$20 NLHE HU Tourney: $ NLHE HU Tourney: SpinNGo, last 2, 5.8bb effective stack calling all in with 98o

teebahnoo

teebahnoo

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
$20 NLHE HU Tourney: $ NLHE HU Tourney: SpinNGo, last 2, 5.8bb effective stack calling all in with 98o

The prize for this one was a $55 ticket to Sunday Milly qualifier.

I played conservatively, no shove pre-flop, raising 30% of hands from SB, limping all other, no re-raise pre, betting for value, no forced bluffs.
The opponent is an aggressive one has been raising almost every hand, going all-in 1/5 hands and won QTo vs my ATo in a previous all-in. However, he didn't bluff much post-flop.

Had it been 98s this was a call with 41% equity against opponent's range (77-22,A9s-A2s,K9s-K7s,QTs-Q7s,J8s+,T8s+,98s,ATo-A2o,KTo-K7o,Q8o+,J8o+,T8o+,98o). With the offsuit, though, I wasn't very happy.

No Limit Hold'em Tournament T40/T80
Buy-in: $18.60+$1.40 USD Hold'em No Limit
PokerStars
2 players
Formatted by SharkScope.com - Track your poker statistics and avoid the sharks

Stacks:
BTN - Hero (
T1,040)
BB - BB (
T460)

Preflop: (
T120, 2 players) Hero is BTN with 9♦8♥
Hero calls T40,
BB raises to T460 (all-in), Hero calls T380

Flop:
7♦8♠J♦ (T920, 2 players, 1 all-in - BB: T0, Hero: T580)

Turn:
4♥ (T920, 2 players, 1 all-in - BB: T0, Hero: T580)

River:
A♥ (T920, 2 players, 1 all-in - BB: T0, Hero: T580)

Total Pot:
T920
BB shows
6♠6♣ (a pair of Sixes)
Hero shows
9♦8♥ (a pair of Eights)

Hero wins T920

Tunkki

Tunkki

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In my opinion 98o limp call so short stacked isn't optimal play. I would rather just jam it in. Heads-up nash shows that 98o is jam over 20bb gto play and call only 6bb. And that's straight call for jam, not to limp-call. But limp call is imo not so good because he won't jam worse hands than what you have. You can jam with quite wide range in short stack HU play and if the opponents folds too much then specially you can exploit that and shoving okay playable hand like 98o is much better than limp-calling.

teebahnoo

teebahnoo

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
if the opponents folds too much then specially you can exploit that and shoving okay playable hand like 98o is much better than limp-calling.

My opponent was not folding at all, he was very aggressive. Also, in my chart 98o is at the bottom for calling a shove with 6bb.

I posted the hand to see if anyone plays anything else than push fold. Such a play is terribly important in a final table and since we don’t get there that often the spins are a good practice. If it was for $20.000 (a possible pay jump) what would you have done?