$20 NLHE MTT: bad time to re steal?

seeyouthru

seeyouthru

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
so mid stage during tourney BLINDS ARE 450/900 90 (8HANDED)
VILLIAN(20BB) OPENS 3X FROM HIJACK
BTN(16BB) calls
HERO on SB (15BB) with QTo moves all in
BB(40BB) MOVES ALL IN,
HIjack calls, btn folds
hijack shows ATs,
BB shows KTs!

my thinking behind shoving was that i caught hijack bluffing early once and thought that he was raising wide to steal, and btn was proper calling station who would have called preflop ip very wide.
so i thought i might take it down pre but didnt expect bb to also call and hijack wins!

WHAT DO YOU THINK?

T

tmfnsanders

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I can get behind this play 100% if you had a tight table image. If you have been stealing or restealing a lot (more than an average of like once an orbit for the last 3-5 orbits or so) or forced to call reshoves with some trashy hands you were trying to steal with then I'm all for a fold here.

L

LuisBoaC

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I can't argue with your reasons for shoving, however with 20BB I would wait for a better hand than QTo to make such a move.

M

mara2259

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You overestimate your ability to read the hands of opponents. To risk the whole stack with QTo against two villains is too much. Good luck !!! :ciao:

eetenor

eetenor

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
No chips no bluff!

so mid stage during tourney BLINDS ARE 450/900 90 (8HANDED)
VILLIAN(20BB) OPENS 3X FROM HIJACK
BTN(16BB) calls
HERO on SB (15BB) with QTo moves all in
BB(40BB) MOVES ALL IN,
HIjack calls, btn folds
hijack shows ATs,
BB shows KTs!

my thinking behind shoving was that i caught hijack bluffing early once and thought that he was raising wide to steal, and btn was proper calling station who would have called preflop ip very wide.
so i thought i might take it down pre but didnt expect bb to also call and hijack wins!

WHAT DO YOU THINK?

Thank you for posting.

As my title says you did not have the chips to bluff here.
Just a simple math calculation here
You shove 15 bb the pot is 23 bbish including antes. The BB call 14bb The raiser 12bb Who knows what the Btn will do with 13 bb
No way is that enough pressure to get 3 folds.

The initial raiser has only 20bb that means normally when they raise 3x pre they are going with their hand. Which they did. Even after BB shoved!

Point 2
We can not just apply strategies to players without thinking about their tendencies. This villain opens wide so I can bluff. Not if the villain does not fold ever.

Obviously you are playing in a player pool that does not fold. BB's play in this hand for example. We have to know that and act accordingly. We have to know that bluffing is not the way to win vs these villains in this spot.

Hope this helps

:):)

S

skeptix

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Good hand to do it with, good reasoning, I like it.

C

c0rnBr34d

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would rather have a smaller suited Ace to try this so at least we block some. QTo just seems too light here, also the calling station is calling with hands exactly like ours. We cant exploit the station by shoving a range weaker than his station range. I'd wait for a pair, an actual hand, or a weaker suited Ace to make this move. Just because we caught him bluffing once doesn't mean his opening range is always weak.

Z

zuker

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
reasons against pushing:
- you have no fold equity (all is shortstacked)
- you have no decent hand
- you have no image

Jacki Burkhart

Jacki Burkhart

long winded rambler...
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I mostly don't think you should be 3bet jamming light over a raise and a call here, you can, however expand your value range facing the wide flatting range of the station. What I mean is that we can go lower in our pairs and Ax and still have a hope to be getting it in ahead. (or flipping with dead money if the station folds).

if you wanted to do it light...blockers are more important than the "playability" of your hand so A6o would be better from a blocker perspective than QTo even though QT is more playable it doesn't matter here.

blocking AA and AK is valuable and having the Ace for an over is really useful when the raiser has QQ+ and calls you.

C

crimsonshroud88

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I strongly agree with eetenor, given your stack size and oR 3 blinds, pot odds are too good for you opponents. You simply don't have enough fold equity.

S

sirrupetot

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It's better to wait a better hand no need to gamble now, u have enough bb.