$2.20 NLHE MTT Bounty Turbo Rebuy: blind vs blind with TT, should I call him down?

tewwa94

tewwa94

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
$2.20 NLHE MTT Bounty Turbo Rebuy: blind vs blind with TT, should I call him down?

Rewatching the hand I think I could've called him but I had no data about the guy (it was a zoom 3-max tourney). Also it would've made sense that he's betting small with a Q but he also may have a project?

pokerstars, $1.96 + $0.24 - Hold'em No Limit - 1,200/2,400 (240 ante) - 3 players
Hand delivered by Upswing Poker

swert253 (BU): 227,130 (95 bb)
tewwa94 (SB): 95,553 (40 bb)
whitzyxo (BB): 73,579 (31 bb)

Pre-Flop: (4,320) Hero (tewwa94) is SB with T T
1 fold, tewwa94 (SB) raises to 6,000, whitzyxo (BB) calls 3,600

Flop: (12,720) 9 Q Q (2 players)
tewwa94 (SB) checks, whitzyxo (BB) bets 7,200, tewwa94 (SB) calls 7,200

Turn: (27,120) 4 (2 players)
tewwa94 (SB) checks, whitzyxo (BB) bets 7,200, tewwa94 (SB) calls 7,200

River: (41,520) 7 (2 players)
tewwa94 (SB) checks, whitzyxo (BB) bets 21,600, tewwa94 (SB) folds

Total pot: 41,520
whitzyxo (BB) wins 41,520

omnom8

omnom8

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
bet flop bet turn bet river with thise card runs

i will never check this but as played i will call . i dont know what he try to represent. it is bluff or 77 crazy style.

Flight777sem

Flight777sem

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you are calling that turn you might call the river as well.4 or 7 is not changing anything on that board and straight draw is missed also for J-10 or whatever. I guess it’s a bluff most of the time in other option it’s over play of 9 or as 66 77 something. Sure there is a possibility of Q also but I’d call it

Luvepoker

Luvepoker

Lost in the twilight zone
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
To be honest the odds of him having a Q is pretty rare he. I'm not saying he cant have it but it is not likely. I personally would have cbet the flop and bet the turn and river on this run out. This way I could have controlled the bet sizing especially on the river. As you played the hand I would not have been happy but I would have called the river. He is defiantly playing this and trying to get you to think he has the Queen but its more likely he has the 9 and does not believe you have the queen.

E

EarnDAStack

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I really don’t like the check on the flop, you’re miles ahead most of the time. as played, once you check the flop, x/r 66% pot and play jam the turn on anything that isn’t a 9 A or K

Having a big stack is more important in PKOs as well as the value of his bounty make this an easy shove IMO, and even in a Vanilla MTT I think we’re looking to get it in here and if he has a Q he gets our stack and if not, we stack most of what else he calls with 9x low pocket pairs and Ax Kx

X

xrhstos

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In this hand an important factor is villain's sizing.
On the flop they are betting more than half pot and on the turn 1/4th of it.
Usually players increase their bet sizing based on the value of their hand.
Villain betting that little on the turn when there are flush draws and straight draws on the board, means that they want to draw cheeply themselves, or that they are protecting a medium hand pair like 9x.
They can also have a full house, but that's unlikely.
Since everything misses on the river and they almost never play Qx in that way, calling becomes very profitable.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The open raise is very small out of position. He is getting priced in to call with almost anything. Postflop I would call down, if I took this check-to-induce line. I agree with previous poster, that his turn size look weak, and I think, this is going to be a busted draw a huge percentage of the time. We can also bet for value/protection. TT is a hand, that dont mind folding out some overcards. Paired boards are always a little weird though, and overall I dont mind the way, this hand was played other than the river fold.

0815am

0815am

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would raise preflop a little bigger.
As played I would bet flop. Bet turn or check/induce and then either bet river or again check/induce

Jon Poker

Jon Poker

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
To be honest the odds of him having a Q is pretty rare he. I'm not saying he cant have it but it is not likely. I personally would have cbet the flop and bet the turn and river on this run out. This way I could have controlled the bet sizing especially on the river. As you played the hand I would not have been happy but I would have called the river. He is defiantly playing this and trying to get you to think he has the Queen but its more likely he has the 9 and does not believe you have the queen.

I agree with this line of thinking alot. When he bets into us on the turn for a 2nd bet of 7200 - this is a big red flag to me - the huge river bet is not ALWAYS a queen, as previously stated it's pretty hard for our opponent to have a Q with two on the board. Going down the logical road, I think a Q would be betting turn for value and 7200 a second time isnt getting us too much value. It looks more like a blocker bet - maybe one designed to set their price for a draw? Maybe JT, KT, T8 or KJ all looking to hit a straight by setting the price cheap - annnnd all of those hands should be bluffing big when they miss as well targeting all underpairs and unconnected A hi combos to fold.

Anyhow - these boards are tough to hit. With two Q on deck it's that much harder for our opponent to have one - If we fold TT here, I think we are folding too much. If he has the Q good for him- but it is much more likely he has a 9 or a missed draw - I am calling down.

TheDude6622

TheDude6622

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You basically gave up on the river and said take the pot that I built so nicely for you. You have to put in the final bet to protect your hand. Depending on the raise, it's either a call or fold.

A

artmaxus

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Most likely he had a pair of 99 and the actions are quite logical. He called with a couple. The preflop raise is not big, but the flop fell as it should. After that I checked not with big bets.

0815am

0815am

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In this hand an important factor is villain's sizing.
On the flop they are betting more than half pot and on the turn 1/4th of it.
Usually players increase their bet sizing based on the value of their hand.
Villain betting that little on the turn when there are flush draws and straight draws on the board, means that they want to draw cheeply themselves, or that they are protecting a medium hand pair like 9x.
They can also have a full house, but that's unlikely.
Since everything misses on the river and they almost never play Qx in that way, calling becomes very profitable.

I would agree with this observation. I would also probably call river if I call turn or fold turn if I am not calling brick river.

Both will have invested a sizable amount on river which will induce him to bluff and try to rep the queen!

Bozovicdj

Bozovicdj

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Pre-flop:
bet bigger! make the bet bigger because in that spot many players will call and defend the BB position with such a huge range of hands
Flop:
why would you ever check there? what hands would u bet every time if TT is a check, only trip Q?
You have to understand that your hand (TT) in this spot is not much different then having AA, if you are beat, u are only beat by trip Q, since odds for that to happen are small, I'd say opponent could have 89 or maybe A9 or something.
Since you did check, and since you called two streets, call the river too.