$2 NLHE MTT: JJ should I barrel Q turn?

M

marnburger

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think I'm happy with every other street as played, but was really unsure whether to barrel the Q turn here.
This is pretty deep into the tournament with about 25 players left and $250 up top.

Thanks for any help!

1.8k/3.6k/450 - 10 Max
Seat 1: LJ ( 23.5BB )
Seat 2: HJ ( 13BB )
Seat 3: CU ( 16.5BB )
Seat 4: BTN ( 4.5BB )
Seat 5: Villain ( 44BB )
Seat 6: BB ( 55.5BB )
Seat 7: Hero ( 41.5BB )

[ Jh, Jd ] dealt to Hero UTG
Hero raises to 2BB, fold, HJ calls 2BB, fold, fold, SB calls 1BB, BB folds

Flop [ 6c, 3s, 4s ] 6.7BB

Villain checks
Hero bets 5.8BB
HJ folds
Villain calls 5.8BB

Turn [ Qh ] 18.3BB
Villain checks
Hero checks

River [ 8s ] 18.3BB
Villain bets 5BB
Hero calls 5BB

Villain shows [ 8h, 8d ]
Hero shows [ Jh, Jd ]

Villain collected 28.3BB

A

AlexTheOwl

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Why such a small raise pre-flop? JJ is a hand that doesn't want a lot of callers.

You have a nice hand on the flop, but you don't want to see future streets. They are likely to bring overcards, or complete flush or straight draws (though not many straight draws are in your opponent's range). I'd overbet here.

The Q on the river is a scarey card for you, but not as scary as an A or K would be. There are fewer queens in your opponent's range than aces or kings. You are probably ahead here, and the river is more likely to improve your opponent than it is to improve your hand. I'd bet.

I think the call on the river is fine.

T

trent32la

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Preflop sizing is fine.

Flop I'm betting 1/2 pot because our range needs fair protection and our opponent's calling range will be static.

Turn I'm betting because this Q doesn't exactly connect with much of our opponent's range and we'll get value from all FDs/1 pair hands.

River is a snap call.