€2 NLHE MTT Rebuy: Opened KQo UTG reraised allin by CO

E

Elthirius

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello,

2 hours into an MTT, I was more confortable than usual, in the top half of the yellow zone. I was playing my big cards, raising and betting when I hit, and did not met a lot of resistance.

In the following hand, I raised 3BB UTG with KQo, planing on calling a potential allin from my shortstack neighbor.

But I wasn't planning on villain also shoving. I didn't know a lot about this player, only 30 hands played so far. No showdown.

I had a stack 3x his, so in this situation I usually call. But I'm frequently put in these situations in MTT and I often loose a (big) chunk of my stack and end up losing it all.
Is a call worth in your opinion is this situation ? Or should I be more conservative and fold ?

pokerstars No-Limit Hold'em, 2 Tournament, 800/1,600 Blinds 200 Ante (9 handed)

MP2 (42,215)
MP3 (30,933)
CO (21,597)
Button (36,512)
SB (22,525)
BB (69,276)
Hero (UTG) (68,278)
UTG+1 (8,881)
MP1 (81,246)

Hero's M: 16.26

Preflop: Hero is UTG with :kc4:, :qd4:
Hero raises to 4,800, UTG+1 raises to 8,681 (All-In), 3 folds, CO raises to 21,397 (All-In), 3 folds

I ended up calling to be beaten by the turn :(

Flop: (55,675) :2s4:, :kh4:, :6d4: (3 players, 2 all-in)

Turn: (55,675) :8h4: (3 players, 2 all-in)

River: (55,675) :qh4: (3 players, 2 all-in)

Total pot: 55,675

Results below:
Hero had :kc4:, :qd4: (two pair, Kings and Queens).
UTG+1 had :ac4:, :jh4: (high card, Ace).
CO had :8d4:, :8c4: (three of a kind, eights).
Outcome: CO won 55,675

Last edited:
Luvepoker

Luvepoker

Lost in the twilight zone
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I hate when this happens as well. You are behind here for sure but worse still is the pot odds you are getting. You need to call 16597 to win a pot of 55675 so as long as you think you have 29.8% equity of better its a call here. Sadly you have such great odd here . Unless you have a really solid read here I would call this every time but would hate it.

One thing you may want to think about in the future is your position and the other players stack sizes prior to raising here. KQo is not a bad hand but UTG and with so many short stacks who could push all in here makes this a much more dicey situation and you could end up like this with a multi player situation that stinks.

Ryan Laplante

Ryan Laplante

CardsChat Pro
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I would fold, but it is very close.

No need to 3x at this stack depth, 2.5x at largest here.

E

Elthirius

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I hate when this happens as well. You are behind here for sure but worse still is the pot odds you are getting. You need to call 16597 to win a pot of 55675 so as long as you think you have 29.8% equity of better its a call here. Sadly you have such great odd here . Unless you have a really solid read here I would call this every time but would hate it.

One thing you may want to think about in the future is your position and the other players stack sizes prior to raising here. KQo is not a bad hand but UTG and with so many short stacks who could push all in here makes this a much more dicey situation and you could end up like this with a multi player situation that stinks.

Thanks, I'm feeling a little bit less lonely facing these deciisions... You are right about position, I also think my move was a little bit risky, but as I saiid I was feeling confortable at the table.

By the way how are you calculating the odds ? I found that the pot is 39k and note 55k, because I thought tthat I did not count the money i should put into it to win it. So for me the odd is 16 to 39, a little over 1 to 2.

Am I wrong ?

I would fold, but it is very close.

No need to 3x at this stack depth, 2.5x at largest here.

Yes 3x are my big raises. I'm usually raising 2x or 2.5x. But as I said, I tried to bet a little larger to isolate my neighbor.

Luvepoker

Luvepoker

Lost in the twilight zone
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
By the way how are you calculating the odds ? I found that the pot is 39k and note 55k, because I thought tthat I did not count the money i should put into it to win it. So for me the odd is 16 to 39, a little over 1 to 2.

Am I wrong ?

You are not wrong but looking at it differently than I am. You are looking at the pot odds he is directly giving you and is about 2-1 is correct. What I am doing is adding in your call amount to see how much pot equity you need to make the call. If your hand against his range is better that this number you have the correct amount of equity in the hand to make the call.

Feel free to PM me if you want to discuss more. I would be happy to help you.

Ryan Laplante

Ryan Laplante

CardsChat Pro
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Thanks, I'm feeling a little bit less lonely facing these deciisions... You are right about position, I also think my move was a little bit risky, but as I saiid I was feeling confortable at the table.

Am I wrong ?

Yes 3x are my big raises. I'm usually raising 2x or 2.5x. But as I said, I tried to bet a little larger to isolate my neighbor.
You dont need to go larger to do that. Smaller is best.

Flight777sem

Flight777sem

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It’s a fold, you know that you’re behind and I think you’re not priced in to call. Sure it depends on the table dynamic and opponents but i think it’s a fold. Sometimes better to make discipline fold to keep it tight.