$2.20 NLHE MTT Deep Stacked: Villain "feeler bet on river" 3 bet shove! ???

Sil3ntness

Sil3ntness

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
$2.20 NLHE MTT Deep Stacked: Villain "feeler bet on river" 3 bet shove! ???

*** BLINDS & ANTES *** 360 total (15/75/150) 9 max $2.20 MTT

*** PREFLOP ***

Sil3ntness Hole Cards: :as4: :kc4: (Stack size: 8800)
Villain (HJ) (Stack size: 15,619)
---

UTG-1 Calls 150
UTG-2 Folds
UTG-3 Calls 150
MP-1 Folds
MP2-2 Folds
HJ Raises 800
Button (Hero) Calls 800
SB Folds
BB Folds
UTG-1 Calls 650
UTG-3 Folds

*** POSTFLOP *** (2910 pot)
Community Cards: :2s4: :jd4: :2h4:
UTG-1 Checks
HJ Bet 1400
Hero (button) Calls 1400
UTG-1 Folds

*** POSTTURN *** (5710)

Community Cards: :2s4: :jd4: :2h4: :kh4:

HJ Checks
Button (hero) Checks

*** POSTRIVER *** (5710)
Community Cards: :2s4: :jd4: :2h4: :kh4: :7d4:
HJ Bet 185
Button (hero) Raises 3000
HJ went All In 13219
Button (hero) Folds

*** END OF FOLDED GAME ***
HJ won 11710 from Pot 1
HJ had 10404 returned from uncalled Pot 2
*** END OF GAME ***

WTF!? Did villain have JK and slow played it? Only reasonable thing I can think of is villain had hit a jack on the flop and c-bet, then on the turn they made 2 pair. They checked to see if I had hit the King, but I didn't want to get check raised so I checked back in position. Then on the river I pretty much got check-allin anyways.

Second scenario: They could of had 77 and tried to bet me off the pot, the turn forced them to check, and then on the river they picked up a fullhouse. So only logical thing I can think of is either JKs or 77. Isolating limpers preflop with 22 doesn't seem right & plus flopping quads would be amazing, and checking quads on the turn would be just weird. Also villain could have AA, but why check the turn to see if I hit the king? I'm still going with either JKs or 77.

I probably should have just 3 bet preflop to see how strong villain's hand is from the HJ seat, but my luck with AK is terrible so I just wanted to flat call and go from the flop. Any thoughts?

Last edited:
horizon12

horizon12

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Why you check in turn ? Board already wet , This board is suitable for a range HJ , there can be many draw , you gave him a free card..

About river , mistake here or he really bet only 185 where pot 5710 ? It seems it is very strange.. For value i am only raises 1500, what he can call with second pair , not always he have Kx , because we have one blocker K..

When villain shove , only fold your stack still very deep , blinds only 75/150 , and you have only top pair.. I think villain have AA KJ JJ 77 or 2x ..Exactly it is not a bluff ,
is also not often villain shove with top pair like KQ , there is no logic in this shove...

Sil3ntness

Sil3ntness

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks for the advice. Yeah I forgot about JJ. You are right I should have bet the turn. The turn gave a flush draw so if I had bet maybe they would only call. If they had raised me on the turn I would have more information and wouldn't have raised so much on the river.

Thanks again! I definitely messed this hand up LOL

G

glemly

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
For starters, do we not have any vp/pfr stats for this guy? or are we going in blind and this is one of the first hands of the tourney?

Under the assumption you know nothing about Villain, I wouldn't even mind a fold with AKo here after the dry flop. The reasoning is because UTG+1 is behind you, and you only have 2 overs here.

If you think about it, what is the average $2.20 MTT player going to raise with pre-flop by 5x the BB? Pocket pairs is the most likely scenario IMO (or maybe he as a LAG and is just trying to steal with complete air, which is unlikely btw in this case). Granted, everyone is deep-stacked here, but honestly that is all the more reason to fold on the flop. You're potentially getting yourself into a tight spot here against another big stack (not sure what the relative stack size was because you only told us Villain and Hero) with only 2 high cards.

Anyway, you call, and so the K on the turn comes. This is pretty much the best card for you. He is showing weakness now and you most likely have the best hand. You need to be betting this every time, be that a small probe bet or a hefty 3/4 pot. No need to give him a free card.

Anyway, you check, and so the river 7 comes and he makes an incredibly weak bet. I've seen this plenty of times before in these stakes and it generally indicates 2 things: 1. - the Villain knows nothing about bet sizing and it is a really weak probe bet. OR 2. - Villain thinks he is being tricky by betting incredibly weak and he is trying to induce a raise against you (I've seen this work a surprising amount of time against players).

I think you made the right river decision by folding after he shoves. In my experience with these tournaments (especially this hand since you and Villain are deep-stacked), anyone who raises on the river should be an indication of immense strength. All-in raises especially. The amount of people willing to go all-in on the river with a bluff with so little comparatively in the pot is few and far between.

i probably put this guy on 77, possibly AA or JJ. These are the kind of hands he would be realistically shoving all-in with on the river after your raise.

Based on the assumption that this guy is a decent player, 77 makes the most sense to me based on his previous action.

Sil3ntness

Sil3ntness

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
For starters, do we not have any vp/pfr stats for this guy? or are we going in blind and this is one of the first hands of the tourney?

Under the assumption you know nothing about Villain, I wouldn't even mind a fold with AKo here after the dry flop. The reasoning is because UTG+1 is behind you, and you only have 2 overs here.

If you think about it, what is the average $2.20 MTT player going to raise with pre-flop by 5x the BB? Pocket pairs is the most likely scenario IMO (or maybe he as a LAG and is just trying to steal with complete air, which is unlikely btw in this case). Granted, everyone is deep-stacked here, but honestly that is all the more reason to fold on the flop. You're potentially getting yourself into a tight spot here against another big stack (not sure what the relative stack size was because you only told us Villain and Hero) with only 2 high cards.

Anyway, you call, and so the K on the turn comes. This is pretty much the best card for you. He is showing weakness now and you most likely have the best hand. You need to be betting this every time, be that a small probe bet or a hefty 3/4 pot. No need to give him a free card.

Anyway, you check, and so the river 7 comes and he makes an incredibly weak bet. I've seen this plenty of times before in these stakes and it generally indicates 2 things: 1. - the Villain knows nothing about bet sizing and it is a really weak probe bet. OR 2. - Villain thinks he is being tricky by betting incredibly weak and he is trying to induce a raise against you (I've seen this work a surprising amount of time against players).

I think you made the right river decision by folding after he shoves. In my experience with these tournaments (especially this hand since you and Villain are deep-stacked), anyone who raises on the river should be an indication of immense strength. All-in raises especially. The amount of people willing to go all-in on the river with a bluff with so little comparatively in the pot is few and far between.

i probably put this guy on 77, possibly AA or JJ. These are the kind of hands he would be realistically shoving all-in with on the river after your raise.

Based on the assumption that this guy is a decent player, 77 makes the most sense to me based on his previous action.

UTG+1 had 10,681 chips. UTG+3 had 8,256 chips. Yeah I don't remember villain's VPIP/PFR off the top of my head. :(

Also villain is in HJ: I thought villain raised to isolate all the limpers. UTG+1 limping just seemed weird (notice UTG+1 folds on flop) Probably was trying to set mine.

KUN_AGUERO_KROOS

KUN_AGUERO_KROOS

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
your re-raise on the river was terrible. If u thought your pair was good u should`ve bet on the turn or just called the 185 on the river. With a pair, u have showdown value. unless he was acting like a maniac before, i would`ve respected his 5x preflop and played cautiously post flop.