$2 NLHE MTT: Flush and straight draw...what do you do to get action

goaldriversv

goaldriversv

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
i'm sitting at tonight's $2 mtt 600gtd at carbon and we're currently in the later part of the mtt (30 players to go...64 get paid). below is the hand in question to get value/action.

sb 1000
bb 2000
ante 200

utg limps in 2000
i'm utg+1. i have jctc and i call 2000
folds around to sb who folds. bb checks

pot size is 7800

flop 5cqc9d

i have flush draw q high and an open ended straight draw.

checks around to me and i bet 4000 (about 1/2 the pot). everyone folds.

is this the right move to make sure no one sucks out on me or should i play this differently to extract value due to the large # of outs?

suby_rafael

suby_rafael

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yes well played leading out there, you had a good draw there on that flop. If it checks around then it is an easy bet. If anyone raises , we can still call and catch up as we have decent number of outs. Good bet !!:)

J

joe777

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Nicely played.At least you managed to win some chips and no one suck out on you.

goaldriversv

goaldriversv

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yes well played leading out there, you had a good draw there on that flop. If it checks around then it is an easy bet. If anyone raises , we can still call and catch up as we have decent number of outs. Good bet !!:)

thanks, if one of the other 2 players (bb or utg) bets, is it better to flat call or raise (possibly go all in if 3 bet)?

Jacki Burkhart

Jacki Burkhart

long winded rambler...
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I'd like to know the stack sizes, especially your stack size, but I think it was well played.

Out of position in spots like this I'll usually check, hoping to get a free card with the intention of check-raising all-in if I think I have any fold equity. If stack sizes are too deep to get it in on this flop, then I'll usually check call.

In position in spots like this, I'll usually bet it out just like you did when checked to. Anytime you can pick up an "orphaned pot" with just Q hi that is a good outcome and if you face any resistance your hand has a lot of equity. I'm guessing because you are getting close to the money stacks are relatively shallow compared to the blinds, and so picking up this pot might mean something like a 20-30% increase to your stack. That is significant and worth pursuing, especially when nobody is showing much interest in the pot.

Monster draws lose a lot of value on the turn and so if you're going to play a big pot you want to do so when you've still got 2 cards to come.

S3mper

S3mper

Poker Not Checkers
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Yup would need to know stack sizes and I don't know what you guys mean no one sucked out on him he had J high lolz..

Later stages in an MTT with blinds so high you can probably bet less then 1/2 the pot to get players to fold and or get wanted action..

Me I'm more then happy to take down this pot in late stages with J high

Himanshu

Himanshu

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It was a good play you just want some one to hit his set or two pair when you make a flush to get some action sadly that wasn't the case.You took the lead on the pot with your bet and took it down which is good you don't want anyone else to catch up on you so when you think you are in with a good chance its best to bet.

danprince10

danprince10

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You played it fine. Semi bluffing is the nuts. When nobody has anything they fold and you win the pot, and when they stick around to see you hit they pay you off. This time it was the immediate win option. That's fine. gh.

H

hffjd2000

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Agree. Good play.

Its better to get small chips than giving all our chips.

C

credsfan03

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
As played betting is the correct play. But the big mistake is limping utg+1 after somebody else already limped. The reverse implied odds in a hand like this are huge. Which means a lot of the time when you hit a flop you will be up against a hand like A 10 on a ten high flop and will have trouble getting away from your hand. The correct play would be to fold if your not playing deep or you can raise if you do have a nice stack.

Full Flush Poker