$2.20 NLHE MTT Turbo: Misplayed Aces

Jon Poker

Jon Poker

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would like your analysis on this hand in particular. I think a combination of things led me to call this one off and get cracked. Overall once the hand played out I just felt like I played it completely wrong post flop. I think the correct line is to check back the flop, possibly call turn bets and fold to all jams. Since I did not do that - I think when he jams the flop I should also fold...just too hard to be good here without the As I think. Anyhow...opinions?

http://mysmp.me/vh_nCt

eetenor

eetenor

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Ace spade blocker

I would like your analysis on this hand in particular. I think a combination of things led me to call this one off and get cracked. Overall once the hand played out I just felt like I played it completely wrong post flop. I think the correct line is to check back the flop, possibly call turn bets and fold to all jams. Since I did not do that - I think when he jams the flop I should also fold...just too hard to be good here without the As I think. Anyhow...opinions?

Thank U 4 Posting.

With the Ace of spades a fold should be more likely by you. That takes away a lot of limped flush draws, leaving way more sets and two pairs and flush draw straight draw combos.
A10s is 37.4 % vs 108s is 55.1%

As played you were 60% to win when you called so this is not a bad call at all based on the hand the fish was willing to go with.

What you need to think about is the villain's range limping under the gun and if the villain has the range advantage and the nut advantage on that flop.

So do you see fishy villains limping small pairs and calling raises?
Are they playing suited connectors this way?
Are they limping weak aces?
Or as we saw is it more likely they have these suited paint hands when they limp?

Whatever range is most likely that dictates how you play a flop such as this.

Hope this helps

:):)

Tmoney999

Tmoney999

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I dont think yu played it horribly, you just got very unlucky and had very little information to work with, the utg limper could have a wide range of hands depending on the player and how he plays which you should have had a bit of a read on depending how many hands you guys played together. aces in that spot are tricky to fold, you gambled and called and got unlucky. he doesnt hit that draw all the time and its unlikely he open shoves a set unless hes a freak. Just very unlucky spot. really depends on the player and if you like to gamble cu thats what your doing when u call and arent sure.;)

V

Veritas

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

Your sizing is too small. sure, you want to Keep him in the pot, but Winning the pot is more important.
you have ~15bb and an UTG limper, just shove because you have the best Hand.
if he folds, you increase your stack by almost 20% which is a lot!
if he calls, you have 80% equity.

So instead of having a tough decision after his check raise all-in, let him make the guess if limp calling with QJs is a good Play ^^

Jon Poker

Jon Poker

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Your sizing is too small. sure, you want to Keep him in the pot, but Winning the pot is more important.
you have ~15bb and an UTG limper, just shove because you have the best Hand.
if he folds, you increase your stack by almost 20% which is a lot!
if he calls, you have 80% equity.

So instead of having a tough decision after his check raise all-in, let him make the guess if limp calling with QJs is a good Play ^^

I really usually hate open shoving Aces because you rarely get any action...but I think in this spot that's totally fine and probably what I should have done in the first place. If he calls the same results happen and that's ok - overall I think I misplayed them either way.

V

Veritas

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I really usually hate open shoving Aces because you rarely get any action...but I think in this spot that's totally fine and probably what I should have done in the first place. If he calls the same results happen and that's ok - overall I think I misplayed them either way.

not sure if he is that bad to limp call an all-in with QJ :D

I think you played it fine, you got it in as a favourite and he hit his draw, that's it.

NCDaddy

NCDaddy

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Your post flop bet was way too small. However, that he check raised with the subsequent all in tells me that no matter how you played it, his chips were going in the middle, as was yours. Not sure there's anything else you could do there.

JBGoode

JBGoode

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

I'm actually gonna save this one for our study group on Tues. Without going into a ton of detail. I dont see any mistakes. Pretty standard play. I do think our Pre Flop sizing is way too big. Which forces us to play for stacks on the flop. Granted I dont believe we are folding regardless. Like I said we will talk about it on Tues.

pentazepam

pentazepam

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
SE
Chips
Is this a joke?

It seems like the effective stacks on the flop is less than a pot sized bet.

Deeper this is of course a very dangerous flop and you don't want to risk like 100bb on it.

But since you are totally pot committed the the stack to pot ratio is ca 1 not much to debate.

On this super-wet flop just put him all-in on the flop. he has the odds to call with his hand and good draws.

On a dryer board you can maybe bet smaller or even check to induce if he is aggressive. But the money goes in either way.

Just bet the rest of his money on the flop.

C

Cash2019

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello! A difficult postflop decision. I don’t think you made a big mistake, since the effective stack was small. If your stack had 100 bb, then it is a fold, but in this hand I would hardly fold. The problem is that reraising usually means a ready-made strong hand, and villian may have a set or a better combination.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You are not looking to get away from two aces with an effective starting stack of 10-14BB. Its a golden opportunity to dubble up, which you dont get very often, so its only a question of, how do you want to stack it off. I think, there are two ways to do it:

1) Jam over the limp preflop. Stacks are short enough for that, and you can balance it out by also jamming with some hands, where you dont mind it, if everyone fold.

2) Bet like you did preflop in the hope, that it induces someone else to jam, and when the fish just call, jam the flop to put him all in.

The way, you played it, was not terrible, but with so few chips left behind, I dont see any point in even making it a 2 street game. He either has a hand, he is going to go with, or he missed and is going to fold to preserve his last chips.

Honestly the forum is full of hands like this, that are just completely standard coolers. And they are kind of boring, because there is very little education value in them. Sure there are a few different ways, we could have played aces here. But none of them involve folding, so the result would have been the same anyway.

Last edited:
M

maxi_j

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Very well played. I don`t see effective stacks of opponents after you so if its 10-14bb you can isolate even smaller raise pre. Flop small bet is good (you can even check the flop, because efective stack makes it one street play)) this induces desperate bluff you will se in this spot ATC. Very good hand. And just very unlucky flop.

Vilgeoforc

Vilgeoforc

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
A check on the flop with AA in hand is a terrible game. You played your hand right overall. Only, it seems to me that on the flop you put a little. With a stack of 12 BB I would have played push already on the flop.

theANMATOR

theANMATOR

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Give the Limper the HARD decision

Pretty much agree with Veritas above - although I'd increase the 3bet preflop to something like 16-18k because - like you I dislike open shoving rockets. By raising large you let the fish know - same as Veritas stated - this hand is for stacks if he makes the preflop call. Because the UTG player is identified as a fish - I'd rather raise large and let them choose to give me more chips - rather than open shoving - and loosing out on those potential chips which fish love to give up.

Regardless of the choice - this is just unlucky - and you could not have played it any other way post flop. Nobody except ultra NITs are folding your hand, and checking back on the flop is very passive - a loosing strategy because it often results in opponents 'getting there'.

Thinking about Veritas point a little deeper - to open shove - I believe that is the best option here. Given the fish is probably calling it off - and if not he's totally dominated and has to get lucky to win. Placing the difficult decision on him with Q/J s is the best decision, even better than my original suggestion to raise large pre.

I do think our Pre Flop sizing is way too big. Which forces us to play for stacks on the flop. Granted I dont believe we are folding regardless. Like I said we will talk about it on Tues.
Interesting - I thought the preflop way too small. What better time to play for stacks but when holding AA. Well - better to play for stacks on the river holding the nuts - but this is not minus EV situation with UTG limper. I also dislike playing for stacks preflop - but when holding the best starting hand - placing the difficult decision on the limper is a better move in my mind.