm only getting called by 2 pair or better and since I have bottom set most of that beats me"

hugh blair

hugh blair

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
also, if it seems like I just roasted you, I didn't mean it that way. ;) It's hard to do this all in real time and much easier to figure out at your keyboard when you have 15 mins to analyze it.

I flopped bottom set in a $5/10 cash game recently on a wet, dangerous board and I overbet jammed the turn for like 1.3x pot and got snapped by a straight. We all make mistakes. it was afterwards that I realized "wow that was a dumb play by me. I'm only getting called by 2 pair or better and since I have bottom set most of that beats me"
Thanks Jacki appreciate the honesty was not looking for anything sugar coated really grateful for your insight:)

1player2

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks Jacki appreciate the honesty was not looking for anything sugar coated really grateful for your insight:)

Hello,

BB is the type of player we dream of playing. Bad beat all the way. You can't play this hand better. Donks get lucky every now and then.

I

ibetmyho

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Your play is fine, especially in a bounty tourney. You got in with 75% and unfortunately lost.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Another two year old hand history but at least I assume, OP is still active on the forum, since he is a moderator :)

Preflop
Today I think, few people would argue against SB limping in general and especially in a situation like this. If hero open, he need to go large, and BB will just jam on him with a wide range of hands.

Flop
Two pair on a very wet connected board is always a bit tricky. I think, its fine to bet for value, but a pot sized bet might be a bit to much.

Turn
Kind of the same story. Hero is still likely to be ahead, but when he overbet jam for 2X the pot, he usually only gets action from better hands and the best draws. In this spot Hero actually got it in good, so in a sense I guess, heros line worked, if we are not results oriented :)