GreenDaddy1

GreenDaddy1

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
888 Poker - 6000/12000 Ante 1500 NL - Holdem - 8 players
Hand converted by PokerTracker 4
UTG+1: 43.02 BB (VPIP: 20.83, PFR: 8.33, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, hands: 24)
MP: 37.21 BB (VPIP: 33.33, PFR: 25.00, 3Bet Preflop: 14.29, Hands: 24)
MP+1: 84.68 BB (VPIP: 31.82, PFR: 31.82, 3Bet Preflop: 22.22, Hands: 22)
CO: 25.68 BB (VPIP: 20.83, PFR: 17.39, 3Bet Preflop: 16.67, Hands: 24)
BTN: 15.64 BB (VPIP: 37.50, PFR: 28.57, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 8)
SB: 18.75 BB (VPIP: 25.00, PFR: 16.67, 3Bet Preflop: 20.00, Hands: 24)
Hero (BB): 36.17 BB
UTG: 26.17 BB (VPIP: 13.04, PFR: 4.35, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 24)
8 players post ante of 0.13 BB, SB posts SB 0.5 BB, Hero posts BB 1 BB
Pre Flop: (pot: 2.5 BB) Hero has 7s Qs
fold, fold, MP raises to 2.33 BB, fold, fold, fold, fold, Hero calls 1.33 BB
Flop: (6.17 BB, 2 players) Qd Ad 2h
Hero checks, MP bets 2.08 BB, Hero calls 2.08 BB
Turn: (10.33 BB, 2 players) Qc
Hero checks, MP bets 5.17 BB, Hero raises to 12.5 BB, MP calls 7.33 BB
River: (35.33 BB, 2 players) 4d
Hero bets 19.13 BB and is all-in, MP calls 19.13 BB

Money bubble had just burst here. Defending the BB against a similar size stack, around 36BB.

I'm happy to call the flop and see what develops, never folding to a typical c bet here.

Obviously thrilled with the turn card. I've re-raised for value, also thinking in the moment I might get a few draws to fold. In reality, having checked now the odds I've given, I don't think I've made the odds bad enough to fold out the flush draws given the situation. Any thoughts on that? Do I even want them to fold? Obviously there is money to be made if they call and then miss their draw.

Once villain has called the turn re-raise and then the flush draw makes it on the river I think perhaps I've made a mistake with 19BB left behind. Perhaps I can check/fold? My concern with checking is that it allows Ax hands to bluff me off the pot due to fear of the flush. So with that in mind I shoved, accepting that any flush has me beat but I should be ahead often enough for this to be +EV. I can't see any reason to check/call, surely I need to maintain the aggression if I am putting another cent in here?

Do I need to take more care with my last 19BB here and keep myself alive? I'm trying to get out of the habit of playing simply to be happy getting in the money, my goal is final table, and I figure I'm going to need to gamble to some extent several times throughout the tournament to do that. I suppose my question is, was this one of those times or am I showing too much aggression in this spot?

Q

quant1986

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think normally villain would slow down on the turn if he has TT,JJ,Ax and very likely to fold your re-raise. I doubt he would still open with T9s, 98s preflop. So I would give villain the range KdJd,TdJd AA,KxQh, AQh, and maybe AK to continue after your check-raised the turn.

As played I would just check-call the flop/turn, and re-evaluate the river.
Although you have trip Q, the board texture is still favourable to preflop raiser I would say.

Does villain has good Ax bluff...probably not unless he blocks Kd.
I think I will not defend Q7s against MP open unless multiway.

Just my 2 cents

puzzlefish

puzzlefish

🙉 🙈 🙊 student of the donk arts
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
I think the play was okay the way it is. I don't see any other outcome than an all in on the river once the flush got there. If you had shoved on the turn, that may be more preservative than waiting for the flush to complete on the river.

In terms of staying alive with 19bb vs. risking it all, I think that depends on the timing for each blind level, your bank roll and what you are trying to achieve in any given $2.20 tourney. If there's no rush with the timing, you can probably find better situations to stack up than this. However, if the blinds are increasing quickly, then you would be more inclined to make a riskier play like this.

Luvepoker

Luvepoker

Lost in the twilight zone
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I agree with your call preflop with this hand and would have done the same thing on the flop. The problem was the turn. While it is unlikely he has a Queen you re raise was not advisable. Think of the hands he could have raise pre flop and there are many queens in his range that have you crushed? While we know there are people who play and Ace rag like its a monster the re-raise while smaller than i would have made and it helps him fold out a lot of ace small hands you want to get value from on the river. I would have just called and made a value bet on the river. You would have had 25+ BB when the rive came and could have called what probably would have been a 1/2 pot bet and still had plenty of chips just in case you lost here. It may seem a bit nit like but i think its better when you have a bad kicker.

Matt Vaughan

Matt Vaughan

King of Moody Rants
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think we at least need to acknowledge that when the villain continues betting as the preflop aggressor on this turn card, it's at least reasonably likely he DOESN'T have just the Ax holdings. The turn card is decidedly better for us than for him because he won't necessarily cbet all or even any Qx in his range.

Likewise his Ax doesn't like the turn card. But it has SDV and will often check back. So on turn when he barrels and we x/r, I THINK we're targeting the draws and combo draws more so than his Ax hands. The good news is I don't think we're beat often.

However, when the river comes in and brings the most obvious draw in, it's a good range card for both of us but horrible for our exact holding. I think that makes this hand a good candidate to x evaluate. I'm not even sure what we really get value from when we jam here frankly.

GreenDaddy1

GreenDaddy1

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yeah the shove was not good. Villain had 10d 8d, which made it even more not good.

Full Flush Poker